1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Generation Gap!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

Thank you for asserting that feeling. I was worried about the ordering of superfluous "N" and "A" when trying to arrange anagrammatically my previous avatar in the outgrowth of my current avatar.

Is that "NO" or "ON"
    "No" to denote: I cannot endure anymore
    "On" to denote: Bring it on

Such correlation of my benevolence is tempting me to search in Spanish telephone directory which incidentally catalogs some of the longest names next time when I hunt for virtual handles.

I ventured as a sub-Saharan haboob zooming past the Mediterranean to enfold as whirligig in Indian Ocean and wreck the coastal tranquility with slosh of my turbid writing. Such warm mixture in the form of your greeting has definitely cooled the core and decelerated the carnage to pelting shower.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It looks as though I can position myself as a Haboob Buster with a lucrative pay! A haboob after my treatment can become so adorable that people will start singing 'Mere mehaboob'!

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful summation sir... I agree with your mom National geographic channel is far better than the ever scheming stories of soap n ever running after heroine movies as if she were a chocolate not a human being at all pshaw now entertainment has lost that simple humane touch where we get the lump in our throats watching the old man coughing away to his tomb....
    The least said about cricket the better....

4. Cheeniya

Dear vjb
    Thank you for visiting an ancient thread of mine! The passing years have further increased the generation gap so much that I feel like an alien in my own family and friends circle! My mum (May God keep blessing her soul!) was an extremely practical woman with unmatched wisdom. She always maintained that we had more to learn from birds and animals than from fellow humans. That is what I am doing now and one thing that I have learned from them is that there is no hypochondriac among them!
    Sri

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna your new avatar is very nice

6. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Reading you post took me down memory lane :) We lived in the Railway campus and just a few people had TVs but every Sunday all of us used to gather in one of their house to watch the Sunday movie and we loved every movie. Now it has been a long time since we have gone to movie. They do not appeal, the generation gap :))

Cheeniya and kaniths like this.
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya, you are a softie! Who would have guessed you'd weep buckets over old movies?!

As for me, I never cry while watching the melodramatics. It's just that some idiot keeps chopping onions next to me.

-

satchitananda, Cheeniya and meril like this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

How do we define a 'generation' gap when that gap is seen within the same individual over the years? A split personality, perhaps? In that case, I need to make an urgent appointment with the shrink.

Just two days ago BH decided to turn on a channel which I did not know existed. Old Hindi film songs were playing. In the 70's when television first made its appearance in many homes, I remember watching old B&W Hindi films and enjoying the songs. I can totally relate when you talk about the coughing father/mother in those films, the symbolism in scenes etc.

Cut forward to today. I find it very strange watching those films - the dialogue delivery which comes across as very affected, the clothes, the hair styles etc. (The only thing that escapes this rule is my craze for old songs - the lyrics used to be sheer poetry as against one which goes "aati kya khandala?":shakehead:)It feels like one is in a different world altogether. So yes, though there are no children or grandchildren involved, my generation gap is inside my own head. :-D

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your narrative CS. But then that is not so surprising is it? :-D

Amica likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

Lakshmi
    Thank you for visiting my thread almost a decade after I posted it. When I posted it I was in my mid-60's and now I am in my mid-70's but the generation gap has remained static. Logically this can be explained by the fact that the people around us also grow up and the gap has to remain constant. But age gap is one thing but the generation gap another. The former is mere arithmetic but the latter is more complex. Lot of factors come into play in determining the generation gap. I have a couple of cousins who are my peers. They refuse to leave our ancient village and have spent their whole life there. Whenever we meet, there is a generation gap even between me and them! At my mid-70, my grandchildren find me a lot more acceptable than when I was in my mid-60.
    Sri