1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Bookaholics

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Sep 12, 2017.

1. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Yeah, It's one of the best treasures I have ever found till now.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Balajee,
    Not co- wife...pattamahishi, most superior queen
    Books that you found in the trunk , other than Yaddanapudi Sulochanarani are classics. But Yaddanapudi Sulochanarani with her simple language , simple day to day characters , her style has grabbed the attention of all young girls. Read her "Secretary".......Rajasekharam was the dream boy for many girls! Even now in Book Fair at Hyderabad nobody comes out of Emesco book stall without buying at least one book of hers! She is in 70s and stopped writing long back! Some are made into movies.
    Syamala

blackbeauty84 likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As a young child, I have watched my mother having her afternoon siesta resting her head on a bulky dictionary. That was the starting point of my love for books. My dad always used his finger as a book mark but I have seen him reading it. I have seen passengers carrying a 900 page novel with a book mark during a two hour flight. They must be the fastest readers in the world! My son in law is an architect and interior decorator and he tells me that impressive books are available to decorate the study. Because they are all of uniform size, they come in very handy to keep for Saraswathi Pooja. I love books.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Yes, Shyamala Mam she's really a good writer. I have seen my mom and aunts reading her books lending from friends, libraries. I read few novels of her Girija Kalyanam, Meena etc. This sunday I am going to visit Vishalandhra in Koti. My mom asked me to bring few books from there So, I will check for Secretary. Can you suggest any other good Telugu Novelist names & books??

Thyagarajan and shyamala1234 like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I do not know much about old classics. But modern times....look for short stories of Varanasi Nagalakshmi ( I have two books of her short story collection), D. Kameswari, Jalandhara short stories collection, Sri Ramana( not Mullapudi Venkataramana) columns, Kavanasarma.....these are the names immediately strike me. There is a Navodaya shop also....between Kachiguda chowrasta and Badis Chowdi, lane opposite to Aryasamaj Mandir. There you can get all these books.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan and teenulahari like this.
  6. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao::roflmao:

7. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Thank u so much Syamala Mam:).

8. Gaya3hari

Gaya3hari New IL'ite

What happened to vandiyadevan and kundavai later
    Do they have kids
    Did kundavai live in Tanjore itself with vandiyadeva

9. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

BB, it was a pleasure reading your post.

A book lover myself couldn't agree less. I was reminded of the time I missed a day in college just to finish Mathew Reillly's - The Temple, the times I've read keeping a candle or a flashlight in the room :). One book that moved me to tears, choked to be precise :D is Camille - Alexandre Dumas.

You are so true in saying no matter how much advancement technology has made, nothing can surpass the joy of holding a book. Glad you came up with this post, rekindled my memories :thumbsup:.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@blackbeauty84,

When I got married in 1983, my wife and I were trying to understand each other as it was an arranged marriage and we didn't know about each other much before the wedding. We can only come up with a laundry list of things that we are apart from each other. My wife's family is very traditional in regular reading of Sanskrit hymns, believers of horoscope and astrology, pooja's organized regularly, extraordinary affection to domestic helps (treating them like family members), very outspoken, plenty of friends, close with extended families, etc.

My parent's family is diagonally opposite with very little knowledge about Vedas, no belief in horoscope and astrology, pooja's were conducted only festival days, attitude of domestic help to be treated as a help only with no special treatment, introverts, limited friends, not too much interaction with extended families, etc.

But we found one thing common between the two of us was the habit of reading books. My wife still continue to be avid reader of the books and I find it hard to catch up her pace now at the age of 64 unless I come across some very attractive books of my interest. She reads a lot of novels, autobiography and Hindu religious books, I spent most of my time in reading science, spirituality, management, other religious books, mind-related books, etc.

I changed a lot towards her family settings as I realized those values are extraordinary even though I retained some of the values of my own family like not hurting anyone verbally, focus on education, lead a simple life, help people when they ask for it, never live in debts, etc.

Viswa

Thyagarajan and Gauri03 like this.