That Stupid Fairness Cream

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chinni86, May 10, 2011.

1. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Sure. Although it might invoke a lot of negative reaction by the users, but even creating a little doubt in their mind about the ingredients that go into making the cream is a battle half won.

How do we put in a request?

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

3. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

SRK sold his soul to the devil a while back anyway.

We need to bonk his head with the hammer. And he's not some low life actor. He's THE biggest actor (Second to Thalaivar, ofcourse) and he has a billion people worshipping him.

When idols succumb to the temptation of money, minions obviously will follow suit.

4. Kamala08

Kamala08 New IL'ite

I don't know how to put that request. I am still "New" to IL! : )

Concerns about creating negative reactions? Well...our protest is not against any individual or anyone's preference for a particular skin tone. What we are protesting is using skin color to create some kind of hierarchy to judge people. Our protest is against the fairness cream ads and their exploitation (and fueling) of the existing insecurites in our society. Our protest in not aimed at any individual or corporation. We are merely attempting to create awareness among people on this issue.

I think if we want this protest to be successful - We should first agree NOT to make (posts or blogs) personal. We should approach it with our minds rather than our feelings.

K

5. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

I am "new" too.

I wholly agree with you about not making this personal. It was unfortunate as to where this thread headed in the beginning.

Does anybody on here know how to put in a request for a new Sub-Forum?

6. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Okay, so turns out it's a very simple process.

There's a forum to request a sub forum to the IL Admin.

But there might be a wait list.

7. meghasharma84

meghasharma84 Senior IL'ite

SRK is just a model for the product, it doesn't mean that he actually thinks that only fair skin is good! Do we believe him when he beat 10 people alone or drives car at 120 km/hr on Mumbai roads? This is their profession.

In reality, he is himself isn't fair and neither are his wife and kids. So I don't think we need to be worried about him.

According to me, fairness creams are not a problem, but the mentality of our society. Even if there are not fairness creams, this mentality won't go away.. :rant

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Usually there is not a subforum for every topic. This is a topic like many other ones. There are plenty of subforums already where this topic will fit. And we usually have threads for a topic. This thread you created right here is one and can be used for discussion.

Regarding the "unfortunate to where it was headed in beginning" - pls. realize that it was as a result of some things you wrote in the OP as well. We need not rehash all of that again, but since I sensed a sort of victim card in the "unfortunate as to where it was headed" phrase mentioned above - I wanted to bring a perspective of why it was headed that way.

Back to topic now.

9. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Little drops of water make an ocean.

Since there has already been a discussion, the goal is to now work on the discussion and spread the idea that society's thoughts about using these products need to change. It's not about an individual or a conglomerate. It's about us being affected by these and raising our voices to either put an end to it or atleast make people aware of it.

There is a possibility that we'll be rebuffed and asked to mind our own business and let people do as they please. But we are talking about an issue that's been beaten a lot and a thought that's been passed on for generations.

Megha, I agree it's the mindset that needs to change. But it's also about informing people that they are being taken for a ride by these corporations.

10. Kamala08

Kamala08 New IL'ite

Shanvy - Thank you for the link! Hilarious!!!! :rotfl

Now coming back to plan of action - This thread might serve as a good place for brainstorming...but won't serve the purpose in the long run. We need a place where we can collect blogs, articles, polls (perhaps create some) and have outreach tools. It will be nice if something constructive comes out from all this discussion. Otherwise we will be reading a similar thread in a few months.

Any ideas?