That Stupid Fairness Cream

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chinni86, May 10, 2011.

1. ps401

ps401 New IL'ite

Hi

I agree with you but who is going to change this concept. All our matrimony ads for a bride say fair slim and beautiful. Have we every come across any one saying that even if the girl is dark it is fine.

Our Indian minds will never change and all the fairness companies will prosper.

I would like to say about our matrimony ads. for bride ----- fair tall professionally qualified look after the elders preferably working and domesticated, domestically trained etc. Are the girls some pets that they have to be domesticated. Come on you guys grow up! Don!t put all the blame on the mothers. What are you folks educated for?---- We can start another thread on this topic rite na?

Bye

2. haritharaja

haritharaja New IL'ite

Indians have a general notion that Fairness is beauty and speaking in english is intelligence. That is another complex sowed in Indians by the British and the other westeners. The same complex is carried through generations in our chromosomes. It is high time we changed this pattern and let atleast the next generation to be confident about their complexion and say goodbye to all the fairness creams (which are nothing but scented maida paste :) ). Only good thing about fairness creams is that the companies and models who ambassador the creams earn filthy lot.

3. luxsuresh

luxsuresh Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

Many ppl have written their views on skin colour. I am neither too dark nor too fair. I have a wheatish complexion. My daughter also has a wheatish complexion. When we came newly to stay in Qatar and my daughter started going to school she was commented by her classmates that she is darker. She is just a 6 yr. old child and just think how bad my child must have felt. when she came and told me, for a moment i didn't know how to convince her that skin colour is not at all a big issue. Beauty lies in how smart you look and how active you are and the way u treat everyone kindly. She is a very cute looking, beautiful, having good thick curly hair. Above all she is a very affectionate and loving character. what more is required?
    Even though at home v don't speak about all these rubbish she somehow got this complex from her schoolmates. Now, tell me Chinni what should i do? It is very difficult to make the children understand. But still i keep telling her that she is the most beautiful girl and whenever we go out i dress her up so beautifully and she always gets noticed by everyone and gets comments saying "You look beautiful" . I want to develop that confidence in her. Skin colour alone is not beauty. The beauty lies in how u carry yourself.
    Hope many moms would be facing such a problem.

Laxmi

4. InduSanskriti

InduSanskriti New IL'ite

Recently in a television discussion on this topic one of the participants silenced everybody saying Fair is definitely beautiful, would Aishwarya Rai still be called beautiful if she had been very dark? Everybody seemed to agree.

5. luxsuresh

luxsuresh Senior IL'ite

Hi InduSanskriti,

Definitely i agree with u. Being fair is beautiful. But it doesn't mean only fair ppl are beautiful. Colour is an added advantage for them which enhances their look. There are many fair ppl i have seen who don't just look attractive at all. They don't have attractive features. But at the same time there are so many dark or wheatish complexion ppl who have very much attractive features and they also do get compliments that they are very beautiful. For eg. In celebrities KAJOL, She has got a great fan following . Till date she is being liked by many ppl and that too in Bollywood she was able to make her name which is a place of only fair ppl being noticed. On the other hand there are many actresses whose complexion is very fair but are not called "BEAUTIFUL". According to me beauty lies only in one's eyes and features and the way they carry themselves. Wear Good clothes which suits u and dress up in such a way that ppl forget to notice that u r dark.
    Hope u agree with me.

6. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Of course fair is beautiful, but we are just saying that being dark is also beautiful. Beauty does not depend on color, as others say, it depends on the way you carry yourself, your smile, the way you enhance your best features, etc. A good example is Nandita Das!! JMO...

7. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

LuxSuresh & IndhuSanskriti , I would like to disagree with you is "Fair is beautiful".

To answer the hypothetical qn, If Aishwarya is dark and not beautiful , she would not have been Ms World.If she had been dark and beautiful , she would definitely be Ms world.I wonder what kind of audience would have been there who were silent.I just cannot believe it.
    The most beautiful women on earth till date Cleopatra was dark.It is just that inbetween a lot of changes happened to make the people feel inferior and capture the land and it still continues.And the funny thing is some people tried to prove that Cleopatra is a white.

Luxsuresh , This is a common problem in these ME countries it seems.Again you know how much this place in dominated by whites.We cannot change the mindset of others.What we should do is bring up our kids to fight it out.My daughter had the same issue.She did not have any issue when she was moving around with her Brit,french or Italian friends.But when she joined Indian school , she had the problem.But her teacher was very nice and she told her that she looks like the most beautiful princess Cleopatra and she need not worry about anything.My daughter fairs well in studies and this particular friend of hers was pretty jealous about it.And there this color thing started very strongly.And you know all this at the age of 4 & 5.And what I have concluded is this color thing comes from only one sect predominantly.Even as kids they are trained that way.You can observe this ,Luxsuresh.

This is what I taught my kid.All colors are good.Gave live examples in TV and Internet on how people shine immaterial of color.Show them the whites too.Do not overstress the color thing.Take it cool.If you are overstressed on this you would stress your kid as well.I used to tell her that I asked god for the most cutest , brilliant (I always include brilliance to everything as I am obsessed with that :biglaugh:bonk:hide:)daughter and god sent you to me.Compliment her genuinely.Dress appropriately for the kids.My daughter could overcome this easily with few months.She now does not care.When the same friend of hers tells that she is not fair(it still continues) , she asks her how does it matter to her.

Kids are kids.But I am sure these kids will not know about the color thing if their parents are straight.

8. bhuvnidhi

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Can you clarify what exactly you mean by that?

10. bhuvnidhi

Spidey , I do not want to get in to details and controversy.Staying here I am sure LS can observe and know what I meant.It is a open thingy also here.