"Teacher's Day" Contest for September '09

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Laxmi, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear ILites,

We salute the Teachers / Professors who gave us the light of Knowledge. We remember our teachers with a special fondness on the Teacher's Day - September 5th.

What better way to celebrate this month, so we decided to announce the special contest to acknowledge the teacher's fraternity who strive and dedicate their life to the upliftment of their students.

The Contest for September 2009 is....
    Teacher's Day Contest

How to Participate in this Contest ?

• Draft an entry about your teacher, touching / moving moment you had with your teacher, a hilarious incident that sparked a lighter moment in class room.
    • Post it here in this thread
    Contest starts today - September 8th 2009

Contest ends on September 25th 2009

Points to note:

• We are not looking for a generic entry that talks about a teacher - student relationship.
    • Come out of cliches and post an entry that is realistic and makes the reader to take her to her school / college days
    • An ILite can post only 1 entry.
    • Entries should be posted only in this thread for it to qualify for the contest.
    • Best write up will be selected by the panel of Judges.
    • Entries posted in this thread during the contest period - Sep 8th to Sep 25th will only be considered for the contest.
    Ladies, what are you all waiting for...go ahead and pay tribute to your teacher.

All the Best!!!

PS: Any questions about participation in the contest, do post it here in this thread and we will respond

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009

2. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

re: "Teacher's Day" Contest for September '09

Nice to know about the contest. can I post an entry which I have posted on teachers day under my blogs,on this thread. or do I have to write a separate one. when we write what ever in the heart comes out, so can i post the same entry.

Please let me know.

3. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

Dear Laxmi

I just wanted to know one thing. can I write some bad experience i had in school or is it only the positive things we have to focus on.

please let me know.

4. rayofhopes

rayofhopes New IL'ite

Hi,

I would like to share my memories with you all.

I joined college after doing my 11 and 12 in the school. Being the 1st year of college I and my gang used to enjoy a lot, like bunking the classes and going to moview etc. One day, I was the only one present out of my gang. My professor by name Mrs.Kusum gave a problem to solve in her class. I did not know how to do it since I had bunked her previous class. When she saw that I am not able to solve it, she came straight to me( as if she was just watching me) and advised that I am an intelligent girl with great percentage in 12th std. She expected a lot from me but that you are not serious , this is not college is meant for. Please concentrate on your studies. It had really touched me and after that day I never bunked her class. I used to like her a lot. I never realised that being a quiet and simple girl there are professors/teachers wathching me and making note of me. It really changed my perspective towards college and I became serious towards it.

Thanks kusum madam.

cheers
    Binita

5. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Manchitra,

If you think the blog you wrote on teacher's day in your personal blogspace meets the guidelines of this contest (as listed above), you may provide a link to that particular blog entry mentioning to be considered as the entry for this contest too. No problems.

Manchitra,

It would be good to focus on positive things that you had with your teacher in school/college, that made you think "she/he is the best teacher".

Thanks, Good Luck!

6. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai,

Its a fantastic idea to remember our good old teachers.

I'm in my 30's and its a golden opportunity for me to remember my second mother - my tamil teacher.

My father was a Dy. collector and every 6 months he got transfer. So most of schooling was in Govt. institutions only and we came to Chennai and I joined a corporation school for my 8th.

We got a superb tamil sir, who taught us not the language but its importance, essence and its uniqueness.

Though he is a male, all his students felt the motherly touch in his approach. I joined the 8th after quarterly exam and I became his favourite student. There was a shadow fight between me and another student for the 1st rank. That girl humiliated me for all the things and could not digest me as her rival and she did all the mischievous things to make me not to study.

But I was so quiet and could not do anything. But the news went to the tamil master. One day he entered our class and started telling a story.

It was Krishnaraja's kingdom. He asked the excellent painters to draw a beautiful and divine painting.

All finished their work and Raja came to see all the paintings. He saw the painting of Thenmozhi (my beautiful enemy entered the story) which was a beautiful bunch of fruits. The parrot of Raja just hit the painting thought it as a fruit. (A victorious smile on my enemy's face)

Then the Raja visited Andal's paiting (ofcourse me) . The painting was covered with a curtain and Andal was standing in pride before the painting. All the court men and Raja waited for Andal to open the curtain to see her painting. But Andal did not move a bit. The king restlessly asked Andal to open the curtain.

But Andal humbly replied "My majesty, what u r seeing is my painting. I painted that curtain only and all your court men mistook it for a real curtain"

All the court men went speechless. The painting was so nice that was mistook for a real. The painting which fooled all the people was declared the winning one.

Tamil master finished the story and asked Thenmozhi whether she understood the story and tamil master asked her to come to his special room and explained her that treating others bad is not good and everybody has their own talent and humiliating others is a big sin.

After that we became good friends and together we won so many prizes for the school.

Taking care of the behaviour of his students and correcting the mistakes without any offence was the best part of the master and I still bow for him.

andal

7. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

For the love I have for those sculptors, who made me and continue to make me complete

A yearning, A wish and hence a post….

I wish I could see more teachers like mine today. Some of the best people who have ever been around to sculpt me to what I am today include those pillars on whom I have just leaned and grown.

Some extremely close incidents that I reckon often about school and college life are not with friends, but with teachers. Strange considering I was not the first rank holder or the best student in the class.

I don’t know to forget some people, and especially after they have done such wonderful things that are here are memories.

Encourage to reach the stars!
    Mrs. Kasthuri – She was my IInd standard class teacher. The best ever recollection of her was a “Golden Star”. She cut stars from the golden color paper (that comes as an inner wrap for caramilk chocolates) and pastes them on the last page of a note book if you have done a neat job in copying notes for the day. A huge encouragement. I kept my 2nd standard maths class work till I finished my 9th standard. It is her habit that has tuned me today to openly encourage anything that happens around!

Play together, and eat together!
    Mrs. Geetha – IIIrd standard class teacher. The lady who bought a dabba full of home made chakara pongal and 5 packets of marie biscuits to distribute amongst the class on the last working day. Oh, the joy of eating with people and the happiness in doing things for others – I owe it all to you, Geetha M’am!

Into the land of faraway tree and Sheldon!
    Mrs.Chitra – The science teacher in IVth standard. In her words –“You have got a moderate head with a talkative hand”. I don’t know how far that was true. She always made sure I read out the entire lesson in class. A practice I did from Class III to Class VII. My world of Enid Blyton’s to Jeffrey Archer’s opened that day.

Life’s Lessons – From Akbar to Cancer
    Mrs. Rajalakshmi – An amazing personality. Always full of gusto and the one who always made sure every single child absolutely understood every day of Akbar’s life. She spoke on her family, how tough it is to stay focused to kids who could barely manage to remember when Panipat war happened! Mam, I remember and recollect every word of you that has been drilled into my subconscious memory that day!

Dedication and Knowledge make a powerful person
    Mr. Shanumgam – Accounts Sir. He takes a black board, and scribbles all over it in the process of teaching. Over the end of the 2 hour session – you learn more than what is there in the book and wish to take a photograph of the board. Sir, You are the reason I chose commerce in my undergrad. And you are the reason why I work as a financial analyst now!

Oh, the power of Me unleashed with her.
    Ms. Deepa – A IIT Graduate, she wanted to teach at a school for a living. A pro on computers, and always spoke on how limited a computer is compared to our heads. She was the first to initiate the practice of taking notes when a class in on, and I still do it whenever someone holds a mike and talks!

Responsible Freedom, always!
    Ms. Rosy – Always had been a matter of inspiration. I was not her best child at class, but that never deterred me from almost worshipping her. The way she spoke about life made all the difference to the way our batch saw her. The person who is behind making me do so much “goggling” for every question in the syllabus. The person who has instilled the fiery entrepreneurial spirit in me and the quest for a sensible freedom.

The Debits and the Credits of Life
    Mrs. Hema – Nicknamed as the Hitler. The reason why I am unable to use a pen in my books today. The reason why I can rattle the dynamics of accounting in sleep. The person who told me on Day 1 of her class – “You are investing nearly half a lakh in this course. Make sure you get it back with your interest” She is one soul who could just equalize dedication and discipline.

I could go on to say so many more people who have sculpted me as a person, and hence have earned the name of being a teacher in life. To me, a teacher is one who does not just preach and practice, but goes an extra mile in making sure the practice reaps its rewards. In such sense – My amma has been the best ever teacher not only because of the virtue of teaching me facets of life but also inculcating a strong learning culture in me. Today, If I can learn by seeing people around me – I owe it all to her. When we hear of teachers ill treating children, I only have the first line of this post to repeat - I wish I could see more teachers like mine today.

Life is young, and my journey is on. I shall meet more teachers, learn more lessons and be a student forever! That is my wish, and hence the post.

Arch

8. ammuganesh

ammuganesh New IL'ite

Hi,
    When I am in Schooling from 6th to 10th std there is a teacher Name chandraleka from sankara vidyalaya, the Biology Teacher, who looks pretty and teach the language with full enthusiasm. I can remember her for my every teacher’s day. If the student is naughty or not concentrating and whenever the teacher notices, they use to scold or beat the student. But my teacher is different. No one in my class says that we don’t listen to biology class.
    Daily when she came inside she use to encourage the student in all aspects. Even when she use to draw a biology subject related diagram, when we speak, she correct point out the student without seeing them. She Makes us to read as a paragraph, and encourage "Good, you are reading nice, still tomorrow , ill expect more ", she won’t discourage even the student is not reading well. if anyone got less mark. she call and listen to the student problem and mark a special attention to get Good marks next time. Really she helps us in many ways. Today every one of her student are Missing. My glad wishes for her. :)

9. shyamala87

shyamala87 New IL'ite

"Indrani - Social Science"

Due to transfer of my parents, I had my schooling from 8th to 10th Standard in Corporation Girls Higher Secondary School, Coimbatore. Since i studied in state board in my previous school, other state board schools in coimbatore don't agreed to give seat in their school (i am not sure, my parents take care of that). So only option is government school. Before joining the school, i haven't good opinion about government school. I felt disappointed and thought may be i am eligible for this only.

In the first few days, i heard from my friends about the staff Indrani. They all praising them. No one said anything bad about her. I have the mentality at that time that, what's new in her, may be they are over exacrating it, she is like all others only. Since all are praising her very much, i didn't like her.

But i attend the classes sincerely. In our weekly test & monthly test, we have some general questions like, who is our collector, from which dam (i.e Siruvani in coimbatore) we get the water, who is our chiefminisiter. She makes sure that atleast we have to know the answer for this basic questions and to know something about the place where we are living.

She clearly thought the lessons in an easy way. She wants us to understand the lessons clearly. She hate mugging up. The answer gave by her for the questions are very less lines, but contains all the matter in it. She gave prices to the top students to encourage them. Sometimes for all. She won't do partiality.

She takes us to the museums and some textile("Rattai" etc are there) and art gallery in her own cost. She also bought bread for us, knowing we were hungry while during such travelling. Conduct some speech competitions in the class. Make us to aware about the women's right and encourage us in speeching. Give prices for those who did well.

She also conduct story writing, speech competition in a big manner for all the 9th std students (English medium + Tamil medium students, totally we were about 200 students). The topic of the competition is about small savings. Gave certificates for all those participated and prices for the top three(books are given)

At my 9th std, there is an aware about UNO (most of them talking about UNO at that time). So some organization conduct a drama about UNO between govt. schools in coimbatore. Our school & another govt. school took part in the competition. She only wrote the script and volunteers from our class took part in the drama. Asked us to read some lines in the script, and depending on our capability she gave the role. During practise, she told us how to improve and encourage us. Finally we won.

As i heard from my friends, she is not appointed by the government. She volunterly came forward and taught us. She is a rich lady. And also an old lady, (as my assumption) may be around 50 to 60. She had the silver hair and some shrinks in the face, apart from that we can't say she is old. She has such a bold face, we even get energy and enthusium on seeing her face. There is always some brightness in her face. She is simple only.

May many of them have money, while only few of them have the heart to do the needful. If she came regularly and took only normal classes like others, i think it is just normal only. But encourage us to learn more things apart from books, motivate us to took part in speech competition, take us to some important places like museum, textile industry in her own cost etc. She is like a role model to all the staffs as well as students. There is no need to her to do this. But she want to render some help to others.

Only just studying teh books and completly vomiting it, sh don't like it. She want students to have some knowledge other than books & Be bold to face any difficulties in life.

She also took some grammer classes in our summer holidays (9th Standard leave). Private school will do all these type of activites, while in govt. school only these type of voluntery staff took on behalf of the welfare of the students.

While i am leaving from that school, i felt very great to studied in the school, otherwise i may miss this wonderful staff.
    It is one of a god gift for me.

In govt. school, staffs are not there as required. Even while i was studying 10th std, we are lack of social science staff & tamil staff. Our science teacher Miss.Meenakshi, requested the some of the retired staffs to took class for us. They came forward even thou' they suffered from health difficulties.

I want to add one more point, in govt. school also there are good staffs, brilliant students. Even the batch before us got district rank. Now some of our school students are working in companies like wipro, infosys. These things i want to say to those who thought those schools are worse like me. Don't judge a book by a cover.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  10. asma747

asma747 Senior IL'ite

Teacher's Day

On the teachers day................
    I want to pay my contribution

Teachers with their support I am here
    Writing this to give them respect I am here

Infact mine were the teachers, role model
    The pillars of strength and dignity

When I was the kid they were the moulders