1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

teaching writing for 3 year olds

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by dheepu81, Mar 2, 2011.

1. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

hi ladies,

my DS is 3 yrs 5 months old, he goes to pre KG now, the focus is only on orals.......this year the school closes on 12th march after the exams. they have around 15 days vaccation. school reopens on 1st april and functions for a month. Then they give around 1 and half months vaccation.

so from 1st april lkg starts, the prekg teacher recommends that we start teaching writing at home during the 15 day vacation. she also told, that they will begin teaching to write cursive letters instead of block letters.

I got to know from my relatives also that they teach cursive writing first........

Im planning to teach the same....i went through kidzone website also...its nice.......anyone has any tips to share about teaching the child to write and any resources that you used that worked out.........all suggestions are welcome.......I'm in Chennai, so any books that you have used and found intresting are also welcome. Thanks in advance.

dheepa

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    The developmentally apprpriate sequence is to learn to write capitals between 4-5, small (or lower case) from 5-6, and then go to cursive...cursive should be taught no earlier than 7 years of age. Why? There are a lot of skills involved in writing cursive-more wrist isolation, stability, eye hand cordination, trunk control, shoulder strenghth...I was in a class of four year olds two onths ago and the tecaher kept insisting that the kids could write in cursive because they were smart. At some point during the day I observed almost all students. They couldn't control the letter sizes, the letters were formed incorrectly and some were smart-smart enough to print and then draw connecting lines!

Instead, give your child plenty of fine motor activities-arts and crafts are great for this...teach him to cut laong lines, cut shapes and glue them to form a picture, string different sized objects to make necklaces, help you kneed chappathi dough, tape writing paper under a small table or chair and have him lie under it and write on the paper (isolates wrist and is fun too), squeeze lime to juice...think of all the fun things you can do instead of giving him cursive at this age.

It is parents' responsibility to bring it to the teacher's attention and ask for developmentally appropriate curriculum in school-you wouldn't expect a child who is just learning to stand to start running across the room...this is the same. Children's muscles have to develop and reach a certain level of strength and flexibility before they can learn to write in cursive.

R

3. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

Hi teacher,

I totally agree with you, when i was in school we learnt manuscript writing first before learning cursive and upper case before lowercase; and cursive writing was taught in grade 2.

BUt now according to CBSE schools in INdia, this is what they follow...they start with cursive writing from the begining i still dont know weather is uppercase first or vice versa

so im realy confused to handle it and i told in my previous post, my cousins children study in CBSE school in B'lore and they also report the same.

so i dont have a choice other than teaching cursive letter by 3 and a half....but im confused.....can anyone give me details on the indian context....pls

btw i found uppercase cursive letters at www.softschools.com.

dheepa

4. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

wow...that was good info...thanks teacher!