1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teddy Bear and Doll Marriages

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by manchitra, Aug 9, 2009.

1. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

[justify]I am back; just to share a few of my thoughts. Yesterday I was having a discussion with my friends about toys and about the Teddy bear, the soft cuddly ones which kids enjoy. My friend had bought a teddy for her daughter and our discussion became very lively. I felt happy discussing this as I believe there is a kid inside every body however big or mature we are.

This set me off into a reminiscent mood and I did travel a few years down my memory lane where I enjoyed playing with my siblings and friends. When I narrate this many of you will also be transported to your young beautiful days where each one of us flew like colorful butterflies sucking the nectar of life. Life indeed was care free, is it not? If God appears before me and wants to grant me a boon I would definitely opt for a time machine so that I can sail to my child hood when ever I wish. My dear friends if you wish, you too can join and jump aboard to have fun and frolic.:)

I enjoyed a lot as a kid as I had the great advantage of growing up in a joint family. Totally there were 9 children in the house and during vacation the house would be buzzing like a bee’s nest when our cousins also poured in to spend the holidays. The house was big enough to accommodate a lot of people. And I do wonder what tough time my mom and aunt would have had managing the house, controlling the little monkeys, cooking, feeding, wow! Can’t even imagine such a situation these days where we have fallen into a nuclear family system where we hardly find time for one another.

By the end of the day after dinner we would be all tucked into bed, all girls in one hall and boys occupying the other. Fights were frequent between the boys and girls’ team as our interests in games differed. We settled for softer games and they would opt for rough and tough games sometimes ending up in quarrels and fights.

The play started everyday after the breakfast was over and all the girls would huddle under the coconut trees and we set up our house on the Tulsi Madam (platform) below a tree.

We had a set of cooking utensils which we got as a gift from my father when he visited Tirupathi. Many of you would have played or seen it. If not let me explain. They were made of wood smooth and safe and toxin free made colorful with vegetable colour dyes and we had stove, ladles, spoons, the conventional flour maker (yantra), chapatti board, few plates and a pot to fetch water. I wonder where that kind of toys have gone? If at all they are available they are pretty costly. I feel the steel kitchen sets what are available today are no match for what we had. My mother or aunt will readily help us with some rice and one or two vegetables so that we would be engaged and away from their feet. In between we would be called for snacks and that too we added to our kitchen supply. We took turns in playing the role of father and mother; father would wear a dhoti and mother would wear a sari, a small piece of cloth or a towel was all that we used for the same. The very young ones in the group would be always kids. Then the usual routine father going out for work, mother cooking and feeding children. I vividly remember making papads for lunch. There was a kind of round leaf and that we used to prick with a stick, God knows for what and they were our make believe papads. In between we would have attacks from our boys’ team, they would come and destroy all the set up and would make away with the snacks and girls would end up screaming which would require elders’ intervention.

We particularly enjoyed one game that was dolls marriage. We had two wooden dolls, made of red sanders (again from Tirupati) a boy and a girl in our house about 1 foot long. My aunt made costumes for them with little bits of silk she had and our dolls became bright and colorful. They had really good features and we would play the wedding ceremony. First there would be two teams, groom’s side and the bride’s side. The Tulsi platform will become the mandapam which would be decorated with colorful paper and leaves. The marriage ceremony would be enacted like bringing the bride to the mandapam, tying the thali, going around the homam etc. What ever we knew we performed. After the wedding over the bride’s party had no more role to play so all would join and become one single groom’s party as the ceremonies would continue in the groom’s house. What jolly good days those were. As I write this blog I am enjoying my childhood visualizing the same. I also wonder whether experiences like this would ever be substituted by the costly teddies, electronic toys and Barbie dolls we buy for our children these days. I feel the young kids these days are missing a lot because we have learnt a lot of lessons about life by being together.

I would still like to spend some time in the past as a kid but I have to get out of my reverie as life has to move on. Please share some of your experiences with me. I am all ears.

Adieu![/justify]

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hi Chitra - Very sweet write up. Yes the kitchen sets of those days are the most beautiful ones. Talking of those days, I remember playing with my cousins some silly meaningless games too and that kept us all occupied the entire day. I still cant imagine how we managed to do that. One of the funny games is that we all used to imagine ourselves travelling in a bus, by sitting one behind the other on the compound wall at my grandmothers place. Tickets used to be the fallen jackfruit leaves. Hilarious things was, just as how the bus (esp KSRTC) turns and goes fast and people standing keep swaying, we had to follow that too...the person who acts as the bus conductor gets to do that. If he/she manages to fall off the wall, another person takes over..........this goes on ALL DAY !!

3. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

hi chithra
    Read your blog .Like u am also back to those childhood days .Unlike from yours our main game was to construct a house our own.During the first attempt we managed to construct one using those bricks stacked on four sides and a polythene sheet left (all remains from our home construction).Then by evening we converted it to a temple,placed a stone with flowers and lit a manchirathu (which was stolen from karthika deepam collection).It was then amma and aunt saw us and they were very angry with us because they said this invites Dosham.

And kn2s v also played the same game of bus and also boat .Gone are all those days.....

Anyway thanks for the flash back I never thought I remembered these things so correctly

thank you
    Meenu

4. ashwinishenoy81

ashwinishenoy81 New IL'ite

I think every generation has their own rules of play. The toys of today teach lessons which are practical for today's times. The lessons a child of today has to learn is totally different from the lessons of yesteryears.

It was a lovely picture that you depicted. I too loved my kitchen set. But the dolls were all plastic. :)

5. Sheebavinod

Sheebavinod Gold IL'ite

Chitra,

Wow, you just helped me go back in time and relive those childhood days. Even i used to play with kitchen utensils ,when i used to go to kerala for vacation, i used to make appam, dosa with the mud and would make stove with three stones and cook. The pappad ritual is just the same like yours.:)
    When my cousins brothers were young, i made them dress as groom and bride, and we had a ceremony.All elders were guests and they participated and helped to make our play look like a real one.
    what beautiful days....

6. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

Hi Knot 2 share

Very happy to see your comment and my post could you take to those happy child hood days. We played train instead of bus and the person in front was the engine had to make the chuk ..chuk sound. really wonderful days.

7. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

Thanks Meenu for stopping by to make the comment . We did play temple festivals what we call as aaratu but never built a temple like you mentioned. one can always sit back and think about the good old days.:)

8. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

Dear ashwini

Rules are only set by groups.so it may differ from group to group and generation to generation.There could be some groups in the new generations' following the older generations' rule and some in the old generation who follow the present generations' rule.So we cannot generalise it.It depends on the environment one is brought up.
    As far as lessons are concerned I don't think there had been drastic changes even now as the people of those times had similar changes in their time.
    thanks for putting your perspective of the current generation.

9. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

So happy to see the response from you. Thank you so much because your initiative on the teddy bears prompted me to write this post.

10. malinijamaica

malinijamaica Senior IL'ite

Very sweet write up.................when i was a kid i remember playing with kitchen toys with my neighbors kitchen sets...........but, when i got married & was moving abroad to join my husband i bought some kitchen utensils as small & cute to cook for two..........i was crazy abt those vessels that i showed it everyone whoever visited our house..........it was like a girl kid excited about her kitchen toys.........now that i can afford i have lts of soft toys which my parents could not afford to get me due to their financial condition.................i hate to share my dolls with any one..........chithra, your write up took me along the lane of memories which i would love to cherish all through my life - MY CHILDHOOD.
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Malini