1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thanimai-Serial story

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Episode 1 of Thanimai-Serial story

Friends,

I am starting a serial story titled Thanimai. It is more like a story for the movie and I shall put songs from Tamil films at appropriate places. I am sure you will enjoy reading it.

Episode 1

It is late evening in New York city. The swing door in an Indian restaurant in Little India area opens to admit an Indian family of husband, wife, their cute little daughter and husband's mother. The restaurant is slowly getting filled and at this time few people are seated scattered. The family locates a table guided by the waiter.

The little girl is very friendly with people and so goes from table to table saying Hello Aunty, Hello Uncle and gives them a smile.
    The girl reaches the table at the corner where a solitary gentleman is sitting showing his back to the restaurant. The girl reaches him goes forward and says Hello Uncle. But, her smile freezes and runs back to her parents screaming. The mother asks the child what happened?. The child says,"an ugly man is sitting there and his face is scary".

The manager of the restaurant who is observing this, goes to the man and says," Sir, I have told you many times not to come here during busy hours. See, you have scared the child and you may scare people from coming to my restaurant. If you want food, you just ring me up and I will deliver it at your doorstep.". The man who has covered his face already with raised collars of his coat and hat lowered says, " I have come here not just to eat, but also to have company of people. I know my condition. So, I sit in a corner with my back to people and even this is not acceptable, I will have to change my eating place. Please convey my apologies to the child and the family". So, saying he leaves the restaurant.

The man is Gautham, who was a handsome flourishing software engineer from India with a cute family of a beautiful wife, smart five year old son living in a posh apartment in Manhatten area. He and his family enjoyed life the fullest. His family was the most sought after among the Indian society in New York. These were things of the past. Today, he is all alone walking with his head down not to show his ugly face. He waved a cab and drove to his apartment.

Entering the apartment, he broke down and started crying saying, "Oh, God what has happened to me. Why this to me?". Right at that time from the TV which he had left on while going came this song telecast by Sun TV.

New York nagaram urangum vezhai
    thanimai thanimaiyo kodumai kodumaiyo
    naangu kannadi chuvarhalukkule
    naanum mezhukuvarthiyum
    thanimai thanimaiyo kodumai kodumaiyo.

To be continued.....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007

2. Tamildownunder

Episode 2:

Gautham settled himself on the settee with his hands folded over the knees and head resting on top of it. He sat like that swallowing his sorrow even as other songs continued in the TV. After some time he slowly lifted his head and his eyes fell on the family photo kept by the side table. In the photo, he, his wife Kaveri and son Krish were smiling and closely hugging each other with Krish in the middle.

His mind went back to that fateful day when that terrible accident took place. They drove to Baltimore from New York to attend the birthday party of their family friend's child. The party went on very well and they thouroughly enjoyed the food and the company. He was at his best cracking sardarji jokes and discussing about Indian cricket among his friends. Kaveri also enjoyed by helping in the kitchen and exchanging notes on receipes and kolams with her friends. Krish was enjoying Tom and jerry cartoons along with his friends.

It was late evening when they left Baltimore for New York. In the car, both Kaveri and Krish slept off as they were tired. Gautham was at the wheel and was trying to concentrate on the drive although he too felt exhausted. The accident occurred on the free way. Their car was hit by a heavy truck from behind. The car was tossed in the air, caught fire. Next, when Gautham regained conciousness he was at the hospital heavily strapped around the face and with killing pain all over the body. How many days he spent in the hospital, he was not knowing. The doctors did their best to save him. Finally, one day when he was recovering he had the rude shocks of knowing that Kaveri has died in the accident and there was no mention of Krish. He had suffered severe burns on his face and when they showed him a mirror, he could not bear the sight of himself. His face had charred beyond recognition. Where his nose was there, there is a hole only and one of his eyes was gone.

Looking at the family photo and the smiling face of Kaveri, tears rolled down his cheeks. Right at that time Sun TV played this song.

Mannavane azhalama
    kannerai vidalama
    unnuirai naan irukka
    ennurai nee irukka

to be continued.....

3. Tamildownunder

Episode 3:

Gautham has been living a life of solitude as even his office boss told him not to come to office since the clients will not like it. But, he arranged for Gautham to do work from home so that he gets enough money to survive. Still, it is a routine for Gautham to leave the house at 9.0 in the morning, take the underground train and go upto Penn station, get mixed with the crowd there. At Penn station, he will sit on a bench and bury himself in the newspaper, lowering it periodically to observe people. Ofcourse, the people milling around him will be unaware of this since he wears coloured glasses and hat to cover most of his ugly face. After spending two to three hours like this around 12.00 noon he will go to the Indian Restaurant in the 45th street and will have lunch there and come back home to take a nap and in the evening he will go for a walk in the park nearby.

He was travelling by the underground train the other day as is his routine, when he noticed sitting opposite to him was an Indian with a very familiar face. The man in suit and tie rang several bells in Gautham's mind and suddenly it flashed to him that the man sitting opposite to him is none other than his school and college mate Ravi. Gautham got excited, got up and advanced towards him. The man who was busy listening to music from his ipod suddenly turned his head and noticing that Gautham is advancing towards him became uneasy and turned his face to avoid looking at Gautham. When he neared Ravi, Gautham told, 'Hi, Ravi enna maranthutteya ennai'. Ravi blurted, 'who are you? I don't recognise you'. Then only Gautham realised that Ravi could not have recognised him because of his face. So, Gautham introduced himself , 'Hi, I am Gautham. Remember we studied together in Sethupathi High School and Madura College together'. This brought Ravi to an excited position. He siad, 'Hey, are you Gautham, my close friend. What happened to your face man?'. Gautham sat next to him and narrated all that has happened in his life since they left college. Right at that time as a coincidence from Ravi's ipod came this song.

Antha naal gyabhagam
    vanthathe nanbane nanbane
    intha naal anru pol illaiye
    athu en nanbane nanbane

to be continued.....

4. Tamildownunder

Episode 4:

Gautham and Ravi later met in a restaurant and their conversation continued. Gautham laments that he does not want to live and has contempleted ending his life many times. He is still alive mainly with the hope that perhaps one day he could find his son who went missing from the scene of the accident. He narrated to Ravi how the police had searched for his body in the nearby areas after the accident and they were unsuccessful. Ravi assured him that he sure will find his son one day. They met few times later and Gautham came to know more about Ravi and he felt a kind of relief to find a good company in him.

Another day as his routine everyday Gautham was travelling in the underground train when next to him came and sat few Indian girls who were talking and giggling. Initially, Gautham did not show any interest. But, accidentally he saw that one of the girls was very familiar to him and he started whacking his brains to recollect. Then, in a flash he remembered the girl was none other than Gayathri who was the daughter of his next door neighbour in Mumbai. Penn station arrived and they all got out and vanished in the mingling crowds. Gautham felt a sensation of life coming back in full glory after seeing Gayathri. He did not know how time went when he sat as usual buried in newspaper. He was not able to read the paper or watch the people going past him. All his thoughts were going back to Gayathri.

Gayathri was a sweet, smart and very active girl and she used to visit gautham's house quite often. Soon she became attached to all of them in Gautham's house. She was particularly more attached to Gautham and embarass him saying,'Uncle, you look like Kamal Hassan and when I grow big I want to marry you'. So saying she will giggle loudly. She and Gautham had a game looking into each other'e eyes. The game was to look without blinking and whoever blinks first was the loser. Gautham was immersed in these thoughts in his apartment when the Sun TV played this song.

Oru deivam thantha poove
    siru oodal enna thaye
    vaazhvu thodangum idam nee thane
    kaatrai pola nee vanthaye
    swasamaka nee ninraye....

To be continued.........

5. Tamildownunder

Episode 5:

Another day, Gautham was travelling by underground train as part of his routine when Gaythri and her friend came and sat next to him. They did not notice him much since he was wearing coloured glasses, rasied coat collars and a hat hiding half his face. Gautham was excited on her arrival and their conversation made him interested. Gaythri's friend asked her whether she has any boy friend. Gaythri replied that she does not have time and inclination for that. Her friend then remarked that she is very unromantic. Gaythri denied this and said that she had fallen in love with her neighbour uncle in Mumbai who was so handsome. She further said that her memories are etched with his eyes when they used to play the staring game. Listening to all this Gautham became excited and was so happy that when the train reached Penn station he did not sit there and instead started walking. Without his knowledge since he was deeply immersed in the memories of Gayathri he had reached Times Square. To add to his delight it started snowing and he broke into a dance in the middle of the road singing

செவ்வானம் சேலைகட்டி
    சென்றது வீதியிலே
    மனம் நின்றது பாதியிலே
    என்னைக் கொன்றது பார்வையிலே

மின்சார மின்னல் வெட்டி
    சென்றது வீதியிலே
    கனல் மூண்டது கண்களிலே
    உயிர் வேகுது நெஞ்சினிலே

யாரோ அவள் யாரோ சொல்வாரில்லை
    நேரில் வந்து பேச நேரமில்லை
    கண்ணில் வந்து போனாள் கையிலில்லை

யாரோ அவள் மங்கம்மாவின் வாளை
    கையில் கொண்டு வந்தவளோ
    யாரோ அவள் கண்ணகியின் பேத்தி
    என்று மண்ணில் வந்தவளோ
    சுப்ரமண்ய பாரதியின்
    சோற்றைத் தின்று வந்தவளோ
    சந்திரனும் சூரியனும்
    கூடிப் பெற்ற பெண் இவளோ
    யாரேனும் கேட்டுச் சொல்லுங்கள்

to be continued.....

6. Tamildownunder

Episode 6:

Once Gautham started singing and dancing in the middle of Times Square with snow falling, people started gathering with interest and curiosity. One man brought a guitar from nowhere and started playing to Gautham's song. Initially, people could not bear the sight of Gautham's ugly face. But, the song and the dance attracted them more. One smart man passed his hat around and collected a sizable amount of dollars. He was fair and honest as he stowed the dollar bills in Gautham's pockets. Gautham's friend Ravi who happened to pass by, peeped inside the crowd and was startled to see gautham dancing. Suddenly the New York police appeared and the crowd disappeared. The police stopped Gautham's dance and the police officer said, 'Mr. I have to arrest you for creating public nuisance'. Ravi took the officer aside, explained to him Gautham's plight and pleaded. The police officer took pity on Gautham upon hearing his story, and let him go after warning him not to do it again. Ravi hailed a cab, pushed Gautham inside and took him to his apartment.

Right through the taxi ride, Gautham did not utter a word and he appeared dazed. Ravi also decided to leave him alone. After reaching the apartment, Ravi said, 'hey, what happened to you man, you would have landed in prison had I not come there'. Gautham spoke, 'Ravi, I met Gayathri in the train and overheard her conversation with her friend in which she rcollected her love for me. I felt floating in heavens when I heard her talking about me and that is what made me sing and dance'. Ravi said, ' Wait a minute. You have told me that this Gayathri was the small girl of your neighbours who used to come to your house and play with you. Now she might have grown up. But, do you realise the age difference and your position?. How can you entertain such thoughts?'. Gautham said, 'Ravi, I do know what you say. But, put yourself in my position. Here I am lost everything in life and I do not know what for I am living. At this time I get one big ray of hope to live through Gayathri and please don't deny me this'. So saying Gautham broke into crying. Ravi felt uneasy to be there and he left silently.

Gaythri, studying in New York University, reached her apartment which she is sharing with three other friends. The conversation she had with her friend in the train was reverbrating inside her and she felt some strange sensation thinking about Gautham. When she tuned the online radio in her computer this song came pleasing to her ears.

Anbe vaa en anbe vaa
    Oone vaa uyire vaa
    anbe vaa munbe vaa
    poopoovai poopoovai...

To be continued.....

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  7. Tamildownunder

Episode 7:

Gautham was feeling sad and was sulking in his apartment. After dancing in Times Square and came to the apartment, he was still feeling excited till Ravi's words brought him down to earth. He realised what Ravi said was true. He thought to himself,'I have no business to spoil an young girl's life. It is true that her arrival has sparked a great interest in life. What to do?'.

It was a Saturday and Gautham was just lying in bed even though it was well past mid-day. Suddenly, he heard the door bell ringing. When he went and opened the door Ravi was standing. Entering the apartment Ravi started apologising,'Gautham I should not have left ubruptly the other day, I am sorry. I have a good news for you'. Gautham got interested and asked 'What is the good news?'. Ravi told him that he met his good friend Shankar who is a doctor doing research in New York Hospital. Ravi said,'Guess what? Shankar is a plastic surgeon and he has agreed to work on your face. When I explained to him your case he siad he is confident that your face can be made alright. He will make you look half your age'. Gautham got excited and caught hold of Ravi's hands and said,' Yes. Ravi we can go right now and meet Dr.Shankar'.

Dr. Shankar is a pleasant young man and when he saw Gautham's face, he really felt shocked. He said, 'Oh, my God, your face looks like the truck has ran over your face.'. he further said,' I can certainly make your face alright and make you look like a teenager. But, I am sorry to say that you will lose your identity in the process'. Gautham agreed to Shankar's treatment and felt elated at the prospect of looking very young. Right at that time Sun TV played this song.

Ulakam piranthathu enakkaka
    Odum nathikalum enakkaka
    Malarkal malarvathu enakkaka
    Annai madiyai virithal enakkaka.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  8. Tamildownunder

Episode 8:

Dr. Shankar explained to Gautham that the surgery he will be doing is called laser resurfacing in which the old layers of skin will be burnt with laser and it will produce a new surface over which new skin can grow. Dr. Shankar did a methodical surgery and at the end when Gautham saw his face he could not recognise himself. Ofcourse, he was given instructions not to go in sun for some time and not to use cosmetics on the face till the new skin growth gets settled.

When Ravi met Gautham after he was discharged and was pleasantly surprised to see the total change in Gautham's looks. He raised a doubt to Gautham that Gayathri will not recognise him now. Gautham told ,'yes, she cannot recognise my face. But, she will recognise my eyes if she looks at them'. Ravi laughed and said,' She is a very shy girl and may not even take a look at you, let alone look deeply into your eyes'.

It happened suddenly one day when Gautham who had recovered and was free to go outside was travelling by underground train to his office when Gayathri and her friend came and sat in the opposite seats. Gaythri's note book slipped and fell down and she bent to pick it up and at the same time involuntarily Gautham also bent. Their eyes met and Gaythri looked mesmarised. After what looked like ages to both of them Gayathri recovered her note book and sat. She was nervous and refused to look in the direction of Gautham. She realised that theses were the eyes which used to captivate her with her neighbour uncle in Mumbai.

Returning back to her apartment and still in a dazed manner she tuned the online radio in her comp. from where the following song came.

Kannum Kannum pesiyathu unnalanro
    Inba kathalisai paadiyathum neeye anro
    Penn manathil etri vaitha deepam allava
    Oli pirakkum munne anaithal paavam allava

To be continued....

9. Tamildownunder

Episode 9:

Gautham's life had totally changed. A spring in his steps had come and he started going to places in New York which he was avoiding after the accident. He went to Jackson Heights also called Little India of New York. He used to buy his groceries there. Walking towards the grocery shop, his attention was caught suddenly when he saw a boy walking along with a black lady. He got excited as he was sure it was Krish. They were walking on the other side of the road. Gautham in his excitement started crossing the road running in the middle of the traffic bringing several vehicles to swerve and some to screeching halt. He had created a pandemonium. Gautham managed to reach the other side and ran shouting.'Krish, Krish'. He caught hold of them and knelt in front of Krish and started crying,'Oh, krish where were you all these days?'. But, krish was staring at him strangely and blinked. The black lady started shouting at Gautham,'Hey, mister what are you doing to my boy?'. Gautham told her 'I am his dad'. The black lady started laughing and said, 'You look like a teenager, how can you be the dad of this boy'. Suddenly she got angry and siad,'I know, you want to kidnap this boy. If you don't run off from here I will call the police'. But, Gautham was baffled at the non-recognition of him by Krish and the black lady catching Krish's hand mingled in the crowd and vanished. Gautham was slowly gathering himself when a black gentleman accosted him.

The black gentleman introduced himself as Roberts and told Gautham that the boy is an Indian boy who the couple found on the freeway lying next to a car. The couple found Gautham and Kaveri in the car and thought they were dead. Since the boy was still alive, they rushed him to a nearby hospital. In the hurry, they forgot to note the car number and they were confused about the place of the accident. Since they were childless, they decided to adopt the boy. Lisa, Robert's wife was very much attached to the boy who thy had named as Chris. Roberts caught hold of Gautham's hand and pleaded that he should not take away the boy from them. He also gave a shocking news to Gautham that the boy had lost his memory and speech in the accident. Gautham then realised why Krish was blinking. First, Gautham himself had changed in identity with plastic surgery and Krish had lost his memory.

Feeling highly depressed without buying grocery Gautham returned to his apartment and switched on the TV when Sun TV played this song.

காற்றின் மொழி ஒலியா இசையா
    பூவின் மொழி நிறமா மணமா
    கடலின் மொழி அலையா நுரையா
    காதல் மொழி விழியா இதழா

இயற்கையின் மொழிகள் புரிந்து விடில்
    மனிதரின் மொழிகள் தேவையில்லை
    இதயத்தின் மொழிகள் புரிந்துவிடில்
    மனிதருக்கு மொழியே தேவையில்லை

to be continued......

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  10. Tamildownunder

Episode 10:

Few days later, Ravi visited Gautham in his apartment. When Gautham narrated how he met Krish and found him to have lost the memory and not able to speak due to the accident and now living with his black foster parents, Ravi was shocked. Both of them sat silently for a long time drowned in the gravity of the situaution. Finally, ravi broke the silence telling that he has an idea. His idea was to somehow convince Roberts and his wife and bring Krish home. He felt that after seeing the old photos and talking to him of the olden days might help to bring his memory back. As for Krish's speech, he said that there are expert speech therapists who can get back his speech. This encouraged Gautham and he found a ray of hope as he thanked Ravi profusely.

They had tough time convincing Mrs. Roberts that Krish actually is the son of Gautham. Luckily, they had tken few old photos showing Gautham and Krish together and Ravi explained to Mrs. Roberts how Gautham had his face disfigured in the accident and how Dr. Shankar had done a special laser surgery to remove the charred skin and grafted the broken nose etc. resulting in Gautham having a changed identity. In the end, Mrs. Roberts reluctantly agreed to Gautham taking Krish home.

Reaching home, Ravi left Gautham and Krish together and went back to his apartment. Krish was silent throughout. He looked dazed. Gautham showed him the old photos and talkedto him continously looking for any change in expression on Krish's face. Krish blinked all thorugh, but suddenly started crying. Gautham was non-plussed. Not knowing what to do, he rang up for Mrs. Roberts and requested her to come. After seeing her, Krish stopped crying and went and hugged her. Mrs. Roberts started scolding Gautham of harassing the child and took Krish with her. Heart-broken, Gautham was sitting on the couch when the continuously running Sun TV played this song.

நான் பெற்ற செல்வம்
    நலமான செல்வம்
    தேன் மொழி பேசிடும்
    சிங்காரச் செல்வம்

தொட்டால் மணக்கும் ஜவ்வாது
    சுவைத்தால் இனிக்கும் தேன் பாகு
    எட்ட இருந்தே நினைத்தாலும்
    இனிக்கும் மணக்கும் உன் உருவம்
    நீ நான் பெற்ற செல்வம்

To be continued.....