1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Dress Code

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

On Rakshabandhan this year, my wife went to my BIL’s house accompanied by the daughter. As soon as they saw the daughter , the BP of people gathered there got a shock and the faces of some of them, otherwise pitch black turned glowing red like the rear of a female rhesus monkey in heat.

The reason? It was my daughter’s dress She was not properly dressed according to them. She was wearing a loose tee shirt and loose trousers and sandals with a nose ring and half of her head shaved and the remaining hair dyed red! Too bad the guests didn’t get heart attacks as I was hoping but the kid certainly got long lectures.

She was sermonized on how decent girls from TamBrahm families should dress and how they should tie their hair etc and the need for a bindi of some sort. She just kept quiet but when she returned home and told me what happened I told her that she should have told them that it was none of their goddamn business.

“Arrey, why are you teaching her wrong things? Why offend our relatives” the wife butted in.

“First she is no small kid that she could be brainwashed by me and these people dress their kids like unclejees and want our daughter to dress like auntiejee,” I quipped as the daughter laughed and applauded.

And as for offending, I don’t think we should shy away from it particularly when it comes to narrow minded , bigoted fools, that quite a lot of my relatives are. We get constantly lectured over our dress, appearance and how irreligious we are.

When I was a kid there was a major scandal when a middle aged relative of ours landed up at a kin’s place wearing hold your breath ....stretch pants, that were in fashion them. “She has no shame” whispered an auntie. “Who does she think she is. Asha Parekh or something?”. The auntie would have watched with gaping mouth the then Bollywood bombshell Asha Parekh gyrating in stretch pants but for a Tambrahm lady wearing that was a strict no no. A heinous sin no less, that deserved punishment in hell probably on a sinister contraption in which the sinner gets painfully stretched for eternity.

I was reminded of this when all the hell broke loose over the way cricketer Mohammed Shami’s wife dressed. There were trolls galore. Some doubted whether she belonged to her husband’s religion , others said she should be afraid of the Guy Upstairs. She was also advised to wear a hijab and cover her head and face.

Sure the Guy Upstairs has nothing else to do but watch over how people dress. But lot of people believe that he frowns upon violation of dress codes. Couple of years ago, a guy in Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province was shot dead by Taliban because his pyjama went below the ankle.

Dress codes haunt us all our lives. There are religious dress codes and secular dress codes. Some of these codes are unspoken and unwritten but you can see eyebrows rising at public gatherings when you violate them, like going to a formal dinner in tees and jeans.

I don’t think there is a single religion without a dress code. During my Italian days, I went to Assisi to visit to basilica of St.Francis. My main attraction there were the paintings of Giotto, not the good saint himself. Only I was allowed to enter the basilica. And my friends were kept out. The reason? They weren’t “properly” dressed. You see I was the only one wearing full jeans. The others were in bermudas or shorts of some kind because it was a super hot day and sun was blazing down on us.

We Indians are no better . Years ago we took my daughter for her tonsure (mundan) to our family deity’s temple. Not that I believe in such things but then my mom did and it is always a wise policy to humour moms and loonies. I was not allowed into the temple sanctum sanctorum because I was wearing jeans and only guys in dhoti were allowed. I would never wear that thing even if someone holds a gun to my head as I see it as a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

And people take these clothing business very seriously. While taking some relatives to the ISKCON temple, Delhi, I saw a sign outside a room NO KARMIC CLOTHS ALLOWED. Didn’t know dress code was decided by karma. Then I was enlightened that apart from dhotis and saris everything else was karmic. Well if people want to beckon lovingly to wardrobe malfunction, best of luck to them.

I recently read a column in a weekend supplement of a newspaper in which a writer, probably neck deep in such codes, lamented that there is total sartorial anarchy in high end eating joints and guys in shorts and collarless tees were swarming these places. Well, what is wrong with that? They wouldn’t be able to digest the food of ritzy eateries in Bermudas?

And I don’t understand why people wear a noose around their neck otherwise known as the necktie that does not make anyone look smarter and thoroughly puzzled why it is compulsory at some formal gatherings. The only time I wore it was when I had to attend a formal meal with some army chaps and I was told that a tie was a must. We sat down for the dinner and soon after the soup was served, I got this funny feeling that everyone was looking at me. When I looked down I got the shock of my life.

My tie it seems was a soup fan. It was taking a dip in the soup plate. After that I decided I would never attend any event where I have to wear a soup-hungry noose around my neck. My soup is solely mine. No tie will ever share it.

My wife is a stickler for how one should dress for a social gathering and she keeps trying to put her ideas into my head. Dress code or no dress code, I hate wearing anything other than a track suit or kurta pyjama . It doesn’t match with her sartorial notions . There is no bigger torture in the world than all dressed up and making banal conversation with someone at a party. That is double whammy.

So I avoid such gatherings like bubonic plague. Recently one acquaintance ran into a relative at a party and remarked that I was not sighted at such gatherings. “ I believe he prefers the company of dogs and cats to people” she said.

Cent per cent true. Dogs and cats don’t try to hook me into pointless conversations and above all their biggest plus point is they don’t have a dress code

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Balajee, dress code is always a sticky problem. Where is the line between 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable'? I have never been able to figure out the need for dress codes - say in temples, offices. What do formal clothes have to do with devotion to God or to work? I am not even talking of the kind of clothes that leave little to the imagination. Though I would not choose to cross my own limits, I don't want to pass judgments on others' dress sense. If that is the way they want to dress, it is their choice. If it makes me uncomfortable, I'd choose to look away.

I can't understand why God does not like people with two legs entering temples? Why no salwars or trousers allowed? Why should only feet be seen? If that was his plan, he should have included it in the blue print.

Talking of sartorial differences between you and your wife, I can only imagine how tough it is for both and put that down to God's sense of humour, keeping himself entertained up there. :p

Akanksha1982 and Mario123 like this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi if there is a God he has a grotesque sense of humor. If he had been a normal sane person, he wouldn't have created scorpions, centipedes, cockroaches and quite a few of my relatives. I think one should wear only what one could carry off and not what we are told to wear by religious or office honchos.

4. Suja9

Suja9 Silver IL'ite

Hi Satchitananda,

I am mentioning this only for Temples (I dont even care about what girls wear someplace else. Its their rights)
    Being a female, you would look away when you see around uncomfortable dressing. But when guys see women like that, it complicates things. Few guys even Ogle at the girl shamelessly (the girl might have faced few of these before, but the same happening inside a temple premises might be offensive to the girl as well as others who had come to pray)
    The purpose of going to a temple is to pray in a peaceful and powerful atmosphere. If there are any verbal altercations, it will totally defeat the purpose of peacefulness.

Even before few years, people wear formal dresses like saree, salwars to temple. Now salwars are allowed even in Padhmanabhaswamy Temple, Trivandrum, Kerala. All the other types of dresses are because of western influence (That's why God might have forgotten to include in his blue print... )

There are a lot of people who follow dress code in all occasions- like working in office, Formal or semi-formal parties. Heck even people wear appropriate clothes when they go to a pub/discotheque. When saree/salwars aren't worn there as it is totally unnecessary and hampering the purpose of why people go there, is Temple any lesser than that?

P.S: I am mentioning all the above only for Temples. I am only 27, please don't judge as few of my friends did.

Cheers!

vidhyalakshmid and akbanupriya like this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Suja9 God is said to be omniscient one for everybody regardless of west or east. He must have included in his blueprint. But the problem is not with God but those who have appointed themselves as his interlopers on earth.Informal attire like jeans and tees (particularly those with slogans) lightens up the mood in office and people are able to work in an informal more productive atmosphere. Of course no body goes to discos in a sari but that doesn't mean there is a dress code there.

KashmirFlower and Suja9 like this.
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

Hilarious man too good. Due to my operation, i now ear kurta pajamas, and i feel better. A while pajama with a coloured kurta. And people compliment on my looks, so thanks to the operation in fact.

Yes dress codes i have never followed. Dhotis never tried. dad used to love lungis, and i feared it malfunctioning, hence neverr tried it.

God has other businesses to attend to, rather than who wears jeans or whatever.And relatives, who crib, tell them go back to telegrams, or writing letters, u deserve that age, tell them that, and yes , forget the internet, and the mobile too.

And ideas for yr next blog, the toilet dumpiny by arilines in the air, poop falling over people, the near accidents that happened yesterday in Goa and somewhere else, of the flights, and the plane diverted from new york to paris, as the toilets got clogged, and the 172 passengers could not hold their pee, so the plance landed in ireleand for them to relive.HAHA

Who says there are no topics to blog.
    Regards
    kamal

i see that in my absence u are producing blogs by the dozens, wait till i come back.HAHA
    Good going Balaji keep it up.

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I would disagree with this quote @satchitananda
    For ex, I can't imagine a teacher with a low hip shorts and a deep neck skinny on a hot summer day, that too in a boy's school.
    The kids don't have a choice to look away or ignore the dress code of the teacher, while she is actively teaching something.
    We can't expect any kind of maturity among children, who are under the age of 18.
    If she comes with a half shaved head, with a red hair on the other half...OMG, poor kids. I can't support that.
    This kind of dress code may be ok for a casual event among youth.

Same goes with other public offices where public gather, and staff are required to work with various clients in person.
    Dress code is important in the work place. If not uniform or some strict code like ONLY SAREE... the normal professional dressing would be fine.
    It should be decent enough, and it should be apt for the office environment. I can't keep flowers in the hair, and wear too much gold jewels to work too.

Similarly, we expect calm, peace, and some spirituality in the temple. Although God has never strictly ordered any dress code to the people who visit him, I would still use my commonsense before picking up my cloths.
    A temple in a rural India is not the place to show off my thighs and cleavage.
    Such dresses are perfectly fine to the malls in the metros. No one would stare at me or get disturbed because I wore it.
    But the rural people visiting the temple on spritual purpose would surely get distracted and lose their concentration on spiritual matters. Can't blame them, because this is just a cultural shock to them.
    That's why even foreigners are wearing covered cloths before entering temples.

Be a roman policy works mostly.

8. satchitananda

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. satchitananda

akbanupriya likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

The extremes have no real border. What is extreme fashion for me, may not be extreme, rather a normal thing for others.
    I agree. A salwar is far better covered than a saree. But many schools have strict rules as to how to wear the sarees in decent manner. So, in most of the Schools, sleeveless blouses or low hip sarees or transparent sarees are not allowed.

Not the flowers or nail polish are the problems. It is the mind-set of the people.
    A rich saree, flower in the hair and some gold jewelries are the traditional dress code for women in functions like wedding, temple functions etc...
    A swim suit is to swim or do any swim activities in the pool, beach etc.
    A helmet is to ride a bike or any related machinery works
    Now, if someone comes with a swim suit to an office or to a wedding, that would be a problem to the people who are surrounded. The dress itself is not a problem though. But the mind-set. People are not ready to accept such differences that easily.
    For ex; A Nurse is not allowed to wear nail polish for a reason.

It is better to have some common sense rather than expecting others to have it.
    If others have commonsense, yes.. it is great. If not, our own commonsense would be of great help.

vidhyalakshmid likes this.