1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Bookaholics

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Sep 12, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I don’t remember the precise moment when I fell in love with books. But from the days I could remember as a family and extended family we are addicted to books.

Relaxing might mean listening to music, travelling for some but for our family it is always book, kaapi and sofa in that order.

In our family it’s perfectly understandable if you say ‘Be silent for ten minutes. I’m reading the climax chapter.’ We understand what it means to read a good book and come back to normal life. Most of our gifts would be books, books and books.

One day when my bhabhi was pregnant, my brother came from office to have lunch. He found my bhabhi curled up and crying in the sofa. He was alarmed worrying something is wrong with her. But it turned out that she was crying because Scott Bradley was killed in Honor among Thieves. Yes though she was hormonal this is pretty normal in our family. Needless to say my nephews turned up as avid readers themselves.

Long weekend would mean a trip to our lending library and come home with maximum books allowed by the librarian. Librarian would chuckle looking at me and ‘Will these book last next three days?’

Though technology is making the books availability easy, nothing can beat the pleasure of holding a book in our hand. The smell of new book coupled with thick aroma of filter kaapi is the first door step to heaven.

I remember reading Ponniyin Selvan for the fifteenth time even on the day of my delivery.

Well why this post? Marriage, naughty toddler, Work, commuting to work left with little time to read. Yesterday I was arranging the book shelf of my two year old. I'm buying him preloved books so that our book expenses come down . At the moment he has around 75 books and soon number of books he owns will overtake mine.

Another addition to the bookaholic family...

Thyagarajan, muggs, VinuthaS and 17 others like this.
  2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

So glad to find an ally in you BlackBeauty84. For me, it all started seeing the big almirah full of precious books - my dad's own library. I read Ponniyin Selvan when I was 14 or so and wrote on the character that I loved in my SSLC tamil exam. I too did add a few books to my father's prized collection, but his way of maintaining them - I am definitely far lazier. Thanks for sharing this thread. And its a pleasant surprise to know that all of you are bibliophiles. -rgs

sindmani and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

It is a great blessing to have a bookoholic family , dear @blackbeauty84 ! That way , everyone will understand each other's moods perfectly ! And there will always be lots to discuss .
    It is wonderful that you are starting to instil love of books in your child from an early age . A child who loves books will never be bored .

sindmani, Thyagarajan and geevee68 like this.
  4. blackbeauty84

Wow great to find an ally in you..
    Ponniyin selvan in SSLC exam...hilarious. I bad in books maintenance too and it's always a heart ache if someone borrows a book I love and never return it back.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. blackbeauty84

Yes.. even my cousins are like that and yes we are never short of topics.
    I'm restricting my kiddo with tv and mobile access, so used books as replacement. It's working well for us.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice snippet! Your son will always treasure the gift you have given him -- "the sweet serenity of books." A reading habit should count as part of a child's inheritance, more precious than most material assets parents bequeath upon their children. As long as you have a good book, it is impossible to be alone. Fostering a child's interest in reading is a labor of love. Needs plenty of patience and commitment in the early years. You've obviously done a good job with your son. I've successfully passed on the reading bug to my son, now working on it with the little one. I had shelved my books for a couple of years, busy trying to juggle kids, work and life, but this year I decided to make reading a priority, and once again, I'm hooked!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    sindmani likes this.
  7. blackbeauty84

I want him to fall in love with books just as how I did. Let's see how it works out. I too started reading again , may be I many not be able to read as earlier but atleast I can do a little.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Blackbeauty,
    I am in company with you. I love books. They are a great company and takes us to another world
    Some are read again and again. Some preserved for ever.
    I read both English and my mothertongue Telugu. Daily at least a few pages of Wodehouse is a must. Yes, I introduced my son to the world of books from the time he is 8,9 months. Daily ritual at feeding time was a book. A little bigger, he used to select the book he wanted to be read. Now he is a voracious reader.
    Every year a Book fair come to Hyderabad in December. More than 200 stalls. I visit 3,4 times. Once or twice to browse and a couple of trips to buy in both languages.
    In London there is a big book store Foyles....say it is the biggest book store, 5 stories. Can spend any amount of time sit one can sit and read there.Charing cross road is a road of book shops....all varieties.
    84, Charing cross road by Helene Hanff is a book is a correspondence between a book lover from New York and Marks & Co antiquarian book sellers...that is how they claim themselves. It is later made into a movie also. Please buy it . I bought it in Foyles.
    You have given your son a wonderful gift of reading. That would be with him forever, priceless gift.....in a world full of screens, may be T.V or mobile or tablet.
    Syamals

sindmani, Thyagarajan and teenulahari like this.
  9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I am a great lover of books. Even if we are all alone, books can give good company.
    The situation of book lovers in a family of book haters is really a curse.My cousin's husband was an avid reader of all books, fictions, literature, comics etc.In those days he would save bus charge, walk from office, buy good books from old book shop store.As soon as he came home tired walking over 5 kms, abuses would be raining .His father, mother wife and children -everybody would join the play.But he never turned back.He would keep many books in our house without the knowledge of his kith and kin.He had such a vast knowledge in many subjects which unfortunately no one appreciated.
    He had many harsh remarks such as that there was no need to buy firewood/cow dung cakes while he died and his collection of books would suffice to be used as fuel.
    He was so nice, he ignored all the remarks and was bent on reading, reading and reading till his last day.
    Some of the books which he gave, we cherish as treasure and have read them many number of times.

One should be fortunate to have company at least not to discourage, though they could not love reading.

Jayasala 42

Thyagarajan and teenulahari like this.
  10. blackbeauty84

Highfive!

I introduced to him around seven months and now he has his set of favorite books, books he reads before sleep etc.
    Book fair- oh man!During Chennai book fair I visit around 3-4 times. Didn't visit last two years though :-(

Yes I heard about Foyles through my brother. Will check for 84, charing cross.

Nice knowing a fellow book lover

Thyagarajan likes this.