"Teacher's Day" Contest for September '09

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Laxmi, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rajiravi

rajiravi Bronze IL'ite

re: "Teacher's Day" Contest for September '09

This is about my Maths Teacher - Mrs Meenakshi & a tribute to her lovely kid...

I can never forget this teacher in my life, because, previously I used to hate mathematics like anything and I always remembered bharathi's, "kanaku, mannaku, pinnaku, aamanakku"....this was till my 8th standard. Then one fine day, everything changed. From 9th, I had meenakshi teacher as my maths teacher and she was like an angel, GOD for me. She changed my hatred on mathematics to liking and then the whole of 9th and 10th standards, maths classes were like sitting in heaven for me and at last, I got 99% in maths in my board exams and ofcourse, the whole credit goes to my one and only maths teacher, MEENAKSHI TEACHER ...Now, comes the sad part of the story....

This teacher was so dedicated and she used to take special classes for us on saturdays, sometimes even on sundays. She used to combine two sections together and take classes. We never used to get bored of her class even if continues for more than 2-3 hours, but needless to say, we used to do lot of naughty things in the class and she always used to bear with us and sometimes, if she gets annoyed, she used to scold us.

This incident occured during our 10th half-yearly exam... She was irregular just 10-15 days before the exams, but still somehow she was managing and attending to us, and unfortunately, few of us didn't come out with good marks to her expectation and she was so upset and she was almost in tears asking explanation from us, but we didn't know why she was so upset, even we were not that much. Then after few days, she didn't come to school for more than a week. We were so curious to know what happened, so went and asked her fellow teacher and we were shocked to hear that her child, just one year old girl baby, passed away ( I still remember how she used to come with her big tummy to the school when we were in 9th)....and then they added to our shock that her child was suffering from jaundice for more than a month ( this was during our half-yearly exam) and she somehow managed to come and attend few classes. We were so upset and shocked and felt so sad for her and ofcourse bad about ourselves, since we could not score to her expectation and went to her house to convey our condolences. I can never forget this incident throughout my life.

Eventhough, it happened many years ago, whenever I think of my school days, I always think about this lovely teacher and that poor kid.

SHE IS ALWAYS THERE IN MY HEART!!!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. shyamala87

shyamala87 New IL'ite

Hi Laxmi,

I want to know one thing. I already posted in this thread. I want to edit some parts in it. But i didn't find edit option. Is there any possibility to edit it? It is already said that only one post is allowed here. So i can't post the same with some changes in another post. (It will be against the rule). Expecting ur reply.

Regards,
    Shyamala.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Binita: when we get into college after school the freedom which we get compel us to bunk classes and do things we like. It’s great that you had a good teacher to point you out and make you walk the right path and that you opted to listen to her advise.

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Andal :such a wonderful experience put down well in words. Great that you won a friend through your sir.
    Dear Arch : Well written, you made me recall all my teachers from K.G to collegeJ
    Ammu dear : Its really blessing to have such wonderful teachers who sincerely wish for our best and does everything for us to aim high.

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shyamala : Such a good teacher…you are lucky to be her student. A teacher shan’t confine her teachings to the syllabus she is given but has to teach all the values of life and how to be a good and caring fellow citizen/human .Enjoyed reading your experience which is well writtenJ
    Dear Raji : It’s true that we will love the subject if we like the teacher who is taking it. I just love learning most of the subjects in my school days only because I love the teacher, there was a reverse incident too, where I started to hate English because of the teacher who used to take it.Luckily we got another Ma'm for the same and i started loving it more than I used to:)

6. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Hi Archana,
    Its nice to read your post.:) Moreover you mentioned about your mother as a great teacher..... Yes for everyone mother is the first teacher.:thumbsup

7. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

hi raji,
    that was a very tragic incident in the life of a dedicated teacher..
    i too had a teacher who had taken special classes till the due date

8. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Dear all,

This is about my college principal.:)

As a student we spent most of our time with our teachers. Some of them left their footprints in our heart yet others in our mind. Though I had lot more memorable moments to cherish in my life, I would like to pen down this particular incident. I can’t forget this moment in my life.

I got admission in one of the women’s college in Chennai. When I got admission in that college everyone scared me that the principal was strict and so the college. I stepped into the college with a big hesitation. I got some good friends. And this incident happened during my final semester. We had only 15 days for our final semester exam. When we were all rushing up with our exam preparations, one of my friends got a chance to attend an interview in a MNC. Once the candidate got selected they have to produce their college transfer certificate. And no colleges will give the transfer certificate before completing their graduation. My friend got selected and they asked her to submit her college TC. When she told this to us, we were all shocked. Because she can’t continue her studies and her three years effort will be wasted. As she can’t give up the job due to family circumstances, she decided to move out. It’s ridiculous to quit the studies at the end. I don’t want my friend to lose her degree at the end. Because a degree is must and most valued for a woman. Due to her dad’s compulsion she spoke to the head of our department. Even all our department staffs don’t want her to quit her studies when we had only 15 days to complete our graduation. Finally our HOD directed them to our principal.

I was completely shattered. I know our principal was so strict. Of course she was strict not only with the students but also with the staffs. She always wishes that a student should maintain the dignity and decorum of the college. All these years I’ve never seen her smiling face. Some of the students nick named her as Hitler. Moreover she was harsh in her rules and regulations. And I was damn sure that she won’t give up her rules and regulations. She spoke to my friend and gave her TC. Then she told her to return it to the office staff after verification. She also told her to continue her studies and to finish off her final exam.

It’s a great astonishment to all of us. We never expected this from our principal. I felt as though I was under shower. Even though everyone kindled her as Hitler she proved that even Hitler has a heart. I think this is what we call it as timely help. Before speaking about one person, one must walk a mile in her\his shoes. Yes it’s not an easy task to run an educational institution. It’s a great challenge for a woman to run a big institution successfully and efficiently. she desreve it. I’ve learned that “Do not judge a book by its cover”. And I’m proud enough to say that I’ve studied in one of the best institutions.

Later part:
    Months later my friend had to give up that job as the company demanded her to sign a contract for 2 years. This was not told to her in the beginning. If I say the pay for that job may be it’ll be shocking to some of us. It’s five thousand. Today she got married and working in a good company in a reasonable pay.

9. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Mrs. Mistry, my needlework teacher in middle school, was a Parsi lady who was a strict disciplinarian. She was always neat in her attire and appearance. Students used to joke that the day Mrs. Mistry came to school without istry (ironing) on her sari would be the last day of the world. In fact, it was a riddle to all of us as to how she managed to keep her sari neat and ironed in spite of the torrential monsoons in Mumbai.

I knew some basic sewing from watching my mom, but was far from being proficient at it. I always stayed by mom watching her stitch, insisting on pulling the fabric on the other side to help her, which is how I got my finger stuck under the needle as a toddler. In the commotion that followed, a burglar who entered through the rear door walked away with a huge silver plate.

I was in my seventh grade when Mrs. Mistry entered my life. She totally changed all that I had known about sewing until then, making her class almost a nightmare for me and my classmates. This was the year that my mother was convinced that I would develop an aversion for needlework due to Mrs. Mistry. At least, she would never have to worry about me getting my finger stuck under the needle.

To start with, Mrs. Mistry laid down several rules. She insisted that our hands be washed before we touch the fabric so as the oil and dirt would not stain the cloth. Next, she would not let us make a knot at the end of the thread, which had to be single strand only. Each and every time, we had to wear the silly thimble on the thumb which was not comfortable at all. It was quite a trick to manage the thread from not slipping away at the end and at the same time, keep the thimble from slipping off. Next, the basting or the rough stitches had to be exactly in a straight line and neat.

On some occasions, she had hit a few girls on the knuckles with a ruler if the stitches went a little out of line. Only if she approved of the rough work were we allowed to do the fair stitches. No sewing machine was involved, although the requirement was that our work had to look nearly machine-made. Needless to say, we girls took a whole year to finish the first project…which was a baby's shirt.

Her class was in the afternoon after lunch, and on certain days after PE. The result was that our uniforms were not as neat as in the morning. Added to that, our hair would be out of the plaits and ponytails. This used to irritate Mrs. Mistry to no end.

"You junglee!!!” The moment Mrs. Mistry uttered these dreadful words, we knew one of us was in some serious trouble. I am positive that she could not have gotten away with such name-calling today.

The moment her class was over and she was out of sight, the girls would whisper and console each other that because she didn't have kids of her own, she was so intolerant and strict. When the boys would walk in after their woodworking class and gloat about their ever nice teacher, each one of us wished that we were born a boy.

Over the years, I have done some serious stitching, although I never really took to wearing the thimble. But I have managed to keep the fabric clean, the stitches tidy and finish the project within a self-imposed deadline. In short, Mrs. Mistry sowed the seed for doing any job efficiently and within a prescribed timeframe.

Even though I didn't look forward to Mrs. Mistry's class then, she did manage to leave an imprint. Though the stitches were painful at that time, they have succeeded in mending the good habits in me and I am sure in my classmates as well.

10. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

This incident happened when i was in 12th standard.
    We were having the economic class,and actually the class was litle boring. So sitting in last benches we were discussing about ystyds :FATICHAR, serial, ironically in that they were showing something about poverty line, and in class also teacher was teaching lesson on BELOW POVERTY LINE

Seeing me talking, she asked me stand up and asked what i was talking, nervously i ratttled, Madam FATICHAR, POVERTY LINE, and the whole class burst in laughter.

radhika

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.