1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Why not try these Instant Pot Recipes from our Community?
    Dismiss Notice

That One Book..

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Shanvy, Feb 5, 2017.

1. jennycee

jennycee Senior IL'ite

2. jennycee

jennycee Senior IL'ite

I too enjoy watching The Lion King, both 1 & 2. The dialogue has some meaningful quotes. Do watch Cinderella as well, the movie.

beautifullife30 likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A town like Alice - Nevil Shute. The first novel I read courtesy of a neighbor. I still love this book. Haven't bought a copy for myself yet! I have to ask for valentine's!

4. Eyelevelpad

Eyelevelpad New IL'ite

"My experiments with truth" Gandhi's autobiography. Its scintillating to read about someone we knew yet not so thoroughly. Choose only one book? thats really tough....We enjoy different books at different ages....currently, "I am That" or Osho's innumerable topics and more philosophy books interest me. Earlier it was non-fiction like Outliers and even earlier than that, it was Somerset Maugham and the likes, even earlier, was balakumaran, sujatha, thi.ja, ambai....at some point everything loses its value in our own perspective, when you start diving within....

stayblessed likes this.
  5. jennycee

jennycee Senior IL'ite

Yes, I did enjoy A town Like Alice written by Nevil Schute, I have read most of his novels. When I was in school in the 1960s we had one in our curriculum The Pied Piper, after that I was 'hung' on his novels. Also read The Chequered Board, a touching story of a man who was dying of some illness and travelled around meeting his friends to see if he could help them in any way he could, also read What Happened to the Corbertts. Strangely, it is hard to come across his books now, another good author, Duncan Kyle.
    My present reading is mostly historical . Keeping the Jewel in the Crown, The Last Nizam, the Last King in India, Voices of the Great War (letters from soldiers who fought in WW1 & 2), The Secret Diary of Kasturba.

Laks09, beautifullife30 and Amica like this.
  6. stayblessed

stayblessed Silver IL'ite

My choice would be Ponniyin selvan by Amarar Kalki in Tamil and Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts in English. If it has to be strictly one book irrespective of the languages then it would be Ponniyin selvan.

Amica and rossie like this.
  7. Srama

Srama IL Hall of Fame

Dear shan, @Shanvy ....so so sweet of you to think of me. You do know me :) I have to confess, That one book has been "Illusions" for the last 25 years at least! I went and got myself another copy just last week! Crazy how it is all tuckd away at different places.

I hope to be a regular on this thread...it is growing by leaps and bounds like it should and I am kind of angry that I can spend only so much time. But I promise, I will peep - such a lovely thread to miss out on? No way! Thanks for starting.

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Bronze IL'ite

Oliver twist of Charles Dickens & a story titled THE NIGHT AT THE HOTEL by SIEGFRIED LENZ a German writer

9. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Bronze IL'ite

OLIVER TWIST by Charles Dickens

10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,
    My choice of one book is Pied piper of Neville Shute and Class by Erich Segal.....difficult to choose between the two.
    Class I read my own copy, wanted to buy it. If I like one book of a particular writer I look for there books of the same writer. Of course sometimes I get disappointed. I read Love story and went on looking for there books by Erich Segal. Class I read in that sequence. It became one of my favourite books.
    But Neville shute's books came across by accident. In London I used to vidit library often....one day found Neville Shute's one book. Read 5,6 of his books in row including A Town like Alice. But Pied piper is my most favourite.
    Syamala