1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The dark side of radish

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Aria thanks for the nomination. Glad you liked thepungent dish I cooked. Radish as a metaphor of political statesman? First we have no statesmen in India, only politicians of the worst kind. Secondly I don't want to insult my favourite veggie by using it as a metaphor for some politician.

1 person likes this.
  2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha I love both radish and brinjal,. You COOK with the tiny red one? That was created by nature to be eaten raw not to be cooked. Sambhar is ideal with white daikon not the tiny red variety. Of course over there I suspect it is difficult to get the white mooli except in Asian greengrocers' and it is not widely available everywhere. So I suppose you have to settle for the red one. ( See I gave you the benefit of doubt in the gasgtronomic sin of cooking the red radish!).

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Oh oh such a radish hater. Radish is one of the vegetables when cooked badly can send you rushing for room freshners but in the hands of an able cook it can become a delicacy. In Delhi it is a popular street food. Everywhere you can see guys buying radish coated with black salt , chaat masala and lemon and munching them away to glory.

1 person likes this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji among the Indian middle class the organic tag doesn't matter. The mooliwallah will make little money by that trick. I don't know about Jaipur but in Delhi mooli is a popular street food along with more unhealthy stuff like, tikkis, gol gappas and bhalla papdi. You can see droves of people enjoying mooli coated with salt and lemon juice. Nobody gives a damn about the stink they raise.

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi growing vegetables is no easy task. In my garden flowers bloom but attempts to grow vegetables have failed miserably. The Eggplants do not give more than one small measly eggplant. , You can forget about radish. Your mention of radish sambhar has made me seriously hungry. Better luck next time with growing radishes.

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Phew!! Thank you :biggrin2: You have no idea how lucky my family is to be even eating raddish unlike brinjal :)

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I love the red plump ones too but I find the long white ones quite appealing. As I have said elsewhere it is a popular street snack in Delhi and we Delhiites blissfully munch on it not bothering about the stink we raise! Thanks for the imagery.

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Welcome o my post after a Looooooooong time Viji.. The problem with Mullangi is that it triggers strong emotions of love and hate. It has equal number of fans and detractors.. Too bad you cannot make Mullangi sambhar because your hubby is in the opposition party.

1 person likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Your recipe for kimchi sounds like that of very Indian pickles.It really made my mouth water. The only way I don't like mooli is as subzi.Not everyone can make it really well. It is a vegetable that really shines in salads, parathas and sambhar.

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Actually Korean and traditional Indian pickles both share lactobacillus fermentation so you are absolutely correct. Previously I had thought that Indians take the pickle making prize but now I think that Koreans surpass Indians in that regard. Anyway, both are very healthy and yummy.