1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Curious Case of Pencil Case !!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by parineetha, Jan 7, 2015.

1. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

All creatures in this spurious case are factitious. All resemblance to living or non-living things, big or small, long or round, wide or narrow is purely incidental.

And for all those curious eyes, No! It’s not a remake of Benjamin Button’s case. :biggrin2:

Well, this is how the case runs as it pleases the nut case (yours truly) :))))

It’s about Pencilla, the protagonist of this case and her childhood friends, Rubbert, Penny, Scaley and Sharpenerin’s role in her life. She was a phantom of delight, a divine beauty her friends said. Beautiful face, sharp features, tall, slim and all that facts n figures you may add.
    She and her friends had a whale of time together, fought like snakes and cuddled like cats too. Happy times rolled on..

As years passed on, her valiant attempts to stay tall, slim and beautiful were becoming futile. Age was catching up and she was losing her in bits and pieces with time. She was becoming dreadful of the day she might go beyond recognition to lose her name and fame once for all. Hearing her anxiety, her friends, Rubbert, Penny, Scaley and Sharpenerin write a note to her.

Rubbert – Hey slimcilla!...OK… OK… Pencilla, look at me!
    Fair n chubby little boy I was. Those who admired my pearl whitish complexion are the ones who ridicule me now. I went smokey grey rubbing all the wrong ones. You know how it really aches? People catch my throat and show all their anger, buffing my face on the paper wall. I had to take all the aberrations and black marks on my face. What will happen if I start worrying that my skin gets blemished and tanned?
    I could weep out aloud or stay happy and contended that I’m giving my friends another chance to correct their mistakes. I chose the latter and see how happy I’m now. The real beauty is inside you, your character. How you look at yourself. Put your chin up and say “Hay, I make my kids draw the sun n moon, create their stars, and touch their sky”….Your’s no-wrong side rubbing friend,- Rubbert-

Penny – I’m Refill’ano penny here!...Ah yes... I’m very particular about my first name you see; else people get confused with my bro Fountainano penny. You know how much I’m fond of my caps! That makes me the cool dude types, but it’s mostly lost or thrown away making me feel stripped and embarrassed. I put up with all that name and shame.
    Some days I wail in pain getting bitten and chewed to kill the class room boredom. Ah..wait! Not done yet…I hate writing impositions and essays, but teachers make me write them, pages and pages of it on weekends too. Imagine how exhausted and drained I would be. Yet they try ‘shake..shake your leg’ steps on me to drip the final blots of energy inks trip off my tongue. Phew! Next day a new saline tube is refilled and I live the life of a true refill’ano all over again...yea!
    I know pencilla, it hurts like hell. Put all those feelings and peelings away. To get the newer you, you have to let your hurtful past go. Only when you renounce the dead woody skin – anger, pride, greedy, jealously, hatred, ignorance and so on..you could let the new layers of love, compassion, faith and wisdom to embrace the you. So lift your hands up and say “I’m beautifully new and I make bold testimonials.” Your pen pal, -Refillano Penny-

Scaley – Pencilla! Im the no nonsense types you know… tell you what, I draw my own lines and live on my own rules. You too draw your straight line, write your words, set your own equtions and compose your own mission statement.
    Never be afraid to extend your line to live your life. Just that line has to fall on the scale of justice between the truth and fairness. You are what you’re, young or old. Don’t let others measure your wins and defeats. You put your feet firm and say “Stop judging me! I’m sharp enough…I can gauge my own performance”. Yours unruly friend, -Scaley-

Sharpenerin – Oh dear! Some call me ‘the bully’, ‘the tormentor ‘and what not? They say words chisel out like a razor under my tongue. Hmm..I’ve decided to talk less, do more. But Yes! I’m hard on the ones hard on me…
    Pencilla, All work, no play, would make you a blunt head. Find some time for yourself, take a break and hone your inner self. If you go blunt of ideas, think of me..I’m here to sharpen your mind, body and spirits. And remember I’m your best friend; I’ll never give up on you. Your smart cookie, -Sharpenerin-

Yes! That’s how everything went…her friends kept reminding her the little things she forgets while she busy growing up pleasing others. For few, “beauty is skin deep”, for some “beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder”. In pencilla’s case, I think “her beauty is how she values herself, how pretty her mind reflects her soul, how appealing she thinks she is, with no age defiance”.

If the curious you still questions who Pencilla is, Pencilla could be just a pencil or the precious ‘you’ or ‘me’ who get bogged down every now and then trying to live our whole life pleasing others. While all of us play the role of an instrument in the hands of our family, friends, relatives, bosses and colleagues, at times we forget the value we make in their lives. We are too much absorbed in thoughts of what impression we manifested in their minds, rather we appreciating the fulfilment of our actions that our heart craves. Simply put, admire the face value of your worth from your eyes.
    Enhance your efforts to bring in the ultimate self-satisfaction in what you do. Honor the humble you to be your best judge. There lies the real happiness and beauty.

The Pencilla in us needs to know no matter how teeny weeny you may look, you have made an everlasting imprint in the books of life.

Amica, umasivasankar, jskls and 17 others like this.

2. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Happy New Year!

Awesome, Neetu!! Loved every bit of it!

1 person likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Enjoyed it Parineetha!
    A message in a Pencil Case.

1 person likes this.
  4. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl

Awesome Parineetha. You know i was at work when i started reading. I had to stop reading mid way as i couldn't control the laughter. I will read it later when I am all alone.

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Neetu,

You really took me to the subtlest level through this wonderful post of yours! What a lesson you taught me through pencil, rubber, pen, scale and sharpener! Keep writing these incredible posts that would make this old man sane and focused.

Life is all about sacrifice is the lesson we learn from the pencil. Rubber is teaching us that we need to learn to forgive and forget the mistakes of others. Pen is telling the story of how routine it might look when we do our duties in life but how important it is for us to experience those routines. We can energize ourselves as we grabbing new and innovative opportunities. Scale teaches us the lesson that we have to set our own set of principles that would elevate us and don't worry about brickbats we get from others. We should be very proud of our principles and most importantly live by those principles. Sharpener teaches us that it might appear as loss of love sometimes when we make effort to discipline our children or even share our genuine thoughts with our kith and kin or friends but we have to do what is right in those moments and stand by the truth without worrying about consequences.

In summary, we need to stand by the truth, be righteousness in all circumstances and stick to our rules, keep energizing ourselves and continue to perform our duties faithfully, forgive and forget the mistakes committed by us or by others and sacrifice for the welfare of the world and feel good about it.

Your husband should feel very proud to have someone like you as his spouse and your children are very lucky to have a mom like you. I join your parents in feeling proud of having a daughter like you.

Viswa

6 people like this.
  6. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Neetu well compared with life. simply superp.

1 person likes this.
  7. minjagan

minjagan Gold IL'ite

Hi Neetu,

Wonderful Narration...Honestly I tried to skip the snippet reading the first few lines...
    Then when i looked at the comments of others.. a curious me tingled my heart to read the full snippet....
    What a comparison of our own life with pencil...
    Hats off to u for ur imagination like this....

1 person likes this.
  8. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Oops! where did GG's post go??? so strange :(((

@IL_Admin - Has this been deleted or something?

Feeling bad that I miss his response here...
    @Googleglass - Sorry GG!
    Please come back and post again. I look forward for your response.

1 person likes this.
  9. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Good morning Parineeta,[​IMG]

When I read heading, I was thinking of Sherlock Holmes and thought maybe it is some fiction story. But seeing it was in non-fiction segment, curiosity go the better of me. Then I thought maybe it is a ode to a pencil, becoz, now-a-days u hardly find many persons using pencil, what with computers being every where.

And when I read it, I just could not :rotfl

Great comparison between life and the humble pencil case and all its contents.

:clap: :clap:

2 people like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Neetu!

What a metaphor! Enjoyed reading every bit of it while marvelling at your thought process. Love the way you have packed such important facts of life into a small pencil box!

Hats of to you Neetu! Lagi raho!:-D

2 people like this.