Tanjore Paintings & Wedding Return Gifts & Kanchivaram Sarees

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by gothaiganan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gothaiganan

gothaiganan Bronze IL'ite

Hello again ladies!! :D

Thank you so much for all the lovely input that you all are giving into this shopping forums especially for ppl like me who travel to chennai for shopping - it's a great service :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

Just a question on Tanjore paintings - I want to buy few and am looking to buy some TRADITIONAL Tanjore paintings. Is there any reliable place where I can get value-for-money paintings? Also, where can I get other handicraft items such as Tanjore dolls at reasonable rates?

I also have a plan to give some small return gift at my wedding, such as a small decorated container for kum-kum (kunkumam) or decorated hand mirror or purse. Where can I find such items from in Madras?

Further, I thought of going to Kanchivaram to check out Kanchivaram sarees there. Is it worth the travel and how long is it from Chennai to the place? Does anyone have any particular recommendation about which stores to go to? Is it also possible to get customised sarees within 2-3 days? And most importantly how do I get there :bonk:bonk

Hope to hear from you all - and again, many thanks to you ladies!! :bowdown

2. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

1) I have heard of friends buying tanjore painting from a family which makes it in besant nagar, chennai. You can find their name listed in tanjore oviyam in chennai.
    2) There are many shops in parrys corner which sell small gift articles. There are a few retailers in mylapore. Since you require in bulk you can try parrys corner.
    3) If you plan to purchase large quantity of silk saree you can opt for kancheepuram. You can combine temple trips along with shopping. Or if you require only a few sarees better shop in t nagar area in chennai.

sindmani likes this.
  3. vani999

vani999 New IL'ite

Hi i make tanjore paintings they cost from 1000-20000 bucks
    you can even use as return gifts which comes in 1000 bucks
    you can PM for deatils

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2014
  4. Rajithared

Rajithared Senior IL'ite

Hai , I make watercolor painting with in 500rs-5000rs .ganesha,Krishna etc according to your wish . you can PM for more details

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2014