1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tell Me About Yourself....

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Nov 10, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

‘Shall I send the next candidate?’ Rina asked. Though Rina’s face displayed a smile, she was irritated. First of all she had a long week in office to prepare for this weekend drive and second one was Rahul didn’t even select one out of the 15 candidates he has interviewed so far. She wondered what’s wrong as other interview panels didn’t face the problem.

‘I’m taking a coffee break.’ Rahul jumped out of chair and went towards the cafeteria.

When he returned back to interview room Rina’s boss , Manish was waiting for him.

‘What’s wrong Rahul? None of the fifteen candidates are impressive is it?’ he asked and continued in the lines of no candidate will be a hundred percent match with the job profile.

‘Okay. I’ll select the next candidate you are sending in to make you happy.’ Rahul chuckled.

‘No I didn’t mean that. Even if candidate is 70-80% match to the profile just select. We can always train them.’

‘I’m just looking for a truthful candidate. I don’t care about profile match.’ Rahul told as Manish handed over the next bunch of resumes.

Rahul wasn’t even looking for profile match, but was looking for real candidates. All of them he had interviewed so far had prepared themselves from interview preparation sites for questions like Tell me about yourself but stumbled when Rahul asked something different.

Rahul who desperately wanted to select a candidate now asked some of the traditional questions but still his 16th and 17th candidates were not satisfactory. Tina’s smiling face now showed some visible irritation.

‘Can I come In?’ asked the next candidate. Rahul looked up to see the candidate face.

‘I’m Deepak.’ His hand shake was bold. He has dressed well and had a pleasant smile.

‘Why are you looking for a job change now?’ was the first question Rahul asked and prayed that answer should not be career growth or challenging opportunities. If that was the case this candidate will also be in the rejected list.

‘I’m struck up with a very bad boss at the moment that really makes me think Hitler was a better person. Don’t ask me about moving to another role in the company as it cannot happen before he releases me from team.’ He went on about his boss for two minutes.

He apparently didn’t go through what job sites suggest as better answer for this, Rahul thought himself. Job sites would have rated him on the scale of -2 where in Rahul gave him 10 for his truthfulness.

‘Okay. Why have you chosen this company?’ he asked in a serious tone.

‘I applied for all openings matching my profile in job portal and I got call letter only from your company.’

Rahul took a minute to go through Deepak’s profile. He had the right qualifications and relevant experience for the role they were seeking at.

‘You have only three years of experience. How can we be sure you won’t leave our company in three years?’ Rahul asked trying to get a ready-made answer for this.

‘If the situation is not right I might not even wait till three years. I see no pointing in working in a place where I’m not happy.’ Was the reply Rahul got.

‘Are you always like this? ‘ Rahul asked with a twinkle. Deepak laughed and Rahul who asked him some more questions ended up selecting him.

Two months later….

Rina came along with Deepak and re-introduced to Rahul ‘Rahul, Deepak has joined us today. You remember him from the interview right?’

‘Oh Yes. Welcome Deepak. I was looking forward to have you in the team.’ Rahul said sounding pleased.

Six Months later…..

Deepak entered the interview cabin. Interviewer looked at his resume and asked ‘You joined the last company only four months before why are you searching for a job now?’

Deepak wanted to say ,’That’s because I told truth in last interview, my boss actually believed I do it every day. My friend dared me to give these kinds of answers in interview. It’s easy to lie in interview but pretty difficult to keep up the lie.’

Instead Deepak said ‘ Though this company is extremely professional , I don’t fit their work culture…..’

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Very well written as always!

3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Thank You