1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Cart Before The Horse

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I feel no less different about my parents today. I feel I have been fractious while growing up with them. Uffoo… these parents gnaw. And you were on the other side ayyo ...these daughters!

If we dissolve the parent and daughter distinction and view this as a person’s assertion of self-determination.

Parent — If I agree to this request, she will demand more tomorrow.
    Daughter — If I oblige to this request, they will compel more tomorrow.

That tug is generational and will never dissolve. Such play of predictive and counter-factual what-if reigns in all families. My mom feels she has given me much lenience. I feel I have been too submissive. We both have such fun conversations on how she needs to subjugate me and how I will rebel. Her favourite taunt is, you don't have fat on your body because it gets straight to your head. My retort, something is wrong with your cooking so the fat is absorbed by the wrong organ.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    At 48 and 46, my two daughters often complain to my wife that they are not able to discipline their children due to my interference . They tell her that I have forgotten how I brought them up. I tell them that they needed that kind of disciplining but not my grand children. They just throw me a disgusted look and move on with their life! Inwardly I do feel sorry that I might have meddled too much with them in their youth and that I did not give them the freedom that I am giving my grandchildren. Generation gap is of a very complex nature and it dissolves rapidly with passing generations.
    I used to say almost similar things to my daughters but it sounds too cruel a thing to tell the grandchildren!

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Last night, I was reading about moral inquiry, moral role, moral risk and moral predicament, and that moral outcome.

I had overflow of moral discourse. I am utterly confused if I have a moral filament or a moral fibre (thinking smiley).

Then I remembered your post. Morality mutates whereas the ethical genome is steady. There may not be like-for-like Cane and Abel and that stench of sinfulness can never be leached away from human fallibility in the progeny. We will always fester from the inherited flaws. I liked your coinage of “Mutation of the Original Sin”. Today, ‘Original Sin’ is metastasized as ‘Double-Helical’ sin. We will succumb to human vices eventually. In such foregone conclusion, we can only replace our moral code but can never displace it. Evil will twist, bend and seep into our moral chassis somehow.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

My mom threw way my moth-eaten paraphernalia (languishing at her place) last year to make room for her dear grand kids. What am I to say? She was eager to throw away my yellow-stained books, tattered scarfs from school days, and other stuff for the diapers of her dear grand kids. It is a different matter that they were musty! But still ...

(redacted regional text)

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Talking of moral code, I always ask myself the question if there is anything called a moral code and if there is one, who determined it. Sinning has an unfathomable ancestry. We keep talking about it from the times of Adam and Eve. In Hinduism, I am amazed by the type of sins mentioned in our Vedas and the remedial action therefor. I am told that a DNA test cannot link you and your ancestor ten generations back because of all the mutation. Then who am I? Whose characters I have inherited?Can anything be found in common between me and my simian ancestor? I finally come to the conclusion that I am responsible for my own actions and cannot blame them on my ancestry.
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Don't you know that the youngest is the most privileged in any family? When it comes to throwing away things, those of the oldest person take precedence over the younger! It is how it should be. No one stores the loin cloth of a great grand father for the love of it however enduring he might have been!

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

It was Interesting reading your rambling as always and also the fbs. I went through all the fbs. When in school I did not know how to write essays but after coming to IL somehow I started writing. At one time you know I was told write once a week. That much I used to write and bore everyone and used to feel sad when no fbs. When more fbs used to feel happy and more happy when it was nominated and double happy when I got the award. Of late I have been not active in IL. I used to use my laptop only early morning and whole day go through the messages through mobile. I was active in fb but not in IL. Earlier I used to write the tittle from google and someone told me dont give long tittles and I like posting quotes which some people like . I usually write my experieces, As you I like giving first feedbacks and posting first in FP forum. Nice to see you active this year and i pray to God to give you good vision so that we can enjoy your ramblings more

8. Cheeniya

@iyerviji
    My dear Viji
    Nice to see a FB from you after a pretty long time. I was myself out of action for over six months due to my stroke and I am slowly finding my feet here. I understand that only when we get FBs we get a sense of fulfillment. But absence of FBs should not get us disheartened. Your FB to this rambling of mine is 87th but quite a few of my ramblings do not get even 20 FBs. My latest blog has not even got 20 FBs. I never allow the number of FBs interfere with my enthusiasm to write.
    Keep writing without worrying about FBs.
    Sri

iyerviji likes this.
  9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,

When I checked in here, this was the post that stood on top of your rambling list! A long list! With one finger and one eye, you have created an awe inspiring list and I can see is our members are lapping it up eagerly.'

Here I am with both my eyes and hands in tact and yet did not manage to even read what you have written. Looks like some benevolent stars must have guided me this week for I am enjoying being here in my favorite place and keep wondering what kept me away for so long and how did it even happen.

Man wishing to write and lack ideas?! At least he wishes and that 's all counts. Who knows, he just might turn out to be the next Rowling!

However, no Rowling can beat our CS who churns out articles without as much as a matter to lead him on. Just a title is enough! Our own Snippet Bahubali, one to hundred!

L, Kamla

Cheeniya likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

@Kamla
    My dear Kamla
    Infants and post septuagenarians are easy to please. You tell the former to clap his hands and when he does it with great difficulty, everyone around lets out an ecstatic giggle and the child displays its toothless gums in approval. The story is slightly different in the case of senile guys. Here a small child is asked to imitate the belching of grandpa and when the child lets out a hideous sound, everyone around laughs like a hyena! I don't have to tell you to which category I belong. I was rowing on the floor laughing when you compared me to the mighty Rowling!
    I must share a secret here with you. I am able to write with ease when I have nothing to write about. Years of practice in working for a Bank!
    Sri

Kamla likes this.