1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Dress Code

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 27, 2016.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

We seem to be talking of different things here. So I guess I'd leave it at that and agree to disagree, since I am not referring to extremes. I have nothing against nurses not being allowed to wear nailpolish or having to keep their nails clipped or having to cover their hair. Again this just belongs to safety criteria but the same nail polish or mehendi would not hurt in an office. Yes, it is upto us to use our own common sense, but if others don't have it, they'll learn through experience. Not for me to tell others what they should wear or not wear.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Ya, let's agree to disagree respectfully.

Not every office strictly prohibits nail polish and mehandi... Plenty of office goers are still wearing nail polish now a days. If some office has a strict policy against nail polish or mehendi, then it must have a valid reason behind it, like nurses. So, we should think about that first.

As for commonsense, we can't keep mum all the time when others don't have it.
    For ex. If I am a manager, I must be responsible about the dress code of my staff. If my staff do not seem to use their commonsense, I must intervene and put some sense to their head.
    Like wise, every person has a social responsibility. A head mistress or principal in the school should take the responsibility of the dress code of the teachers and students.
    Similarly the temple society or whoever concerned to that matter has some responsibility to ensure there is no distraction inside the temple. Hence the dress code.

Again, it is upto the people to ignore it or look away. But we can't expect everyone to ignore our social irresponsibility.

I, absolutely have nothing against fashion cloths or recent trends. In fact, I wear modern cloths and sometimes my choice of cloths or hair style is called as extreme by my older family members. But that is still within limits according to me.
    However, I personally think twice about the appropriateness of my choices.
    Definitely, I would not wear an inappropriate cloth to a temple and expect everyone else to look away or ignore me if they can't digest me with that.
    Rather, I would go with the flow. JMO

akbanupriya and MNR like this.
  3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

It is entirely discrimination of males in India. How can people not lecture males if dressed in similar attire? Men should protest against this discrimination. Even a visible bra strap of an actress becomes a front page news but for an actor, clad in underwear doesn't even get a mention in the inner pages. Hope the men in the newer generation rise up to this discrimination and would want to be treated equally as women in upholding the future culture of the country and not let only the women have that privilege to uphold the morality of the future generation.

akbanupriya and satchitananda like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Of course men contribute to upholding the morality, culture and traditions of our country. They ensure women do it!

Akanksha1982 and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

So surgery has made you go ethnic Kamalji.I never wear anything that cannot be held in place by elastic or a belt. So dhotis and lungis are out for me. Airlines must have a more sensible way of getting rid of poop than make people on ground feel that something is falling on them from heaven.Why not chemical toilets in planes to treat the crap?

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Very true Akanksha. Salman Khan known for his topless appearances that do not provoke even the batting of an eyelid but a woman who reveals even a wee bit even accidentally has remarks passed against her character and her respectability questioned. True Salman Khan must be trolled for baring his chest. It is high time men dressed modestly.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

"Within limits?" Yes it is for you to decide what is within limits and what is not. And it is not for others to dictate terms about "limits" to you. You should wear what makes you feel good and comfortable and not what makes others nod in approval.

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Your necktie must be very motivated after seeing you consume a very healthy but tasty soup! I can understand advising children what to wear for various occasions but as far as adults are concerned, no individual can determine what is appropriate but the person himself/herself. But at the same time, I expect adult to be responsible in their dressing sense for the occasion. Here I am assuming no man would be fully drunk and enter a temple in a lungi blabbering some nasty words or a woman walking with a mini-skirt and sleeveless top. It will be distraction for others from the purpose why they visit a temple.

In our spiritual center, we had the rule that every woman should cover their front with a thuppata and in fact, some women have collected a few thuppattas for young women who come with a tightly worn shirt so that they can share it with them. Later, the spiritual organization itself advised everyone to be adaptive to the country in which the centers operate. How can we stop a woman from this country wearing their normal dress code? Therefore, the spiritual center relaxed the rule for everyone. But most of them are responsible and cover themselves up to the ankle and avoid wearing sleeveless. However, some children do wear sleeveless and the spiritual centers now allow them. But everyone is prohibited to wear shoes inside and only allowed with their socks.

Viswa

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

But this sadly applies within my own territory. When others are involved, I must respect their comfort levels too. That's where commonsense works.

I can wear shoes to my own Poona room and pray. Others can't question me. But I can't do the same in a public temple. It may offend others.
    Respecting others opinions to a certain level is called manners.

akbanupriya likes this.
  10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Well, It seems stressful during the holiday season, like a "censor board" before attending parties with my son - clean shaven and hair cut. I have to make the deal way ahead of time, not on the day of the party.

I see at our local temple, Hindu dress code will be enforced written at the entrance. Some come with an attitude, 'stop me, if you can'. Volunteers are placed to provide dhoti or dupatta on major holidays. The jeans/leggings are allowed, not shorts/mini skirts. You can spot them with 'dhoti (man) or 'dupatta' (woman) wrapped over their shorts. Some refuse to wear "temple cloths" and wander in the cafeteria area.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016