1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Election In My College!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear PS
    I was thrilled by your calling me a 'Vasishta' and wondered at your vision! I have a beard which is very much similar to what Vasishta has in the various paintings. In all other aspects, I am a big zero in comparison to that great sage.
    English is not the 'be all and end all' of human life. In countries like China, Russia and Japan they are on top of the world without knowing even the alphabet of English.
    Sri

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

That's three years earlier than Philip Larkin's Annus Mirabilis which changed the rules of courtship.

Favourites? taking of favourites, let me wield the privilege of being a woman for once and tell you the other side of the story. Guys are no less picky with their favourites. Mind, they not only identify their favourites within the campus walls but the taxonomy of woo-ship stretches and envelopes the city borders. A typical rulebook for an adolescent city-slicker reads: (1) Girls from heavily anglicized St Anne's or St Mary's or other Saintly College play hard to get. Don't go after them though one might mistake them for ethereal and milky beauties descended from heaven. (2) Girls from bourgeoisie colleges are plaited and groomed and agreeable, however, they would invariably start and end their lines with "talk to my parents" to the utter impairment of a guy. (3) Girls from colleges taken after names of great Indian philosophers and spiritual leaders command no attention whatsoever.

I spent a year in category (3) educational institute and realised to my puzzlement that not even rickshaw pullers wait upon the girl students there. It was rumoured that this was the nexus where the hatchet-faced girls colluded to sabotage the well-disposed plans of smitten boys sneaking up the walls in other appealing colleges. What can I say, girls have their own woes which creep in with enrolment in the wrong college to begin with. All the Lunas, Hondas and Bullets revved around these other prestigious colleges and not even a cake festival at our college could lure one of those "shapeless sack of soiled potatoes."

College elections are fun! I used to keep myself away from that brouhaha but the slogans and posters are fun to watch. Who knows, if I had contested in stealth, away from the prying eyes of my parents, my college would have shuddered to a Golda Meir in me.

Note, I loved this blog. It is very relatable across all genders as every side has their untold swoon and ache which transpires as foiled election campaign or fermented cake batter.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Philip Larkin? Do I know him? I would have said emphatically, Sure I do, if my Google had not let me down today! But I know courtships. There have been codes of courtship from the days of Ardipithecus and they keep changing. Even my maternal uncle who is 99 now has made a few jottings on the subject and called it 'Down the Memory Lane'! He has mentioned of love of yore being sung by him to a neighboring girl but he was terribly handicapped as there were very few love songs then! It got slightly better during my days and has peaked now!
    I am surprised to hear of the Three-tier system mentioned by you. We had only two like the share market today. Bulls and bears! Needless to say I belonged to the latter. I do not have to elaborate on the functionalities of the two!
    Sri

vaidehi71 likes this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Ardipithecus? Do I know him? I would have said emphatically, sure I do, if my Google had not let me down today!

What a discovery! The characters from Bahubali movie can now trace back their ancestry to this A. ramidus and A. kadabba in Ardipithecus' family tree (glowing bulb!)

Mind you, this is pre-FB, pre-Twitter, pre-Snapchat era. I won't be surprised if this linear three-tier system exploded into a branched multi-tier system amongst the young digiterati of today. I have observed that our conversations, irrelevant to the original topic, invariably converge at boy-girl dating woes. Guess these grouses are timeless and don't smooth out over the ages, in fact, the growing unrest only compounds such predicaments of paying court to those who hardly know that we even exist.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    If I am some 70 years younger, I would have said jubilantly 'Same pinch' and given you a loving pinch!
    Do you know what? A research scholar in Andhra has communicated his desire to do a research on the ancestry of that Bahubali guy with a defective eye and strange dialect that sounded like dropping of pebbles in a pond!
    It is a point to be noted that we always talk of boy-girl when the subject of relationship comes. We hardly talk of man-woman relationship. This could be a subject matter of a future blog of mine!
    Sri

vaidehi71 likes this.