1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Beauty And The Brain - Episode 6 - Serial With Weekly Episodes

Discussion in 'The Beauty And The Brain - Serial Story' started by varalotti, Apr 15, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Seeing You After A Long Time Here!

Dear Ambika,
    First thanks for the nice words you have about my writing skills. Nothing could be a better tonic and a greater inducement to write more and write better.
    After reading your post I realise that in the name of realistic writing I have hurt a lot of ladies by the 4th episode. I thought, judging from the jokes that are exchanged and justified by the place where the story unfolds, people will like that kind of description. I could not have been more wrong.
    Though I was a wee bit defensive seeing your soft mail now, I realise that I should not have done that. To use your own terminology I need to take back my words as "Unvaralottiish" as you did a few days ago. I do that.
    Regarding the names issue I am already working on it. Will have different names for the next serial.
    The problem with me is that I am sentimentally attached to some names and I find it is difficult to get over such attachment. (another effect of ageing, I don't know). Suggestion noted, Madam, for future action.
    Thanks for visiting the forum after a lo...ng gap. Seeing your post I feel the wait was worth the while.
    Thanks again for those kind words,
    sridhar

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

To Sridhar sir..

Dear Sridhar Sir,

I am much moved and awed by your generosity and patience and humility. This morning, I see that you have once again addressed each and every one of us individually and have answered with such sweet and kind words. There was no need for that and yet you have gone out of your way and spent your precious time and thought on our individual comments. Now I must be even more careful before I jot off any of my opinions, which you seem to value so much.
    I am so happy to make your acquaiantance and thanks to IL for that.
    Once again, thank you for providing all of us this venue to voice our opinions and thoughts. Though I started participating in this forum for the fun of it, I am happy to say that it has provided me more than fun. I am learning more about writing and its nuances, thanks mainly to you and ofcourse the other participants here. You are encouraging a lively inter-action between well known writers like yourself and an absolute novice like me. How enriching is that for my ego?!
    Romba nandri:)

PS: However well meant Ambika's comments maybe, you should go ahead and write exactly the way you visualise your characters and incidents. Please let us not colour your natural thought process. After all, an artist must enjoy his freedom of thought and expression. My two cents!

Have a lovely day.

Regards,
    Kamla

3. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

surprised...

Dear Kamla

My candid observation and comments were not meant to change the writing style of Sridhar, nor am I an authority....since Sridhar and I share very cordial relation, I took liberty in pointing out something which "I" felt was not in good taste.. and I am surprised that you have singled me out particularly. Please read what Sridhar said " After reading your post I realise that in the name of realistic writing I have hurt a lot of ladies by the 4th episode"

ambika

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dearest Ambika...

Hello! How could I ever point fingers at you Ambika when almost all of us have expressed the same opinion as you to Sridhar in our reactions to that particular episode?! As a matter of fact, I am still impressed by your latest post to Sridhar which you have formulated so well and so kindly too and with a light heartedness so as not to hurt anyone's sensibilities. It was not lost on me. But upon reading Sridhar's response to you, I felt he might be giving in to the pressure that ALL OF US ILites have imposed on him, esp, regarding how he portrays Neha Kapoor and the cine world. I only mentioned your post in this reference as I had read yours just minutes back before writing and it was still fresh on my mind. If I hurt you in any way, I apologise profusely. You have a very special place in my heart already Ambika:)
    After reading his lines:
    "Though I was a wee bit defensive seeing your soft mail now, I realise that I should not have done that",
    ...my concern was totally for Sridhar/Varalotti's novel. He has placed his characters in the cine world and I am sure he will want to project it to us as it is and we all know, it is going to be colourful. Now he may feel a bit restricted. That was the only reason I wrote what I did and in the bargain, caused pain to you.
    It is not enough just to be able to write, it is important to know 'how' to write. I have learnt something more today!
    Hope this is a satisfying explanation and rest assured my mentioning you was without any malice.

L, Kamla

5. varalotti

Thanks Kamla and Ambika

Dear Kamla and Ambika,
    I am bathing in the affection of you people. As Ambika and all writers know, a writer wont change his style to suit the readers. But a writer has a duty to take the sensibilities of his readers into consideration.
    For instance I can't write a Bhakthi Story and send it to a Tamil Magazine called Police Seithi, which publishes only about crimes. Nor can I venture to write this serial in Kumudham Bhakthi Speical magazine.
    It was in the matter of concern for the forum that I feel I erred or I strayed a little too much.
    As a writer I love freedom of expression and hold it as dear as my life. But the moment my freedom starts hurting others, I have an immediate responsibility to make amends.
    For instance though I respect M.F.Hussain as a talented artist, I can't tolerate his painting Bharat Matha in the nude. All his justifications only make him appear more perverse to me.
    I did not go that far. But I realise that I went far enough to hurt many ladies in this site.
    Ambika waited for two more episodes to go and then while appreciating the subsequent episodes casually pointed out the excesses in 4th.
    When your child does something naughty you have two choices, Kamla. One is just say it on his face and correct it then and there. But a really naughty child like me will only argue, get defensive and throw counter-charges as I did in my almost rude reply to Vidya.
    The other alternative is to wait till the child does something really good. Then you pat the child on its back, praise it profusely and as you are about to leave the room, say, 'this is good, but what you did on the other day was not that good.' Then walk out of the room without waiting for the child's reaction. The child will brood over these remarks for a whole night and come to his mother the next morning and say, 'Mom, I'm sorry for what I did the other day.'
    Ambika chose to correct this naughty child by the second method. That's all.
    And Kamla you were there to see that the pendulum does not swing too far on the other side. Please don't worry. I wont change my style of writing or my portrayal of characters or the contents.

I owe a lot to both of you, my dear friends.
    sridhar

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  6. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

Thanks so much

Dear Kamla and Sridhar

Emotion can come between people as ' a separating wall or as a connecting link'...
    I am truly happy that we are connected in that sweet emotion of friendship- we are directed, provoked, corrected, rewarded and loved in that emotion..

We have proved that 'Friendly hearts will have handles - not latches and locks...'

Thanks so much dear friends..
    ambika

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Haaaa.......

Words words words! How they soothe and sing when used by competent writers!
    All poor me can say is, I am happy now after reading them, Sridhar and Ambika:) Now the day can go on....:)

Your friend,
    Kamla

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The follow up is equally interesting !

Dear Sridhar,
    We read about freedom of expression generally. But you make this forum more interesting by giving us total freedom of review or follow up, however you call it.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the interactions between the one & only Ambika, Kamla who expresses very well & ofcourse you, the captain of the ship ! I am thankful to you for getting back to your method of posting a reply to every mail. I know what a lot of effort & time you will need, but it is our pleasure.
    Sridhar, please don't switch over to Bhakthi or Police seithi ! Masala mix is our cup of tea, definitely !
    Next to a list of heroine's names, I am posting a lst of heroes' names today !
    Let the names soak in you like Thayir vadai & Rasa vadai ( after all, I am a cookery columnist!) & emerge beautifully in your serials as heroes & heroines !
    It is good that you have promised not to change your style of writing, which we have started enjoying very much.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. varalotti

Thanks For The Names, Chitra

Dear Chitra,
    Thanks for the nice words. Ambika definitely deserves the title "the one and only". Kamla's response has also been really moving.
    It was only when I attempted to reply individually to all the respondents, that I realised that every one in this forum deserve the prefix, "one and only", and you, only more so.
    As I wrote to you I have allowed the names to soak in and get as soft as the thayir vadai's you make. Looks like it will take longer time than I expected.
    Thanks once again for the nice words.
    sridhar

10. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

Glad

Glad that Ambika has become another Subbudu like the real-life Sharada! Why should we mince our words Kamala? It's a personal opinion - the writer can write and the readers have the right to praise or condemn! We hold nothing against Varalotti the person - but we attack when what he writes goes against the grain of our sensibilities or what we expect from him.
    Varalotti, in your forthcoming serials you can change all the names that you want - but stick to mine cos that will bring you luck! You couldn't think of Sethu hitting the bottle as you are a teetotaller! - you must try to think from different angles. Most men drink for and on any occasion - sad/lonely (Devdas syndrome), happy, with friends, party/function!
    High priestess,
    Sharada