1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Chennai Tragedy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Chennai Tragedy

The floods in Chennai have devasted everyone. I think as worse as the Tsunami, maybe worse, for this affected the whole of Chennai, whereas Tsunami was restricted to the costal area like the Marina Beach and its surroundings.

Today I was shocked to see the picture of the airport, where planes were under water. I am sure all planes must have been damaged, and it will take a while for them to be repaired.The water that has flooded the lower areas of bunglows, it must have shaken the foundations of buildings which must have become weak. As the water dries, many builduings will develop cracks and be unsafe to habitat.

Somebody was saying , the authorities did not clean the drainage pipes etc. But looking at the amount of rainfall that has fallen in the last week, at least 5 times more than what it does normally, this would have happened anyway. This was no one’s fault, frankly speaking.

This was God’s fury at its worst. No stopping of rains, no means of transport, air, road and trains all stopped, and in the city too movement difficult.People have run out of milk and even water. And even the rich , have had to take shelter on the upper floors, and to neighbours.

And it gladdened my heart to read, that besides the rascals who take advantage in such circumstances, which is normal, there are numerous instants where I read people helping total strangers. It made me feel so happy to know that humanity and compassion is still alive, that one human being is thinking of the other human being.What do I say.

I was thinking of the spiritual angle in this whole tragedy. When god is angry, for reasons know to him, he can find u anywhere eh ! He can kill and starve u, in your own home, and u with all the bunglows and crores in the bank, are helpless, and starving, thirsty, and waiting for some help to arrive to bring some basic needs like milk and water.

And look at the irony. The iphone, or the expensive diamond studded phones costing lakhs and crores, as we read, are useless and cannot make one call asking for help, because they have no charge, as there is no electricity. And even if u have a kind neighbour who says I have the phone working give me the number, u don’t remember the number as it is not written down, but stored in the now dead cell phone.

No rich person could have ever imagined, that one day he will be like a refuggee in his own home, town and city, cut off from everyone, and that money of his of no help, that he is just a beggar , begging the lord’s mercy, for such common thing as milk and drinking water.

That brings me to a different question. In future, ancipating such an occurance, should nto every household keep a few handy things at home to survive those few days like these. The list is

1) Torch with battery, the old ones, with everready battery. No electricty this will help .
    2) Extra charged battery for every cellphone
    3) Have landline BSNL connection, which will work even if there is no electricity.
    4) Have a dozen or two one litre mineral water bottles lying around.
    5) Have milk powder tins so that u can make tea at least.
    6) Have lots of tiger biscuits, cheap and handy at such times.
    7) Few lakhs hard cash at home, for banks are closed now, so are ATM’s. So if u need hard cash where will it come from ? All yr crores in banks are useless at times like these.

And some more ideas u friends might have, u can add with yr comments.

Coming to that , I thought of this. Suppose a there are two friends, say a Chennai friend , one Jaipur/mumbai etc chap.

Chennai friend asks jaipur chap – Mere paas bunglow hai 10 crore ka, bank mein 50 crore hai, mere paas industries hai, there paas kya hai ? (in the tone of Deewar movie )

Jaipur friend – I cant think of an answer right now, I will tell u later. Poor fellow has nothing, stays in a rented flat, hand ot mouth chap.

After the floods, jaipur fellow calls chennai friend and says – Mere paas peene ka pani hai, milk hai, khana hai, electricity hai, mobile is fully charged !!!!!

Please do not take the above in any other way. All I am saying is , we never ever gave importance to all these small things like water, milk electricity and all that,we take these small thuings for granted, but at times like these, they overshadow all your material riches, for they are your lifeline, without which u cannot survive.

After seeing this, I remember the 2005 mumbai floodings, which they called a cloudburst where, in one day it poured, and where thousands of cars with passengers were stranded on the roads, where many people died in their cars, as they put on the AC, closed the windows and waited for the water to go down, but it went up, and entered the silencer, and made the air inside poisonous, rendering all systems useless, they could not o[pen the doors, and died in the poison air inside, the richie rich people, killed in their own towns int heir own cars, hundreds of them but none reported.

So dear lord, I catch my ears, and do uthak baithak, have mercy on me, and on other friends, not even an enemy deserves what has happened to Chennai. So now have mercy, dear boss.Thanks in advance.

As I sign off, someone told me, chennai was not getting enough rains, so they had a ritual , they married off two dogs to please the rain gods. Well it seems the rain gods were very happy, now the Chennai people are looking for those two dogs, so that they can get them divorced, so goes the story.

Take care friends, my brother in law and a few other friends are safe in chennai,And listen please help in the search of those two dogs, will you ?

KAMAL MAHTANI
    अगर किरण राव को अपने घर में असुरक्षित महसूस हो रहा हो तो वह मेरे घर में रह सकती हैं
    :-शक्ति कपूर 
    . आउ

Amir khan finds his mother old, senile and dangerous. ..
    Now wants sunny leon to adopt him as her son

How lucky is Aamir khan that his wife is scared of something.

"Hamari wali toh kisi ke baap se nahi darti "
    

: Latest ~ vijay Mallya also wants to leave India. Says Indian Banks are not tolerant.


    AMIR TO MODI : Dear sir, Meri Wife ka kehna hai ki desh surak**** nahin hai...kya ye sahi hai...???

MODI TO AMIR : Pehle maine bhi yahi socha tha dost...isliye kabhi Australia, kabhi Japan, kabhi China, kabhi America, kabhi Canada, kabhi Nepal, kabhi Singapore aur na jaane kaun kaun se desh hoke aaya..

.HINDUSTAN se accha aur surak**** desh koi nahin...isliye agar badalna hai toh BIWI badlo...desh nahin...

पति-आजकल तुम
    ना सिगरेट पीने से रोकती हो,
    ना शराब पीने से,
    क्या सब शिकायतें ख़त्म? 
    पत्नी- नहीं, LIC वाला परसों ही सब फायदे बता कर गया है!

पापा – “बेटा, आज
    तेरी मम्मी इतनी चुप-चुप क्यों बैठी है ?”
    बेटा – “मेरी गलती से पापा ….”
    पापा – “नालायक,
    ऐसा क्या किया तूने ?”
    बेटा – “मम्मी ने लिपस्टिक
    मांगी थी … मैंने गलती से ‘फेविस्टिक’ दे
    दी !!!”
    पापा – “जुग-जुग जियो मेरे लाल …

भगवान ऐसा बेटा Amir Khan को दे … !!

8 people like this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji Sir,

It is really such a tragic situation at Chennai.
    My parents are also there. I am feeling really helpless and think about them. Such a horrible situation is unfolding there. My mother also said the same thing, that God has unleashed such a ferocious thing on Chennai. Lots of people affected. Water still all around and takes long time to drain, infact has not drained. No current for a whole day. Cant get out for anything. I was really depressed after talking to her and seeing the pictures, infact I stopped watching the pictures and news because it was making me more and more depressed.

My mother was telling that she was just praying God for the rain to stop. What else can we do. The Government present as well as previous were all to blame. They put roads and streets etc. But the problem is they layer the new one on to the old one and the height of the street and roads become higher and higher and the level of houses become low. They build rainwater drains, but everything is clogged, because of lack of maintenance. None of the Government is providing governance with the people in concern. There are so many faults everywhere. The above ones I know, but I probably don't know other causes.

Whatever the cause the people are the ones suffering. Food and veg price has skyrocketed as well. Schools closed for more than 2 weeks and everything is mayhem there. People have lost everything, don't know when and how they are going to recover.

All I can do is pray for them from here..

Thanks for posting the thread.

5 people like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

When children fight with each other mother sometimes lets them resolve it by themselves. But when mother gets angry /upset then the children get together leaving their differences aside and stand for each other. Now mother nature is unleashing her force to restore whatever balance. HUMANITY is unfolding everybody helping everybody in whatever they can. Hats off to all those volunteers who are in that water risking their health as well as lives to reach out to stranded people. But the affected are those poor people again too badly. Those daily workers who depend on the daily wages. Water everywhere but not a drop to drink. My relatives are stranded on second floor rooftop and jumping roofs to go and get some basic food.Some we don't even know their status. Cell phone towers are down. No transportation to interior parts. Even boat services operate in limited areas. Many of my friends have not been able to contact their old parents. My immediate family is managing ok. I have been hearing horrible stories where so many are awaiting medical help for oxygen cylinders or waiting to go to hospital for dialysis or someone's father died but they were not able to convey the message, someone in labor what not.... It's still raining and going to be for the next few days
    My heart goes out to all affected. Cuddalore is equally affected. God I wish all this to end. Recovery and aftermath is unimaginable. Those who are far can pray and share/pass information in whatever way they can apart from helping monetarily.

3 people like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Yes Kamalji it is really a sad state of affairs in Chennai. We can only pray to God.

Vaidehi dear sorry to know that your parents are also there.

1 person likes this.
  5. itsmebhagi

itsmebhagi IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

I am from Chennai and I just got my network and power after three solid days..

Words may not suffice to explain the situation of every chennai'ite... I was safe and still safe and when I get to know the sufferings of others, its really disheartening and unable to bear...

The city was in a pathetic state and its been more than three weeks and the rains haven't stopped... We have got all sort of help both physically and financially from different sources, but yes prayers are doing wonders...

I am glad and happy to see the army force helping everyone...and the best part is people staying in the affected areas itself are helping each other... Muslims, Hindus, Christians, Jains all are working hand in hand, helping everyone around... I am proud to be a chennai'ite!! Proud to be an Indian!!

Extending my bit of help through various channels now...Hoping to do my part well...

Thanks to all those praying hearts and helping hands... God does exist in your form!!

Sairam!

7 people like this.
  6. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

glad to hear it.

I too can only pray to Sai.
    Hope you take care as well.

SaiRam

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

Very considerate of you to bring to the forefront the sufferings faced by Chennaites. You also taught a great lesson through your snippet that nothing like money, power, position, bank balance, vehicles, etc. are going to help in situations like this but a kind heart. It is a general lesson for everyone.

I have my mother, brother, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. living in Chennai and I spent two days calling each one of them without any success. Today, I was able to reach them and find out their well being. My wife and mother-in-law were to leave for Chennai on December 2nd and I delayed their trip by a week after carefully reviewing the situation on the ground.

The army, navy, airforce, NGO organizations, public volunteers, etc. are doing a fantastic job rescuing the marooned, saving lives, feeding the hungry, etc. These actions are very spontaneous showing the great sense of responsibility to the society. The organizations from outside of Tamil Nadu located in Maharastra, Karnataka, Andhra, etc. are pouring in supplies into Tamilnadu. PM personally made a trip to Chennai and granted funds for relief efforts.

People in Taminadu have to be very grateful for these humanitarian efforts and reciprocate when such situations arise elsewhere. Nature's fury can be faced by anyone at anytime but these kind of compassionate actions that brings the best out of the humanity should be greatly appreciated.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vaidehi,

i am glad yr parents are safe in Chennai. it is a tragedy of emmense proportions, no words can describe it. Even the rich have not been spared.
    Yes all we can do is [pray. Got news that the few i lites i know in chennai are safe.

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear JSKL,

wonderfully put by u, about mother earth. yes, agreed. Water everywhere and not a drop to drink.So true.
    Cuddalore was the one which was badly hit by Tsunami am i correct ?

Wish this would end fast.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,

Yes it is indeed very tragic.

Regards

kamal