1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Fallout Of Forgive And Forget?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There is a popular dialog in Bollywood movies, where the hero standing in front of God in a suitably derelict temple, or the oppressor, or a group of the oppressed, asserts that it is wronger to bear injustice, exploitation, oppression, wrongdoing, than to deliver it. All emerge energized and rejuvenated from the sermon.

There is the popular wisdom about forgive and forget being the recipe for less strife in mind and life.

Do these contradict?

Does the oppressed, wronged, exploited have an obligation or duty to do his little bit to fight the wrong? Does the wronged owe it to himself and humankind to do what he can to ensure the wrongdoer doesn't dare repeat the act?

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Forgiving if you can is not a weakness. Nor does it mean that one should not be assertive in demanding his/her rights. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

. Just got these two quotes

Living with the Attitude of 2-GET & 2-GIVE creates too many PROBLEMS….
    But, Just DOUBLE the attitude to 4-GET & 4-GIVE solves all the PROBLEMS…..

Mistake is a single page in a part of life. But relation is a book of dictionary. Just do not lose a full book for a single page.
    Because it can takes years to build strong relationship BUT possibly only a moment to tear it apart.
    So Trust , Keep the faith, Have Courage to Forgive, Give another chance

When someone is right , he has every right to fight the wrong.

Itsmylife143, kaniths and Rihana like this.
  4. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Very difficult question Rihana. Frankly, the Bollywood fight scenes scare the hell out of me. I doubt that I could ever emulate them. Being a born coward, I normally take the easy way out: Forget. As far as Forgive goes, I probably fail, but Forget being stronger than Forgive, the question of forgiving ultimately takes a back seat. I can't remember avenging myself on my "enemies".

But I have come across people who seek revenge. I am not sure that they find peace of mind even if they succeed in their efforts.

oj

kcb, Rihana and satchitananda like this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

(social / economic / political / geographic) scenarios - yes. (imho)

Amica and Rihana like this.
  6. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

???

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A good question Rihana and the answer is rather obvious!
    Let me tell you what I have seen and heard of the brutal hacking of Swathi, a techie from Infosys at a suburban railway station in broad day light last week. The killer goes to the girl sitting in a bench, whips out his long knife and hacks her to instant death. Then he throws the weapon in the railway track and runs to the side lane by jumping over the wall and disappears. The body lies in a pool of blood for over an hour. People in the station stand rooted to their spot and no attempt is made to chase the youngster even after he throws away the knife. Some take a picture of the girl lying dead.

What does this imply? It does not imply apathy. It just implies the strong instinct of self preservation. Last month, a RTI activist of Chennai was murdered by seven hired goons in a crowded market place. The victim was proving to be an inconvenience to some influential builders who were flouting norms freely. He merely wanted to ensure that the building activity in Chennai followed the norms laid down. And he paid a very heavy price for it.

It may be possible in movies for an undernourished hero to go barehanded against some twenty armed thugs and beat them to pulp but in reality even twenty people won't be able to handle a single thug! Forget and forgive are all tall talk. We are just weak. We just want to remain alive and conduct our life as peacefully as possible. We just sit at home and mouth obscenities like 'Does every girl get killed like this? There must be something wrong with her!'
    Sri

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

One ca forgive but it would e foolish to forget. lest history repeat itself. Even this is o a small scale
    0. Large scale tyranny can either be forgiven or forgotten

sindmani, Rihana and satchitananda like this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I don't know OJ in what terms Rihana mentions 'oppressed', 'exploited' and all, I can only think of the dalits, the srilankan tamils, burmese and syrian refugees, immigrants, the black people, the autonomous power, corruption, being women, rights, inequalities and such things. Would anyone want to just forgive these scenarios? forgotten, yes of course, because none of this is our problem. Cheeniya is right, just all talk!

sindmani, padma0604 and Rihana like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

When fixing responsibility, we also have to consider the level of consciousness/awareness when the act was committed.

Our parents imposed physical punishments which by today's standards would count as child abuse. Can we hold it against them till we breathe our last? They knew no different. That was the norm and perfectly acceptable in their times. What can we do? Forget might be hard, because it is we who faced the physical/emotional/mental repercussions. Forgive? That should be possible if we can understand that they knew no different. Allow parents today to continue to do the same? No way! If we don't let go of what has happened in the past, we can know no peace. Forgive or don't forgive, at least learn to let go.

sindmani and Rihana like this.