1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Accountant, the venture capitalist, the housewife and the actress!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jun 6, 2011.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

It was a typical day in a mofussil accountant’s life. I had to handle the first-time tax returns of an elderly couple who had a windfall thanks to the real estate prices.

Filing returns for the first time is a complex process. You will have to create a log-in ID for the client at the Income Tax Website.

That in itself could be complicated because of the first-name last-name confusion we have in India.

Then you should download the correct return form along with the return preparation software from the site. If its mere salary and interest income then it is ITR1, if its house property income as well then it’s ITR 2 and so on.

You should have prepared a statement of income and should have computed the tax beforehand. And should have paid the tax even before that process, based on the estimate.

Then you fill up the form validate it to check for any omissions and errors and then convert it into an XML file.

You would do better to glance at the xml file to check the major particulars, especially the year, the bank account number (otherwise you cannot encash your tax refund cheque as the account number printed on the cheque will be wrong) and the tax paid details.

Then you log into the site and upload the return, get the acknowledgement in a password protected pdf file, open it, have it signed by the client and then send it by post to the Centralized Processing Centre at Bangalore.

As I was doing the process with utmost concentration I cannot help thinking about my college-mate who is also a chartered accountant.

He heads one of the Gulf’s largest venture capital firms. With the same amount of work which I did today he would have cleared a project making a value-add of several millions to his employers.

I also made a value-add to my firm but it was in just thousands. For venture capitalists the stakes are quite high. But when it comes to skill and complexity there is not much of a difference.

And I am confident that a good accountant’s skillsets is no less than those of a heart surgeon.

And that a good plumber is not in any way less skilled than the accountant or the surgeon.

While the skills required are almost the same one person can add millions in terms of value (and thus earn in millions as well) while the other can hope to add and earn only in terms of thousands.

The plumber who came to our house on the other day to fix a water block turned out the same quality of work I did; and yet he could earn only in hundreds while I was silently making my thousands.

A housewife with school going kids is turning out much more valuable work than a cine actress who does a 12 hour schedule on a hot summer day.

While the actress is paid in millions and she hogs the limelight all the time, the housewife remains an unpaid and unsung heroine.

The housewife and the mofussil accountant are in the same boat along with the plumber and the electrician.

Many years ago I was talking to a Master Printer in Madurai. Those were pre-DTP days, pre-computer days. This man used to turn out excellent work with a mini offset printer and a few treadle presses.

Books, annual reports, wedding invitations.. name anything you could see quality in them.

He used to handle all the prestigious printing work in the city. I asked him what work did he value the most.

The old man affectionately patted on my shoulders.

“Everything’s the same, Sridhar. Whether you design a visiting card or print a million dollar multi-colour poster for a political party, the skill and dedication I bring to the table is the same.

"And if you calculate the skill and sincerity per square centimetre of output, I’m afraid that the visiting card work will come first. What you do is not important at all; how you do it is.”

Once one of the ladies handling the recipes section here in IL complained to me that she was being looked down upon by intellectuals who were in the Good To Read section at that time.

My defence for the lady was simple:

“Preparing a first rate soup is a million times better than writing a third rate poetry.”

Osho says that you can be very creative while sweeping the floor and can be totally uncreative while writing an epic poem.

What do we do for a living is not in our hands. But how we do it surely is. You may be a mofussil accountant like me or a housewife.

Your happiness depends not on what you do but how you do it. Remember that there are as many happy accountants and happy housewives as there are unhappy venture capitalists and unhappy actresses.

At the end of the day happiness alone matters.

Thank God, that’s still in our hands.

Have a great week ahead.

2. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir,

The dots were quite far off this time..the connecting lines had to go a long way..still, YOU have drawn an amazing 'Rangoli' splashing hues of Serenity and Solace!

Extremely Effective words for an Effervescent start to the week:
    >What do we do for a living is not in our hands. But how we do it surely is. Your happiness depends not on what you do but how you do it. At the end of the day happiness alone matters.

Sir, your 'Kolams' and 'Rangoli's' are getting to be more colourful..more shimmering..more driving home the point and more Inspiring!!!!

Regards & love,
    Saras.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

You have hit the nail on the head Varalottiji. "Dignity of labour" is a concept which still has to catch on in India. It brought to mind a time when a certain lady kept insisting that a doctor's job was the most important, because it concerned the lives of the patients. A teacher's job according to her did not fall into the same category. I wonder where all the doctors would have been if there had been no nursery school teacher to hold their hands and teach them how to write and read.

4. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear sir, Another excellent inspiring blog from you!!! Simple words from you make such a big impact... Hats off to you:bowdown

Very true that money does not bring happiness.. Happiness lies in our own hands.... Rich people are not always happy... Simple people turn out to be the most happy ones...

5. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    That was a great blog as ever. I vouch for these statements of fact of yours-

Whether it is a plumber. a carpenter, a driver or a chef, all may have different set of skills but the effort and time they put in is the same. I am very much disturbed at the disparity in their earnings, specially of the working class. At least we, the educated lot have a choice of earning more if we chose too.
    And....... the housewife...........I have nothing to say about her......the most pitiable one.....!
    Love
    Malathi

6. gayuharini

gayuharini Bronze IL'ite

Sridhar sir,

Nethi la adicha pola oru lesson...

“Preparing a first rate soup is a million times better than writing a third rate poetry.
    What do we do for a living is not in our hands. But how we do it surely is."

Thanks
    Gayathri

7. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Your happiness depends not on what you do but how you do it. I liked these lines and you have mentioned
    in a colourful way which added further beauty to your narration.Whatever we do, we see, we cherish only the happiness counts in human mind which hit our mind when we recall our old memories.

8. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Wow...Superb blog Sir...

“Preparing a first rate soup is a million times better than writing a third rate poetry.”

How true!! :thumbsup

9. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Couldn't help replying to this satchi!! What you have said is sooooooo true :thumbsup

10. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Beautiful blog sir, loved it :clap
    Sadly, profession not only decides how much one earns during his career, it also decides how much one can demand from a girl's family at the time of wedding. These days, software engineers are the most in demand and the most demanding lot :bonk