1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Cattle Egrets And The Copper Pod Trees

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Mar 4, 2018.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Geeta,

So enjoyed reading this very personal experience of the life cycle of cattle egrets from such close quarters. I love watching all the birds visiting us. We get tailor birds, barbets, koels but no cattle egrets. One year I saw them on the trees lining the ring road leading from our area to my institute. All birds are fascinating, however often we see them. A few times I noticed some really beautiful birds on wires and went crazy taking pictures. On closer examination they turned out to be ordinary crows. It just occurred to me that we are extremely unfair to crows - maybe a case of familiarity breeding contempt. They are beautiful and extremely intelligent. Of late I have been hearing talk of how common crows are slowly disappearing. What a tragedy that would be? After all, crows and sparrows were our daily companions in our childhood, no matter what they had to get us to do - eat, drink milk ..... we had to ensure that they did not come and take away our food.

Much as I love birds and much as I go crazy taking pictures, I could never describe them the way you do, Geeta. Would really love to visit you and your birds some day.

GeetaKashyap and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Thanks for the observation at the same time I wonder whether this can be taken as compliments or and award or and Reward. Either way it suits.
    God Bless Us All Always.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

:hello:@GeetaKashyap Madam Sister captured your dwelling and it’s environs
    And expressed her desire to survey your surroundings in your company! Trust you would do the needful.
    The disappearance of regular visitors in urban and rural as well, attributed to micro wave and or telecom towers. Many of the species vanished due to greenery lost to real estate.
    Naturally, One would easily envy your dwelling and it’s surroundings.
    Regards.
    God Bless Us All Always.

4. Thyagarajan

:hello:In these choice of words - The key-philosophy of INDUSLADIES Beautifully expressed .
    Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless Us All Always.

MonikaSG likes this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@SCSusila,

Thanks for a nice FB appreciating my work so much. What I have written about is just the positive aspect and if I start writing about the negatives, You will say that your own location is far better!:)

SCSusila likes this.
  6. GeetaKashyap

Dear Satchi,

I have seen many wonderful photographs you have displayed in the media section including that of the
    Cattle egret. Talking about crows, I agree totally with you. For ages like many, I too thought the crows were all black in colour except for an iridescent patch at the neck, but once I got an opportunity to take plenty of photographs of the crows from close quarters. After seeing the zoomed images on the camera, I realised that the crows were not black as we always believed but they were an extraordinary blend of navy blue, royal purple, grey, green....! The beautiful crow is indeed a victim of our bias and short-sightedness.

Thanks for this wonderful FB.

paru123 and satchitananda like this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

:worship2:
    This situation is very bad.

Thank you so much, Sir.:worship2:

8. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

Enjoyed reading your snippet. We can see many birds like crow, sparrows, pigeons, cuckoo, heron, parrots and many others (names unknown) perched on the tree near our building. My preschooler gets very excited when she spots a parrot because of its vibrant green colour. Dd would also start talking to them.

The other day we did see a crow chasing a heron. They must have made 6 to 7 circles of the buildings nearby. My curious dd asked as to why the crow is chasing the other bird and I said they are just fighting. After reading your snippet I can now tell her as to why they were fighting.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

How cute of your daughter to spot the birds n converse with them! Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed your FB@paru123

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    paru123 likes this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

It's sweet of you to remember. :) I loved your snippet on your mother's kobbari mitthai and all your snippets after that. :hearteyes:

GeetaKashyap likes this.