1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teaching Kids Time Manangement.

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Grace3, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

I'm having trouble teaching my daughter [7yrs.old] to prioritise her stuff & help her complete her tasks ON TIME !! Yes, that is the key point -- 'cos she is not disobeying or anything, just that she is tooooo ... playful about things and I seem to be repeating myself, every day ! Eg.) Every morning, brushing time she will vigorously nod her head to my instructions & start ...within few minutes I hear her playing with the water, her bath monkey, singing ...Similarly, to eat a pear she takes 35mins... constantly yakking, playing with the table cloth, fidgeting.... I don't nag/go behind her ; just keep reminding her in between -- until the last few mins., when I have no choice but to become more stern, tell her she will get 'late-slip' from school & then she hurries up . So though she awakes on time & she knows what is to be done final 20mins. before leaving for school is a mad rush !!!

Even her other work like handwriting practice, lessons/homework, arranging her shelves, she starts nicely but in the midst starts daydreaming, playing with the rubber / doodling etc. etc. I have to be behind her, calling out 'finished', 'it's getting late' -- for all the jobs -- except playing of course !! I've even got her own alarm clock & set a time for each task --- it worked initially, now ... bonk

In her report card last week her teacher had mentioned "...she needs my assistance to organise her thoughts & move towards the necessary steps to finish her assignments." -- This is exactly her nature !
    What must I do to improve her focus ?
    How to make her realise 'time' is too precious to be wasted -- the sooner we do the job, the more time we will have to achieve more ?
    Her dawdling, 'take it easy' thinking, is becoming a habit -- if I don't correct her now, and teach her to focus better, it will become exasperating later on ....

Mummies, please help me out & suggest your techniques !!

Thanks,
    Grace.

2. kj2008

kj2008 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am also in the same boat as u are!!!:) My daughter is 61/2 yrs old.But I have started giving her money for each task she does on her own like organising her room, helping me or taking care of her little brother.Basically doing good and fast things. That way she is eager to earn some money (a few cents) for buying her stuff. Also i don't give her things easily. Make it a point if she does bad she is going to get punished like not talking to her.

If u get some ideas do share

Thanks!!!

3. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Grace,

yes its a task dealing with kids...................because they are still kids and not an adult like us..........they dont understand anything till they are mentally matured............................i have a daughter who is like your daughter very slow in everything except for playing..............initially i used to do everything for her, later what i did was, i allowed her to do everything at her own pace...................and she had to face the consequences in the school for late coming, so she did this for few days.......i didnt go for her rescue.............one fine morning what a surprise, she was awake by 6 am and was ready by 8 am her auto comes at 8.10..........of course i had to pack her lunch, plait her long hair, from my side everything used to be ready, only thing she has to do was having bath, keep her books according to the time table, keep her karate uniform ready.................these were the only few things for me..................but for her it was something like moving a mountain............since most of the kids have this arousal problems in the morning..................slowly they will change when they are allowed to face every consequence on their own, be firm..............thats it......................now my daughter is 13 yrs old she was like this till 11 yrs old.................

4. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi kj,

Thanks for your posting.
    In teaching my kid to be more organised, money doesn't figure at all in my equation. I've tried punishing her a couple of times too, by cancelling her playtime or not allowing her to read her favourite library book ---- it works at that time, for that task ; but next day, back to square one. I punish her by being silent/not talking only when she is rude / impolite [ which is pretty rare..] & within 5 seconds she apologises & never repeats the same.

I would never ever consider her laid-back actions as 'bad' ..actually strong words like bad/hate etc. has no place in our conversations. I'm only looking for solutions to handle her tendency towards laziness which I feel will hamper her academic progress too.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  5. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Padmavathi,

Thanks for your response .

I understand they cannot grasp this concept so soon at this age ; but only when we teach them when they are young, it will form as a good habit ! I'm not convinced yet that it is something she will learn as she grows up 'cos I've seen in my brother's and a cousin's case ; they were lazy, not punctual, haphazard, disorganised kids & even now, when they have kids of their own -- they are a nightmare for their spouses !!! My mum used to keep yelling, gritting her teeth, picking up after him, even feeding b'fast for him, as he got ready to go to office --:spin--- can you believe it !!!

With my daughter, I vehemently refuse to do such things ; neither am I prepared to just wait it out..and see if she improves on her own. She has no problem getting up in the morning ; in fact, she is a light sleeper ! She is very very particular about not being late for school ; "Oh Gosh , mummy -- it is 8:12 already ! I don't want to be late.." and while I tell her " That's what I've been telling you so long .." she rushes like a lightning & grabs her boots/coat etc. & is ready in a flash !!

Why can't this 'bulb of knowledge' switch on 15mins. earlier Big Laugh when she is merrily jabbering away ....

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Grace,

chill. relax. don't go too forward to the future dear. she is still 7. Ok you have a little nag behind your head, is it hereditary.

I personally feel, your DD has got used to your instructions that she expects a push even at school.

I used to be too worried before if the kids did not take some note book or pencil or something. these days, i tell them, it is their responsiblity to check before leaving the home, they may forget once, twice then they become careful.

Time management, dearie...it is something not even us elders are able to keep up..Drowning.

Ok. get her a stop watch. ask her to check out the time she uses for eating, bathing and things. ask her to find out if she has used her time effectively.

make a time table and check out. (let this be her own personal discovery project for becoming better..). Ask her to chart out her work for the after school and before school for a week. and allot some time to each work. and giver herself a star for wherever she has done within the time she has allotted and a black dot to the other. that way she will slowly learn to be effective.

Teaching her to measure the time she uses for each work will help her to learn to do it better and faster. most of the time, kids/adults think we have been doing a job for so long..like suppose a child is doing his homework from 6.00p.m to 8.00p.m, he thinks he has spent 2 hours on the work when effectively he would have done 20/30 minutes of work if you reduce the time used to playing games, sharpening pencils, filling ink, bringing the books..(did i miss anything).

Next time she takes more than 30 minutes to eat an apple or pear tell her that even the pear is getting bored and changing color because of her slow eating. :idea

Give her a hug, a extra hour on her favorite program as a reward to encourage her to do better..don't criticize her effort. tell her that time is something so valuable . you can definitely buy toys, gold or whatever you wish tomorrow, but not time..we never get yesterdays. in simple words she can never be 6 year old. she can be 7 or she will become 8 tomorrow.

On an after thought does anyone at home do that..like sorry to ask how is your time management?? (oops i am going :hide::hide: because of this snoopy, rude question..)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  7. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,

Thanks very much for your response.

Previously, I was also under the impression [like Padmavathi] that as she grows up, she would realise & correct herself. I just gave occassional lectures..that's all. The teacher's report triggered in me that if her schoolwork is getting affected, then I must do something about it. Hence started this thread.
    She used to time her running, skipping, obstacle course etc. using stopwatch -- let me hunt for it now & use it now for her other work. Yes, I've used that angle also while speaking to her that she cannot go back to last weekend & enjoy that outing again etc. I will also try out your time-table technique for this also ----- the earlier one for chores was a flop !! :thumbsdownThe first few days was stars..then she totally lost interest & I saw no point in thrusting on her. So, left it for the time being.

Common dearie, nothing snoopy about this ; but you've zoomed in on the wrong parent ... it is my hubby Big Laughwho is procrastinator NO.1 !!! He is not so punctual but definitely is not prone to idling/time-wasting ! He is extremely focussed in whatever he does! I've been rather organised & extremely punctual, right from childhood ---- I used to be ready & wait on the road for the rickshawman to go to school ! I get fidgety/irritable if I don't have anything to do ; that's why I get very irritated bonkwhen I see her dawdling...& worry how to correct her .

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Grace,

I hear that there are children who laze a little. my DS is also one of them. So can understand, but do keep telling her that time is precious.

When soft talk does not help..the tougher times require tougher measures too.

This is what i do. if they don't listen,or behave lazy and need me to tell them everyday.

I will just tell them the previous day i am not going to do anything tomorrow.

you have to do everything. so if they forget to take their book, forget to get the laundry, miss the uniform they are repsonsible, I just make myself a little hard and just look the otherway, even if i know they are forgetting something. once, twice they do the same mistakes. laundry was not brought, they did not have the uniform and had to manage, and now they keep a note forthemselves on the fridge or the mobile reminder.. so i feel, a little stern ness may help with kids who are like my DS.

And one more thing, don't point the same thing everytime, and also they get used to the punishment and develop the attitude, ok you are going to cut my tv hours, fine..so we need to keep track and observe ourselves too..so that we are not making this mistake.

9. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,
    Yes , This is a work-in-progress , no overnight solution. :).
    Will keep your suggestions in mind.
    Thanks again.

10. rajiravi

rajiravi Bronze IL'ite

Dear Grace,

I read all yuor posts and FBS from our ILite friends.

This problem is faced by all the mothers especially with the second child, even i face the same problem with the younger one, who is 9 years old. She is very intelligent, but playful. Even at times, if i scold her for not completing her work in time, what she used to say you know, "Mom, Be Cool! Don't get tensed. I will do it". That's it! They know their jobs, but the thing is since they are small, they are playful, that's all. If they grow up, they will definitely change.

From our side, what we can do is, if they eat slow, first of all, we should make sure they are not sitting in front of TV. If they ear by watching their favourite channels, they can't make out thetaste of the food. We should stop that first. And we can say, if we finish it fast, you can continue watching TV.

Another most important thing, when the kids are studying, we should make sure that we are there with them throughout, atleast till they reach 7th or 8th. We can tell them, if they want us to take them for outing, they should complete their home work in time, then only you can take them for outing. If they are not completing in time, that day we can skip going for outing, then they will understand how serious, we are, about that point. This really works out.

Regards,

Raji

JustAni likes this.