1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Election And The Expectation - Wish You All A Very Happy Tamil New Year!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Apr 14, 2011.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

It was the annual elections at our Club to elect the President, Secretary, Treasurer and 9 members of the Executive Committee.

A friend of mine who has been playing badminton with me for several years was contesting for the Treasurer’s post.

He had lost three times in the past. This time his pleas were pathetic.

“I feel very bad, Sridhar. I need to win this election at least to salvage what is left of my reputation.”

It was a call for help.

I and all his other friends passionately responded. We formed ourselves into a task force and laid down the strategy.

In the next ten days we would have virtually called all the thousand plus members of the Club at least two times.

On the election day I was in the booth half an hour before polling started. I proudly wore a badge proclaiming my support to my friend.

I met everybody who came to vote and requested them to support my friend.

The members were surprised. For during my fifteen years of membership never have I so openly supported anybody’s candidature in the club-elections.

I was also booed and at times even insulted by the opposite group. I was threatened by a friend of the opposing candidate.

Bad words were hurled at me. I was jeered. I cared a damn.

I had done my home-work. I had dug into my friend’s past and found out he was a clean man. The only problem with him was that he was brutally frank.

And my only suggestion to him was to continue to be frank without being brutal.

The voting was over at 2: 30 in the afternoon. My friend was exhausted. He did not have the emotional strength to wait for the results.

He took me to the Election Officer and told him that I would be his representative during counting.

Around 4 the counting started. The representative of the opposing candidate and I sat next to each other.

Before us the ballot boxes were emptied. In the presence of the Election Officer a staff member of the club showed us every vote before putting it in the right box.

At first the opponent appeared to be leading. I was crestfallen.

The opponent’s representative told me in a whisper, “Don’t lose heart, Sridhar. You have done tremendous work. God won’t let you down.”

These words came right from the mouth of the opponent. I was floored. I had to struggle hard to control my tears.

Soon the trend started to change. Now for every vote the opponent gained we gained one. And the trend continued with greater intensity. It was 2:1 in our favour. By 4 45 the final tally was out.

We had won by 109 votes. The largest margin ever in the recent history of the Club. I called my friend to announce the result. He was too emotional to speak.

The election is over. What about the expectation?

Two days back when I drove in to the club I was really happy to see my friend’s Volkswagen Polo parked in the lot reserved for the Club Treasurer.

I felt I have been amply rewarded for my efforts.

Honestly I did not expect anything from him. Not even administrative reforms. Expecting any return benefit from him would have made the friendship of several years a mere sham.

Political elections are different. They are all about politicians. Let’s not talk about them now. We’ll deal with them in our next Zoology class.

Suppose my friend were to give me a wad of currencies, “Sridhar, this is for your effort”, I would have thrown the notes on his face and ended the friendship.

Just think it over, ladies! When we help our friends we don’t expect them to reward us. And if the friends are really close we don’t even expect a word of thanks from them.

In fact we shout at them if they utter the T word. Just helping them out and seeing them happy is the best reward for our labour.

Can’t we not treat God as our friend? Why should we expect the God to reward us for our prayer, meditation, flower-throwing and camphor-showing?

When we chant his name 108 times we want a halo around our face. And if it is 1008 times we want to be crowned as spiritual masters.

Why? Why should we treat God with whom we share an eternal inseverable relationship worse than a friend of a few years?

Andal offers the Lord at Azhagarkoil, a hundred pots of butter and a hundred pots of Akkaravadisil a delicacy made out of rice and jaggery.

When we guys offer something as worthless as a half-decayed coconut and an overripe banana we want a) our nagging boss to die of AIDS b) a smooth way up the corporate ladder, or preferably through the elevator c) a spouse who is better even than Lord Rama d) hassle-free low-interest home loan and d) lots and lots of money.

But what does Andal want in return for her bountiful offer?

‘If only my Lord eats what I have offered…’

We hold our breath. Was she going to ask for some favour?

She melts in love.

‘If only my Lord eats what I have offered…I will give him a hundred thousand times more than what I gave. And will be his slave for all time to come.’
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]
    இன்று வந்து இத்தனையும் அமுது செய்திடப் பெறில் நான்[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]ஒன்று நூறாயிரமாக் கொடுத்துப் பின்னும் ஆளும் செய்வேன்[/FONT]

Let’s fall at Andal’s feet begging her to give us a millionth of her love for the Lord.

And let’s welcome the Tamil New Year, Kara, with this prayer firmly embedded in our hearts.

Wish you all a happy and a prosperous new year.

2. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this... Made my day!!!

3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Putthandu Vazthukkal Sir!!

And what an excellent thought to begin our New Year With!!

Fantastic sir... May He Bless us all to Love Him more and more!!

Akila

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Lovely blog as always !!!!!!:cheers

[​IMG]

In true friendship there is no expectation of reward. It is all about just giving your love without expecting them to reciprocate...

You are a good friend sir...:thumbsup

5. gayuharini

gayuharini Bronze IL'ite

puthandu vazhthukal to u and ur lucky family

Regards
    gayathri

6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Should I say Fantastic, Mind blowing....I don't know but honestly this blog touched the inner cores of my heart. You have made me very emotional.

As I shared with you the other day about reading the book and the way it was described, I am just not able to come back to normalcy. The moment the picture of my HM comes to my mind, tears unabashedly flow from my eyes. I have not even touched the book again. Similarly today I felt the same after reading this blog. If only my HM accepts me, I would be blessed...nothing more I need Sridhar. The reading of the book has been a kind of awakening for me I wish I was in Ramakrishna's state. I am not sure whether the pangs of separation is slowly haunting me but i definitely feel a void.....

Sorry Sridhar for my vent out. That was a wonderful piece. My best wishes for a Happy New Year to you and your family.

7. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear Varalotti Sir,

Simply mind-boggling:bowdown

A simple parallel drawn to a great philosophy:bowdown

--Only YOU can do it sir!!!!

[​IMG]

Regards

Saras

8. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

நான்கூட என்னமோ எலக்*ஷன் பத்தித் தான் பேசப்போறீங்களோன்னு நெனச்சேன்.

அப்படி இப்படி கடைசில ஸ்கேல(பேரலல் லைன் வரைய) தூக்கிடறீங்களே எப்படி சார்?

என்ன சொல்லுங்க, சமஸ்கிரதத்து மந்திரங்களின் பீஜ ஒலியில் எத்தனை எத்தனை மாயங்கள் இருந்து விட்டுப்போகட்டுமே. தமிழொலியின் இனிமையில் என்னைப்போன்ற தற்குறிங்க மனசே கலங்குதே..

பாட்டுக்கினிய பாண்டுரங்கனுக்கு கேட்கையில் எப்படி இருந்திருக்கும்?

அக்காரவடிசலில் வடியும் நெய்யும் சர்க்கரையும் விட இந்த பாட்டில் தான் எத்தனை இனிமை?

சூப்பர்...சார். எனக்கு உடனே ஆண்டாள் பாசுரங்கள் எல்லாம் படிக்கணும் போலிருக்கு.

எப்பவும் போல் அருமையான் கருத்து.
    சரி இங்கயே இருந்துடப்போறேன். இருப்பதோ கொஞ்ச நேரம் PS வந்துடுச்சாட்டம் இருக்கு?

தா போறேன்..

அப்புறம் கேக்க மறந்துடப்போறேன். உங்க ஃப்ரெண்ட் ரோட்டரியா? அரிமாவா?

அது badge-ஆ?batch- ஆ?

9. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Sir,

I just overwhelmed by your post sir. ANDAL require only the GOD's LOVE We want only such a nice blog from you sir. In turn our mind and heart become ease. Excellent

eagerly waiting for your next post sir.

En eniya kara puthandu vazhthukkal

10. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

Wish You A Very Happy New Year Varalotti Sir

The reverse happens in our society elections.
    No one turns up, and the same committee members thanklessly continue the task of managing the society.

As far as friendship is concerned, you have given me a very good message. If I could be able to really follow it honestly, I will thank you for that

cheers
    suresh