1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Art Of Lying

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jan 6, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

THE ART OF LYING

We all tell lies.These are normally inoffensive lies.Let us take a few examples.

If we don’t want to answer a call, ask the child to say Appa is not available and he has forgotten to take his cell phone when he went out. Alternatively we say later that we did not hear the ring due to tower problem.

We have an appointment but we start late but give an excuse of traffic jam.To add power to this explanation we ask for a glass of water and drown it.If we don’t want to keep an appointment,call the other person in the last minute and say you are unwell.To prevent free advice flowing in, you say that you are suffering from hay fever and for effect cough a couple of times The other person promptly says” take care” not figuring out what hay fever is about.I have come across chaps who tell a sad story to borrow money and follow it up with a tearful story for not repaying it. Lies or you may call exaggeration are bandied about,on marriage expenses,interior jobs in the newly costructed house,designations and salaries of children etc.I am a social drinker-need not be taken seriously in many cases.One chap advertised in matrimonial site that he was an eggtarian.When after the marriage he was questioned while taking chicken,his calm raply was the chicken came from the egg only.Those days grand parents demise came in handy while applying for leave.Some of you may recall the hilarious scene in the tamil film Mannan depicting Rajinikanth and Goundamari getting caught when they take leave on the pretext of grandmas death to go to the first show of a film.In western countries,during Chritsmas, children are made to believe that Santa Claus comes through the chimney bearing gifts.This is a massive lie at the international level,but Santa Claus with his rotund frame brings joy to the children and adults in equal measure.Now and then lies are told to have fun particularly between couples and also accepted on April 1.

My first serious attempt at lying was when I was in the eighth standard.It was a Saturday and I was preparing for the final exam. Around 4.30 pm I told my parents that our teacher had arranged for a special class for select students for three hours.I left the house and rushed to watch the football match between two famous teams.Sometime during the match a familiar hand touched my shoulder and I was petrified to see my father.I mentally examined which part of the anatomy I should expose for thrashing.After the match was over, my father instead of scolding me patted me and said that he would have taken me for the match if I had spoken the truth.That taught me a lesson, not to be scared of telling the truth.

When I was RM Marketing in a company in Hyderabad I could not get enough supplies to meet the demand.My standard reply to the customers to buy time was that the product was shipped and was on its way .An exasperated customer told me in Telegu “abadhalu cheppidhe aada pillale”means that if you tell lies you will get only girls[not boys].Incidentally I did not worry at this comment as I already had two daughters.

There is a tamil proverb which says tell one thousand lies and conduct a marriage.Appearance, house keeping skills on the part of the girl and looks,position ,salary habits etc on the part of the boy were exaggerated for finalising a marriage proposal.Now girls are smart and they can see through the game even though cases are plenty where girls have been taken for a ride and quite a few lost their money.It is all Chemistry my dear Watson.

Recently I have handled a case in which the boy[husband] was found to be a pathological liar cheating on the girl,morally,emotionally and financially.He had cultivated the habit of lying as a fine art.The girl is highly qualified,intelligent,employed in an MNC and earning well. She was carried away by his suave manners,courtesy to her parents,absence of pretensions as a son in law,consideration for her comforts etc had blinded her to the extent of parting with substantial amounts resulting in her subsequent default on repayments.After giving him a long rope she confided her problem to me.Information gathered through a private detective and a thorough check in places he had lived revealed a sorry state of affairs. His lies included nonexistent job,girlfriend masquerading as Rakhee sister,paying for official journey and claiming reimbursement later,lending money to his affluent sister for an unforeseen exigency,pledging the girls jewellery and claiming that they were in safe sustody in a bank locker etc.The case has now gone for divorce by mutual consent after collecting the money she had lent to him.The money spent on marriage amounting to Rs.fifteen lakhs has gone down the drain as we cannot recover a share of the expenses incurred on conducting the marriage as per Supreme court ruling.In any case the case would have dragged on for years as he has no money and we were anxious to put it behind us and allow the girl to start her life afresh.The surprise is that he is from a good middle class family ,with the members unaware of his Dr.Jekkyl and Hyde personality.Our suspicion is that the mother was privy to some of his misdeeds and depended on marriage as a correctional mechanism.

There are algebraic liars who believe that two lies make a positive. There are also liers classified as permissible,indulging as a pastime,professional or passionate. This boy was a passionate lier and followed the fine art of not leaving a trail. The lesson therefore is that inspite of the tamil proverb it is necessary to seek professional help in doing a discreet background check before finalising a marriage.

The most pitiable situation is when parents tell a lie to cover up the misdeeds of their children and help them escape punishment.This is called Dhritarashtra syndrome-artificial blindness not wanting to see what is uncomfortable to see.Lying at best can bring about only a temporary solution to problems.

Currently the exchange of lier barbs between top politicians in the country is sickening.I do not know what type of message we are sending to the international community.Ironically the emblem of the Indian Government carries the message-SATYAMEVE JAYATE.Churchills misinformation to deceive the enemy during world war two was glorified as “terminological inexatitudes” spread in national interest.Perhaps this is an inspiration for Indians.

joylokhi, Balajee, Viswamitra and 3 others like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

A meme for the New Year !!

[​IMG]

3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Lying is more of a habit. Some are habitual liars. A friend of mine never returned on time after his annual leave. His usual excuse was death of his mother or some one in the family. He would come with head all shaven and there was no reason not to believe.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.There is enough coming on the conveyor belt to provide fodder gossip in the days to come.SLN

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Some secondary action is required to add strength to the .That is what your friend seems to be doing.In many cases I have seen that liers have sterling qualities that you are inclined to forgive and continue to accept their company.

sindmani and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

It is conventional wisdom that children never tell lies.But researchers on child psychology convey that lying plays a positive role in normal child development and that telling lies is more or less comparable to individual thinking and emotional control.

Knowingly or unknowingly man is forced to be consciously aware of continuing different lies to different persons to escape being caught and is unable to come out of the vicious circle.

For fear of concealing the truth, if we are silent,then silence also becomes a lie.
    Election promises,sales advts are clear lies.

The lies by learned lawyers come under the ‘technically true’ category and they are experts in misleading others to believe what is not true.

All research findings become lies one day, on further findings.

Medical truths turn out to be falsehoods when further truths are revealed.

"History is a set of lies already agreed upon"said Napoleon.

Even Lord is no exception. With a view to eliminating the power of Dhronacharya at the enemy camp on the Kurukshetra war fields, Yudhishtira,, the eldest of Pandavas known for his impeccable honesty , is made to tell not just a 'white lie' but a deeply designed 'blackest of lies'

Lord Sri.Krishna ,as their Divine Adviser of sorts,threw several 'Lies' under the pretext of protecting 'Dharma'.

In Mahaabhaaratha, Aadi Parvam, it is said that lying on five occasions is not considered sin. One can tell lies to a woman (!), on the occasion of marriage , when one's life is in danger, when one's wealth is threatened, and as a mere joke.
    " Thiruvalluvar says'Poyyum Vaaimai udaiththu'( Even lies can be treated as truth)
    on certain occasions.
    So a label of liar need not necessarily be a dishonour!! So, our "eminent and reputed" lawyers become "liars" and this distinction gets them a fat amount of money as well. Nay, what is more, lying when considered "an opinion" becomes a faith and is sought to be justified under the fundamental right of "freedom of expression" or freedom to lie. While freedom to lie in public is sought to be justified and goes unpunished, such freedom is denied in court because it then becomes perjury.

The whole world is Maya,says Sankaracharya.It is not real and is stated to be a web created by our own thoughts.
    Incidentally the theory of Maya is gaining momentum among Science Community and they are at the verge of proving that the world is itself is a delusion.
    When the entire world is Maya what harm is there if people tell lies in this world of delusion. Let Maya embellish Maya!

jayasala42

Thyagarajan and sindmani like this.
  8. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Just disgusting

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the well researched FB.One gets a well rounded personality only when he tells a lie as demanded by the situation.However not hurting an individual by distorting facts should be a prime factor in classifying the lie.
    SLN

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.