That Stupid Fairness Cream

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chinni86, May 10, 2011.

1. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

This topic is totally unrelated to weight loss and food. I just need to vent my anger out towards women who use these fairness creams thinking it'll make them fairer!

So I was on the beauty thread looking for tips to clean my face at home without having to use chemicals. And I come across a whole fricking thread on Fair and Lovely.

I cannot believe that women use fairness creams in this day and age? I do not understand the obsession that Indians on the whole have with fairness! I grew up in India and was constantly teased for being dark. But I love my color. Atleast I don't have to sit under the sun in a bikini and wait for hours to tan? I have people here asking me and telling me how beautiful my color is and how much they want it.

But people still care about fairness? I have this friend. She's gorgeous as gorgeous can be. But, she's a little on the darker side. Her husband is "fairer" than she is. She constantly was taunted by her MIL about being "karuppu" (black) compared to her son! It's a different story that the MIL was fair but PIG ugly. Her husband didn't care who was fair. He loved her for being beautiful, outside and inside! Why are we still in the mindset that white is beautiful?

Learn to love yourselves and accept who you are!! It's not what outside that matters, it's how fair and clean your heart and mind are!!

2. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

I agree with you, when i was in India i saw a lot of advert about it but when u saw Asin or other famous actor or actresse who were doing the advert, we simple mind would think i just want to be like her and buy the product.

people should think.....

bye

3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Chinni86,

You are absolutely right. I live here more than 30 years. People stop me and give me compliments for my skin color. Then my niece came to visit me. She is not fair according to our standard. They always put her down. She wa sso happy to see that people appreciate our skin color. One lady even told her that she is jealous about our color skin.

But back home, we are opposed with the color.FAIR!!! Even in this site, when people write about a girl, they always mention that girl is so pretty and have a nice color. What ai s a nice color in our country. FAIR/WHITE.

I heard other developing countries are like that too. ( It is not polite to say third world countries anymore).

Time for us to ignore these creams and be hapy and proud of our skin color.

CL

4. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Chinni86 , It is a sad fact that whichever country was colonialised by the Brits has this obsession for "fair" color.But I believe in the fact that "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent".If the dark people have inferiority complex, obviously the others will take mileage out of it.

Who came up with this funda that fair is beautiful?Tell me honestly.Did'nt we think that being thin(not slim) look like as if we are diseased?And this outlook was changed by the influence of ADs , globalisation(???) and so and so right?And a lot of TVs(like the fashion TVs) claim also that being thin is beautiful.I would say that beauty is what you see.Thatz it.For some being fair is beautiful.And it is very unfortunate to see that dark girls themselves feel inferior and try all beauty products to look fair..Noone can change this unless we feel proud for what we are.

5. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

There is a saying in Hindi
    "Angrez chale gaye, apne aulaad ko chod ke" (The Brits left leaving behind their children, meaning their idiosyncrasies)

I actually agree with you. One has to be comfortable in their skin. Being thin(skinny) is not beautiful. Even on this forum, I rarely see anyone say "I want to be healthy and fit". I only see "I want to lose weight and be thin". Being fair doesn't mean it's beautiful.

It's up to us to realize what we actually are. And it's a shame if we don't see who we are, but want to make sure we live up to others standards. It's our attitudes we need to change.

PS: I just needed to vent my anger about that topic. It's not personal or intended to harm anybody. I grew up with aunts using Fair And Lovely in a bid to become "fair", without realizing it's full of bleach and chemicals and now they look wrinkled. And it's just made me sick.

6. Anarkali10

Anarkali10 New IL'ite

I completely agree with you, Chinni. The obsession of Indian people over fair skin is beyond me. I see so many ads on tv for fair skin products. It's so silly that some of the well known celebrities endorse these products. It does not matter how fair one is or how thick one is. Everyone is beautiful in their own way. I love my skin color, I love how i don't have to risk getting skin diseases by getting tanned.

Whenever I go to India, people keep saying to me is oh wow you keep becoming darker every year. I love the "oh what happened to your face" comment. I want to punch everyone that says that to me (I just end up biting my tongue and count 1 to 10).

I wish people get over these stupid thought process where fair skin=beautiful. and Honestly I don't think those products ever work. We are what we are. We just end up putting chemicals on your face for no reason. Hopefully one day people will get beyond dark and fair.

7. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Oh that's my favorite comment when I go back to India.

"Yenna di, evlo karruppaayirkai nee!!!" (Oh dear, you've turned dark!)

Ofcourse, I have turned dark. I frickin' live in California where humidity is zero and the sun is so strong that getting out of the house without sunscreen and sunglasses is next to impossible!

That and "You have gained so much weight!" I have never been subjected to the weight gain comment. I have managed to remain the same weight after moving here. But I hear friends complaining and to me, they seem normal. I mean, these people haven't seen what the US is like and how people are here ;-P

8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

An observation Chinni... arent u biased as well...calling some one PIG ugly...by whose standards may I ask?

9. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Yes, I accept I am biased when it comes to someone being ill treated by another who thinks himself superior.

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I agree with JAG.

Chinni - you are right about Color obsession is wrong. But calling someone pig ugly is wrong as well. Who are we to call someone else's mom as ugly? - be it based on color or their looks?

The MIL was wrong - No question about it.
    But two wrongs dont make a right - that just means MIL is wrong and you are wrong too chinni. Anyway I do not know if you have the balance to see the point JAG and I mentioned. If you can see that - kudos to you.

I know you are angry with the MIL chinni - but it helps to not do similar mistake that the MIL did (putting down someone's looks). Take it or leave it, upto you.

PS:
    On a lighter note: Pigs aren't all ugly! :) They can be cute too :)
    [​IMG]