Technology for You and Me - New Column at IndusLadies

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gjanani, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjanani

gjanani New IL'ite

Hi all,

I’ll be meeting you with a ‘Technology for You and Me’ article, with interesting information from the world of science and technology. What would we talk about in a technology column? Here’s what I have in mind…

Technologies which are revolutionizing appliances. For example, fuzzy logic is a technology that is giving your washing machines and microwave ovens the sixth sense.
    • Latest trends in gadgets. What should you lookout for when buying a laptop computer? Should you consider buying an iPod instead of a traditional portable mp3/ disk player?
    • Interesting websites and online resources. WhatIs.com; HowStuffWorks.com; Wikipedia; Merriam Webster’s Online Dictionary. These and more online destinations can help answer the hundreds of questions that arise in our minds every day.
    • How to use technology more effectively. For example, how to search effectively on Google, how to browse and chat safely on the Internet, how to use a webcam while chatting so your relatives across the globe can see you while you talk to them, and so on.
    • Drawing a line, and saying enough to technology at a certain stage. There are some technologies, including the cell phone, where over-exposure can cause harm.
    • And finally cutting edge research happening at labs around the globe, which will revolutionize the technologies we use some years down the line.

Please let me know if you can think of any more areas that may interest you, so I can strive to meet your expectations.

Will be back soon with some technology gyan [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Janani Gopalakrishnan

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008

2. kavya

kavya Bronze IL'ite

More context

Hello Ladies,

A little more context to Janani's post. Based on our request, she has gracefully agreed to write a monthly column called "Technology for you and me" in our articles section. Interested in bringing content that best interests her readers, she is requesting feedback on what you all would like to see in her column. I hope that many members of this community will provide her with valuable suggestions. Thank you.

Kavya

3. bharthi

bharthi Junior IL'ite

Great!

That sounds very interesting Janani.

If you can help make technology (products, services and software) accessible to ordinary ladies without making it too complicated, then it would be a big win. Please tell me the 20% that will enable me to get 80% benefit out of a technology. If I am excited about the technology, I will self learn the rest.

Some of the areas that you have mentioned like chatting safely, searching the internet effectively are interesting topics. Would love to get help on those every day topics.

You can introduce us to some software that makes our lives a little easier e.g. many of us use camcorders, but I have no idea how to edit the unwanted portion and burn the rest in a CD!

Look forward to reading your columns...

Bharthi

4. gjanani

gjanani New IL'ite

Thanks for your suggestion

Hi Bharthi,

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Have made note of them.

Regards,

Janani

5. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Episode 1 - Making the most of Google Search

Making the most of Google Search
    - by Janani Gopalakrishnan

Internet Search Engines the most familiar term in today's Internet World. To search for anything and everything in the Internet the first place we go to is a search engine - Google being a popular choice. The search results may throw up zillions of web pages on the subject, but are all these relevant to your search? This depends on how well you have mastered the art of ‘searching’.

Do you want to know how to search the Internet better? Interested in mastering Google Search?
    Read about it here ...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  6. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Episode 2 - Pigeon mail or Email, Only Effective Mails Beget Replies

Pigeon mail or Email, Only Effective Mails Beget Replies

Gracious ladies of IL,

You are all aware of the social etiquette and table manners. But have you thought that there is email ettiquette too?

Come let us discover what this is all about. Janani has got lots of information to tell us as how to write and send mails effectively.

Remember your English class about the art of letter writing. The concept is extended to accomodate the modern technology.

How to address people in mail? How to start and end a mail? How lengthy or rather how short it should be? When to CC the mail?

Yes, all answers to your above queries are here...

7. Laxmi

Episode 3 - Your child could be at danger over the Internet

Your child could be at danger over the Interent

We as an educated Moms want to give the best possible things in the world to our kids.
    So are we justified in allowing them to browse the Interent if only the Encyclopedia sites and other educational web sites. It becomes inevitable as they need the much talked about information through the Internet.
    But how can we protect our children from the evil clutches of dirty web sites and how to educate our children to browse only the informative and educative web sites.
    Well Janani has replies for all the above here...

8. Laxmi

Episode 4 - "Personal Digital Assistant - A Tech Tool Worth Possessing"

Personal Digital Assistant - A Tech Tool Worth Possessing

Janani is meetilg all of us ILites this month with info about PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)

Well wondering what this is all about, then click this link here to read the article.

Or, are u tech savvy lady who is already in possession of this gadget then go ahead and read this article as how to make the most of it.

Janani has presented facts about how to balance career and home efficiently with the help of PDA.
    Happy reading at IL.

9. Laxmi

Episode 5 - Some "hot" online destinations

Some "hot" online destinations

Janani is meeting the ILites this month with info about some freely accessible online websites.

Well wondering what this is all about, then click this link here to read the article.

Janani has presented informations about the websites she haunt often.

Happy reading at IL.

10. Laxmi

Episode 6 - Computers: from mere machine to man's best friend!

Computers: from mere machine to man's best friend!

What does computer mean to you? – is it your companion in lull moments, is it your link to your motherland, is it a friend which helps you with almost everything from deciding the night’s dinner menu to children’s school projects, or is it merely a machine?

Do you want to make the computers your best friend?
    Read about it here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.