Teaching maidservant to read and write

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by superwoman09, Nov 28, 2011.

1. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Hi

I would like to help my maidservant to learn to read and write in Marathi/Hindi. The main objective that she can read at least bus numbers and destinations and also to sign her name. Need suggestions on how to go about doing it. I started off with the alphabets, showing it to her, with examples. Can someone guide me.

1 person likes this.

2. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

3. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

This is very noble deed superwoman09...

Glad that your maid is also willing to learn. I think the best way to start is to get number and alphabet books from kindergarten as that is where the basic starts from any Marathi-medium or English school. These books are very simple and also picture illustrated which will be easier for your maid to grasp and understand.

Wish you goodluck in this good work...

4. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Yes have got some alphabet books. Number books also is a great idea. I started off with alphabets but somehow got cut off in between as she had to go out of station and then I had to...Guess will start again this week.

5. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    Hats off to you. You are doing a great service. I too thought of doing this to my maid, but my maid is always busy. Grrrr.... Or may be she is trying to escape from me. So I am unable to prove my good worth towards her. He he...

But you have got a wonderful opportunity to educate your maid.
    Ya, you can train her on numbers and alphabets for a few weeks. Once she is well-versed in it, you can introduce small words, her name and signature and so on.

You can even go about A for apple, B for ball in your language. Classify things as fruits, vegetables, colours, places, animals, birds, things and so on.

Going by a kindergarten booklet is a good idea in this aspect. It would be easy for her to pick up soon.

Special regards

6. priyasudhakar

priyasudhakar Gold IL'ite

hi superwoman,

hats off to ur idea of helping ur maid. try sites with audio and pictures of alphabets, it can be still more easier and she can feel happy to use the computer too.

7. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi Superwoman!!!

You are doing a great job. I teach to many woman from slum areas. I teach them to read first; one alphabet at one time. Keep repeating it for a week. I ask them to use that letter atleast ten times in a day with different words/sentenses. Like say "a" in marathi--Anil ghari aala, Apan jeu ya, limbu Ambat asate... and also to recognize that alphabet on signborads, nameplates, in their children's books etc. They take some time to learn, but nevermind.

All the best dear for your noble work.

8. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Another easy way is to teach them to recognise the alphabet through their sounds (phonics). For example alphabet "B" sounds as ba as in ball.

This is also an easy method. I used this meithod of phonics some years ago when I worked for an Adult Education programme for Arabs who wanted to learn English.

9. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Sorry ILites, I did not check replies to this post for quite some time. Am still not so used to the IL format and thought I would be notified in case of any replies to my post :( Thnx a lot for your replies and suggestions. Have started off with alphabets. Just hope that she and I both are able to continue. The last time it started off gr8 but then we had a gap in between and now its back from scratch.