The Devi Mahatmyam Story Being Retold in Brief

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by vlaxmanan, Oct 5, 2013.

1. vlaxmanan

vlaxmanan New IL'ite

Dear Ladies (and the few Gentlemen):

This year, for the Navaratri season, I have been posting the story as told in each chapter of Devi Mahatmyam. The document is being updated each day as I write up the story in brief.

Chapter 4 of the Devi Mahatmyam is a a hymn where the devas (celestial beings like Indra, Agni, Vayu, etc.) express their grateful thanks to Devi for killing Mahishaasura and extol the praises of devi. There are 30 verses of which I would like to call attention to a few. One of them is verse 17, which is included in the Durga sapta shlokee, the seven verses which summarize the entire Devi Mahatmyam.

I also call your attention to verses 11 and 12 and verse 36 for good reason since they connect Devi Mahatmyam eloquently with the teaching of Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita.

Do read in particular the implications of verses 12 and 36 which I have discussed in some detail. You will indeed be moved by this hymn. May the blessings of Devi shower upon us all as we chant the stotrams during this Navarathri season.

HAPPY NAVARATRI.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2013

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vlaxmanan Brother,

:welcome to IL family,

Happy to read about Devi Mahatmyam especially during Navarthri, Thanks, Sairam

Happy Dusshera, May MAA LAKSHMI, DURGA, SARASWATHI and BABA bless your home in abundance.