1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Battle Of Wits

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 16, 2017.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Talk of New Year Resolutions! Sabitha, don't blame me. You got me started on this one!

Mine is not a New Year Resolution - it was more of a 5 year plan! :expressionless:

"High time the house got a coat of paint", I told the BH a few years ago. Probably it was 5 years ago?

"Sure", he said. "Let the monsoon come to an end, then we'll paint it".

Monsoons came to an end. Then it was "You are not well". So it was postponed. Then it was "I don't have time now. I have a lot of pending jobs. I can't have workers all over the place. We'll do it end of this year" (I forget which year that was). :confused:

As if BH was not enough for me to contend with, my back stepped in big time and kicked me hard. My mom's Alzheimer's made me forget all about painting. :angry:

When I remembered again, there were many reasons why we could not get the house painted. More monsoons and summers came and went. Even the Woman Friday would keep reminding me gently that we should get the house painted. :BangHead:

Finally, December 2016 arrived and the dear mil left to visit her son abroad and this son decided we could get our house painted in her absence. He went to drop her at his brother's place. He kept pleading that I should not start the painting work in his absence. Reason? How will you manage? You are not well. It is not safe..... :shakehead:

There is nothing to get me going like telling me I can't. So I waited for mom and son to leave. Then I summoned the paint company and paid off the advance amount. There! Now there was nothing he could do to undo my plans. The kitchen was the first step so the growling tum of the growling hubby could be kept smiling when he got back. Before he got back, I ensured that our room and balcony were handed over for painting. There! Another step. He could not stop that. :treadmill:

It was not as easy after that. Woman proposed, man tried to dispose. But when woman is determined, with or "w.o. man", she makes sure work is done. So he raved, ranted, screamed at workers. Woman got samosas and fed them to workers to keep up their spirits. :) After he calmed down and toed the line - to a large extent - just in time so the woman did not have a nervous breakdown.

How can 'woman' forget her Women Friday, Saturday and Sunday? Woman Friday was asked to come an hour earlier till work got done, another stayed till Woman Sunday arrived and Woman Sunday remained to clean up after workers. So the whole day was covered and work went on smoothly. :cheer:

Except for a new connection that we have discovered between electrical points, tube lights, bulbs, invertors and wifis and painting. Every tubelight/bulb decided to give up the ghost after a room was painted. The invertor blew. The wifi got burnt. What was the connection? Search me! Carpenter had to be summoned to set drawers in the kitchen right. They got jammed after painting. :yikes:

So now woman has her work cut out. Electrician to be summoned to get all electrical points checked out. Carpenter to be brought in to get woodwork repaired. Vinyl flooring to be changed. A petulant BH looking like thunder to be treated as gently as a child. :facepalm:

Do I need any more New Year's Resolutions after this? I think I am better off with 10 year plans. 5 years is too frequent for my jangled nerves! Now the dear son wants me to get two rooms of mil's house painted before she arrives. I am not feeling well. Probably we should wait until next summer. :roflmao:

I know there are only 11.5 months left to this year. Happy New Year all the same!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    swathi27, ashima10, Srama and 13 others like this.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Happy 2017 to you too Sats!
    Wow, back to back posts from Srama and you, znd on new year resolutions too!
    Mine is, sorry was, to declutter.

That was such a hilarious read! I was visualizing all that happened in your home, and now I am tired. Ufff, so much work. And you must have some mesmerizing powers to get, not just Woman Friday, but Saturday and Sunday as well.
    During my life in India, getting even Half-a-Woman Friday used to be such a battle.
    May be the secret is the hot samosas. The foodie in me wants to know if you served hot tea as well.

Mmm... just looking around my home. Could do with some fresh paint. Going to the computer to check good samosa supplier.
    See ya...

shyamala1234 and satchitananda like this.
  3. satchitananda

OK. Let me let you in on my secret. Women Friday, Saturday and Sunday have a free run of the kitchen, since they buy the veggies, do the cooking, cleaning etc. Before life came to this pass, I or BH would make coffee for Woman Friday. After my back to back back surgeries, Women Saturday and Sunday came into my life. So they are happy and so am I so long as they are happy to help. :) We have our friendly grumbles at each other ..... but then life goes on. It has to. :) So yes, I get them samosas, and they make coffee for themselves and me.

Enjoy your samosas. :-D

kkrish likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Quite hilarious.We painted our house in 2006.The walls are just weeping.My husband says he is not prepared to spend a pie on this 55 year old house,let it fall on our heads.He is actually afraid of this dragging business from painter to carpenter to electrician to plumber.We are more concerned as to how to paint the loft crowded with tens of big suit cases that are used only for overseas travel.It is after all our house.Let it weep or cry.We need not bother.Once I segregate things to be thrown away, my husband will bring back almost everything.According to him 'it will be of some use to us some day".
    I am fed up with arguing.My husband is 79, I am 75.Let the house gather dust for a few more years.I heard that cobweb is a symbol of wealth.Let us be wealthy for a few more years.

Jayasala 42

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @satchitananda Sats for the tip.
    The samosas are not for me, but for Women Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...probably Monday as well !

satchitananda likes this.
  6. satchitananda

So good to hear from you JS Ma'am. We got this house in 2004. After this is the first round of painting. By the time the next time is due (may be after another 15 years? :-D) we should be ready to move to a retirement home. So I shan't worry.

The other day I asked my Woman Sunday to pull out all my files and books from the cupboard, took a deep breath, decided that what I have not opened in 10 years is unlikely to be used in the next 10. I mercilessly chucked out my papers. The BH has been telling me to clear up. But he has various generations of stuff which he swears he can't live without! WEll..... what can I do? Unless I get rid of them one by one when he is not looking!

stayblessed likes this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Happy New Year, Satchi.
    rol! that was so funny.
    Yep painting is a pain. The before and after works is huge. A few years back, i decided to paint one of the bedrooms myself. It took a month to paint as I used paint on the weekends and also a month to recover from all the pain. I don't think we will be doing painting anytime soon.

As for new year's resolutions, we plan to clean up the papers and the closets. It will probably end up as 5 year project.

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

You are not alone, my friend. I went through renovation of our kitchen and Master bathroom in the last quarter of 2016. It was a nightmare. The contractor who started the work in the bathroom did a bad job, I ended up firing him half way through. Later I found out that he was not even a licensed contractor. I don't believe in suing people. I decided to bite the bullet and redo some part of bad work he did. Kitchen design was done by Lowe's and I gave the kitchen to a new contractor who was much more creative. This time I made sure he was a real licensed contractor.

He did a good job and to get them out of our house was an uphill task. They always kept something or other open to be completed. Here, mostly one or two will start the work and when we think that they are going to ramp up with more people, the same two continue from start to finish. The work involved new electrical, new plumbing, moving fridge to a new place, installing kitchen cabinets, installing new granite stones, etc.

Now everything is done and dusted but my wife is leaving for India from the end of this month until March end. I am all by myself in a new kitchen with a lot of instructions from my wife not to mess with the kitchen.

Viswa

9. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Why does this sound like me? oh yes, because it is me. Totally ME! :D

10. satchitananda

Hats off to you Akanksha. I really admire the way people paint their own homes without depending on anyone. But it is easier than done here. As for me doing it, wish I could .....