1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Tanjore painting -step by step instructions

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by theartisticone, Jun 18, 2009.

how did you find this thread?

1. fine

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. good

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. excellent

31 vote(s)
    75.6%
  4. useless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rupadm

Rupadm Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Su. So much. Even my teacher did not teach me so elaborately, though I paid the fees. Your steps are so detailed, that anyone in the art field can catch it up easily. And a not artist also can grab it easily with minor correctons required. Probably, once an artist starts working onit, will get the hang of purity and perfectness.

Once again, thank you for the time and patience you have dedicated to Indus ladies.

regards,
    roopa

2. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

hi sarr,
    you are welcome!:)
    as for the board preperation, you should actually do it with another person to help you streach and fold the cloth - you cant understand much from the photos!:spin

3. theartisticone

hi veni mohan,
    you are welcome!:)

4. theartisticone

hi roopa,
    you r welcome! i too have had a bad experience with a teacher who charged a lot of money but didnt teach me properly and neither did she give me the proper materials for the painting and she never told me how to trouble shoot! we have to be wary of such people who claim to know an art - dont be deceived! we should share our knowledge with others so in the process we learn something new ourselves. :)

5. Rupadm

Rupadm Bronze IL'ite

Yes Su. You are very true. Becoming a perfect teacher is also an art, I feel. Because we should teach them all that we know about that art. I don't understand, how a vidya guru can herself behave so selfish.

I think this is the only site, where art profession inlcuding everything else is shared without any selfishness.

By the bye, can you tell me what is yellow oxide. Because, what my teacher gave me was yellow color chalk powder. But what you are talking is pure white chalk powder and yellow oxide powder.
    Recently, when I went to buy the same from the shop, i came to know that the turmeric seeds are powdered and that is specifically used for Tanjore painting. Is that what you are talking about as yello oxide powder?

regards,
    roopa

6. theartisticone

hi roopa,
    what you said is sad but v true!:bonk
    see, the yellow oxide powder is generally used in polishing furniture - i believe it is added to the varnish/polish so as to act as an insecticide. you can get this in any hardware shop. v litle of this powder is added to the chalk powder- 2-3 pinches.
    but the chalk powder is not plain chalk - it is putty chalk powder and is generally an offwhite colour and is used in smoothening walls -ie putty is used to even out walls and to fill holes in the walls. it costs somewhere around 20 -40 rs /kg, depending on the brand- and any brand wl do!
    i dont know about the turmeric powder!:coffee

7. silambulekshmi

silambulekshmi New IL'ite

Hi Su mam,
    I stay in Hougang. Very much interested in Tanjore painting on the board. Saw ur album. Seems u take class. Can u teach me n also let me know how i can contact you.

8. theartisticone

hi silembu lakshmi,
    i stay in alexandra opp the ikea - green line -queenstown station.
    if we can meet at the alexandra ikea at a specified time and date, we can discuss the classes. see, i am free at 1.45pm on tuesday 10 aug, can we meet at the alteration counter on level 1 on that day?
    see, we arent allowed to pass on personal info so this is the best we can do!
    pls do reply if u r free and can meet me on 10 aug.

9. SumitraRavibabu

SumitraRavibabu Senior IL'ite

Very useful info but i always heard that Tanjore Painting is very tough but interesting art, i wanted to give it a try but very afraid. Seeing your step-by-step instruction i think i can very well give it a try. Will post my TP very soon (may be in six months:)).

Regards,
    SumitraRavibabu.

10. theartisticone

hi sumithraravibabu, :hiya:coffee
    thank you so much! i shall wait for your trial, but a word of advice: its always better to have someone guide you before u start, its also necessary there is someone to trouble shoot because the materials are v expensive, u wont have the heart to throw out the painting if it doesnt come out well!

kaluputti likes this.