1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The fly in the White House!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 21, 2009.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,
    Quite an interesting post.Obama has demonstrated to the world in a subtle but yet a decisive way his determination and skill in pursuing his agenda and that he will not brook any fly in the ointment.
    One chap boasted that he killed five flies-three of them males and two females.When asked how he found out the sex of the flies he replied that the males were sitting on the beer cans and the females on the telephone receiver[courtesy-Times of india]
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priti
    From what you say, I suppose it will be just next to nothing to make news in US particularly if one is a top guy like Obs! I too saw that write up in the Hindu. The thought that occurred to me immediately was that if Obs does not make it to the White House again, some premium 5 Star hotel would offer him the Chief Chef's job at 5 times the Presidential salary! But I personally see no danger of such a contingency as Obs will continue to ride the crest of the popular wave for several years!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear LN
    Strangely you are the second person to point out that Obama has sent out a subtle message to the world through this unprecedented incident. I am now more than convinced that the whole thing was conceived and executed as part of an image building exercise. This has possibly been rendered necessary by the fact that some of the Presidential actions in the economic scene have exposed a chink in his armour!

That was a very clever joke. Absolutely logical! Hats off to you for it!
    Sri

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheensaar,

Liked your take on the fly in the Whitehouse.

It is my belief that the fly was Godsend and it definitely told the world that here is a man who will swat flies and other pests, also the human kind, if they cause a nuisance!

I thought this president swatting fly incident was funny. Only after reading your rambling did I realize how funny it really was!

Do we need a Cheeniya, oh yes we do !:thumbsup

L, Kamla

5. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Appa,

I am late as ususual.., But the day I saw the news item I was thinking of you only. My thinking was "If at all you had seen that then we would be getting a royal feast" ...my prediction came sooo true.

I was also dumbfounded seeing the fly lying motionless on the costliest of carpets that too just one blow...was wondering how did Obama manage that. But never knew that Indian counterparts are more brisk and the US cannot stand near to them. Maybe they have to take a less from their counterparts here.

All said & done whether Obama's termination made the newsline or not you are as usual kallikkifying and rocking here in IL...what to say making a mountain out of a mole hill...who else can do it except you that too soo humourously...hats off appa.

6. Cheeniya

Dear Kamlaji
    I really do not know if there is anything called poignant humour but if there is, then this certainly qualifies for that category. When I read what I have written, I feel as if I am Nero playing on his fiddle while Rome is burning like inferno. Here is a fly that just commits an act of indiscretion by entering the Presidential chamber without knocking and trying to get very pally with the President and does it get away with a mild rebuke? No Madam! It is executed summarily without even looking at the episode from its point of view!

This is certainly not judicially equitable!

You still think IL needs Cheeniya after reading all this rambling? God bless you!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Penne!
    So if someone swats a fly to death, only then you think of your Appa? I don't know how you connect me to the fly swatters of the world!

What do you mean by saying that Indian flies are more brisk than the US flies? Is it patriotism? I am happy that you have at least said that 'maybe they have to take a lesson from their counterparts here'

But penne, I really thank you for taking off your hat for me. I am happy you enjoyed the thread. That makes me happy too!
    Sri

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Thank you for leading me to this thread! I read and re-read, again this time and let me be honest Cheeniya sir, I really did not know for a change how to react to this thread. That does not mean, I did not enjoy it! How can I not? Only you can spin a tale on a subject like this while I can't even respond! So I, diligently went through all the responses and sir, I have to tell you I still like that man, for he simply really did it, that is become the President! How incredible that is! As for the fly squatting, with my rose tinted glasses on, in all matters concerning him (at one point, I was even fascinated with the way he pulled up the sleeves of his shirt and almost defended him for his smoking as well :oops:, I hear you OBAMANIA!) all I can say is, it simply shows his simplicity - he did not wait for it to be taken care of, pulled those sleeves up and took care!

And those flies sir, like you have rightly pointed out must be dumber than their counter parts in India, for every spring/summer I diligently wait for the one odd fly that enters the house to escape by itself and all it does is to keep roaming around the nearest glass window hitting against it, trying to find a way, refusing to see the widely opened doors and you know what eventually chooses to die a slow death near that window after 3-4 days! So from that point of view, I think he did a service irrespective of what the world thinks or reads into his actions! And as for the coverage, well what can I say? Dumber than the flies here?

And Cheeniya Sir, I have been meaning to say this "Congratulations on that platinum crown".

1 person likes this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Hilarious! May be security is only for human beings...not for centipedes and millipedes and may be snakes.They trust an insect and not a human being.Because the President cannot do anything about terrorism, wars and such things...he showed to the world in full view of the camera that he can kill a fly...that too American.Press made a big show.....it is my own reasoning.....common man would not understand deeper politics anyway, let us entertain him with these tit bits. In New York times or any paper, if this item is published on the first page they would read first this only and not about American domestic or foreign policies or some economic figures which is Greek and Latin to many.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I have the following comments to make about your post:

1) Now I know how the President got the brilliant idea to execute the most dreaded terrorist in the world who was moving freely like a fly escaping the wrath of precision bombing in Afghanistan. It eventually needed direct physical action of the President

2) This fly bypassed the high security of White House and it was not fair for the fly to meet the President without following the well written and meticulously followed protocol

3) He is being the first African American President of the United States, his every action is watched, discussed, reviewed and criticized. To be honest with you, the Congress before approving the action of the President would probably put a filibuster to indicate the manner in which the President did it was not approved by the Congress

4) Generally swatting flies are always associated with someone who has nothing else to do, and as the press is still contemplating whether to support his second term as President or not, wanted to highlight the President's action to the people and take a survey from the American people whether they approve of that President's action or not

5) One last thing. swatting the flies is also associated with copying someone else, in general. The press coverage on this is being used by the opposition to trivialize President's action as mere copying of his predecessor.

Viswa

1 person likes this.