1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"the Art Of Giving" Ramblings

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SunPa, Aug 24, 2018.

1. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

The birthday thread has given me a lot to ponder about. So much in the sharings and perspectives.

Why do we give?

Somewhere hidden in the giving isnt there the donor's pride, some validation – the extreme I give therefore I am a superior human to the much milder naalu payru naallamanushan nu solluvanga, ( people will tell I am a good man)

On a special day like child’s birthday, it is indeed noble to sponsor a meal at an orphanage.
    Or… is it?

Do we take into account the receiver's diginity?
    If I was 10 yr old kid at an orphanage, I would perhaps feel happy if someone was celebrating a birthday - I will get yummy food, some gift, yes I would likely be excited. But when I see the kid who is lovingly fusssed over by his parents, the kid who is so well dressed, who seems so well educated, handing out the goodies, how would that make me feel? There he is, this lovely generous prince, and here I am receiving handouts...

Is that really what we would want the child to feel? Is our child going to be able to relate to that child?

That is why what @Vishwamitra sir shared is so lovely. When he held the upanayanam for other children along with his own, I realised that this is how you "give". By treating the underprivileged as your equal. His son share the dais along with his less privileged peers. What better way to show your child - we share what we have with those who have less.

So on this friday morning , I have come to this grand realisation –

It’s not about giving.
    It is about sharing.
    We share because we feel for the receiver.
    We share because we see the receiver as an equal.

And that makes me understand the beauty of the ‘Indian’ saying "what the right hand gives , left hand shouldnt know" - a reminder not to let your pride take over and to not diminish the pride of the receiver.

DH helps out a lot financially, for his distance cousins and now their children - and it has been mainly for education. And it’s not so much because education is an investment and all that, even when he tells me "if they have a good degree, they can get a good job and will be able to take care of themselves." I think the real reason it matters to him is he had struggled during his college days to pay his fees and he knows the pain, the humiliation. And this is his way of making it a little easy for others, to make a difference.

Every time he discussed the University fees for some child, he never tells "yeena kodukalam?" (what should we give?) , he tells "yenna seiyallam?" (what should we do?) It just seems so appropriate in Tamil. Innately I realize we use in Indian languages “give” when it is expected of us and “do” when we really feel we should contribute.

The pondering continues ... do "Share" your thoughts and ramblings :)

Amica, sindmani, Thyagarajan and 16 others like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sunpa,
    How we share is equally important.... Absolutely. The taker also has dignity.
    We share or give because it makes us feel good.
    In Ramakrishna math, Hyderabad there is Balanarayana seva , a breakfast programme for school going children.We contribute for it on my kids' birthdays. But we never go there... We can, if we want. The children should not feel that we are the givers and they are the takers. As regular practice one of the Brahmacharis serve.
    Syamala

sindmani, Thyagarajan, jskls and 5 others like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@SunPa,

You have shared a beautiful thought and very rightly you have differentiated between GIVE and DO. There are many ways of relating to our experiences; we may choose to wallow in self pity forever and be bitter, we may choose to look at our lives' positivity with gratefulness, we may choose to help others and brighten their path or turn arrogant about our fortunes and achievements. When the first option or turning arrogant are chosen, forever we refuse to let go and grow as human beings. While choosing the other options allows us to grow and discover the higher power. Yes, what the right hand does, the left shouldn't know.

sindmani, Thyagarajan, jskls and 3 others like this.
  4. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Bhagavad-Gita too said"kya lekar aaye the jo isse apna kahte ho aur kya lekar jaoge jo samet rahe ho" The things kept beside us does not belong to us. So we are not giving we are just passing it on.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Amica, Thyagarajan, kkrish and 7 others like this.
  5. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Nice post @SunPa.
    I agree with your sentiments.
    As for providing orphanages with a good meal, prefer to do it on a holiday, such as Diwali or Independence day or such, not on my kid’s bday. Would hate to make a kid sad that that some kid’s bday is so different than theirs.
    Education and healthcare are two things I would love to help with. As for giving, I don’t mind giving to a known person than an unknown person.. meaning it’s easier to reach out and help my maid who is struggling and some less well off distant relatives than a stranger.. would want to make sure that my contributions are effectively utilized not wasted in an organization’s business expenditures.

Thyagarajan, jskls, kkrish and 3 others like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@SunPa

The difference in doing and giving.. the thin line.. where i come from in my life, i am blessed to be able to do it..

I think of the whole schema as giving back and pay it forward..
    yes my kids do contribute from their pocket money.. they have stopped celebrating their birthday in a anyd way and the unwritten rule is we double the amount they have saved when we share the blessings with underprivileged.

Anything i earn goes towards education for someone who cant help himself..so i make it a point to earn the amount needed for the year..i feel god has made me the catalyst to help someone who needs it.

Oh, there are people who are shouting from roof tops about their contributions to flood victims and there are some who are silently doing it..

And i never share the details of what is given to whom even with close ones unless it is a loan.. i believe that the left hand does not need to know what the right gives...and never trample anyone's self respect is something i follow..
    One of the reasons i dont take reciepts for tax exemptions..nullifies the purpose of doing..
    Do what we can today, don't postpone it for another day..kal kisne dekha..
    And i would be foolish if i think i am doing it.. the need in the other and the ability to do, the willingness to do are all beyond my everyday comprehension. Time and tide change in the blink of a eye..

So being humane is a everyday evolving process
    TN girl donates Rs 9,000 saved for over 4 years for new cycle to Kerala, gets unexpected reward

sindmani, Thyagarajan, jskls and 6 others like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good one @SunPa

The tenet which my husband and I follow is "God has chosen me to be the one to do this job and it is my privilege" - it does not matter whether it helping financially, or offering a shoulder to cry on, or just doing a job assigned to you at work.

Do it happily and look upon it as a privilege.

Amica, sindmani, Thyagarajan and 5 others like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@SunPa,

What a wonderfully written thread this is! You are absolutely right. My Guru taught me a lot on this subject. I learned a lot of compassion from my spouse as well in real life.

1 - Selflessness - The selflessness is important i.e. to share without any superior feeling or grudge.

2 - Equality - Share only what we would like to have - To the extent possible, what we won't use it in person should never be shared.

3 - Individual respect - The person with whom we share should be treated with respect - In simple terms, his hands must be on top and sharing hands should be at the bottom

4 - Name/Fame/Publicity - This should be strictly avoided - Even if sharing the actions might trigger others to do, it has to be done discreetly with a lot of humility without any assigned values

5 - Attitude - Sharing should not be considered as a favor to someone else and the attitude should be the opportunity to share is a blessing.

These are my initial thoughts.

Viswa

sindmani, Thyagarajan, jskls and 5 others like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@SunPa

There was a thread here by a keralite asking for sanitary napkin which is a reminder guideline for the one who can do.. i hope they got it..nature cycles don't stop..

Thevai arinji pannu..beijg aware of what the other needs..

It was a eyeopener during chennai floods when dd and her friends were volunteering and few ladies came up tothem asking for panties and pads....that wei wiped off sanitary napkins off the racks of supermarkets and medical shops is a story for another time.. there have been ilites here who blindly believed me and asked me to help on thier behalf too..

Never ever tell the person, you did a favour or were blessed go share with..there is nothing worser than this..they did not ask, you shared because you could .

Giving or doing should be sans expectations..you do because you can..

10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

That is so thoughtful of you
    @shyamala1234.

We had donated for my daughter's birthday for annadhanam, since her birth. At that time, I had wanted to go with her but we weren't in India then. Only on the later years I realised it is fortunate we could not go.

sindmani, Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.