Thali -changing the thread reg.

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by BJK, Jul 14, 2010.

1. BJK

BJK New IL'ite

dear chithra mam
    i would like to know which are the good days to change the thali thread to new thread or gold chain. i eralier wear the thali in gold chain. two months before my chain broken and suddenly i wear the thali with a thread. Now I want to replace the thread with gold chain. kindly advice in this regard.
    with love
    bjk

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

BJK, since no one responded, I guess I can share what I keep doing. I have a gold chain for my thali but the actual sutra's are tied on with a yellow thread. So, I nede to change that every couple of months so that the yellow thread doesn't break. I do it on a Saturday after taking head-bath. Make sure its not-that-time-of-the-month for you and you are good to go. The old yellow threads, I bury near my Tulsi plant.
    I am not sure if its the right way to do, but I had been doing this since 3 years (from the time I got married).

3. BJK

BJK New IL'ite

dear rakhii
    thank you very much for sharing your suggestion.
    regards
    BJK

4. P45857

P45857 New IL'ite

hai
    I am new to this site but i have a query to make. I want to switch over from yellow thread to gold chain but I want to wear the yellow thread also for the joining portion. Can I cut the length of the usual thread to a small length. Is it ok.Please advise me.
    p45857

5. MrsNavaneeth

MrsNavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hi P45857,

Welcome to Indusladies. While using gold chain, it is always considered auspicious to have the Thali and other thali accessories in yellow thread. We are not supposed to cut that thread. Instead plait it in both the ends where it joins the gold chain. This will shorten the length of the thread.

Also while changing the thread, we should not cut it. Maximum try using your finger nails to remove the knot. You can place this used thread on a neem tree.

6. P45857

P45857 New IL'ite

thank you mam. Even I had the doubt that we should not cut the thread, but again plaiting the long thread also will be cumbersome isn't it

7. madraskrishnan

madraskrishnan Junior IL'ite

Hello everybody

I do agree with p45857. I was also told by mum as not to cut it and to plait it. But it becomes too knotty and bulges under most of the modern outfits. So when my mom saw the practical difficulty she said it is ok to snip it a bit. So now i snip it after the knots.

8. Shakthisree

Shakthisree New IL'ite

Hi
    I changed my thali kayiru facing south west direction
    Can someone pls tell me what should I do now
    Can I change it again

9. Mrsbalaji

Mrsbalaji New IL'ite

Hello All,
    Newbie to this group. I wear my thali in a chain but the end is with manjal kayiru. I change it once a year. My query is whether i can add lakshmi kaasu to my kayiru. As per my mother in law's instructions i have worn only my thali(with two small gundu). But somehow i feel it looks very incomplete without lakshmi kaasu. We belong to yadava community and i have not seen any of my relatives wear only thali. Pls pour ur suggestions.

Thanks
    Mrs.Balaji

10. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Old thread but I felt the reply may help others too.
    It's really good to add Lakshmi kaasu to the thaali chain.
    Infact many now a days give lakshmi kasu or buy lakshmi kasu during. Varalakshmi vratam and wear it in neck or give it as tamboolam to married women and later they add it to their thaali chain.