1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tamil Novels made into films

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Padmini, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Vgvnr

Vgvnr New IL'ite

Dear Padmini,

Kamal Haasan's Marmayogi's story was loosely based on the interesting part of 'Parthiban Kanavu' i.e the suspense over the identity of the hermit. Since the film failed to take off, some other Director may make use of the theme in the future.

Got my point?

Yes, I read and watched 'Parthiban Kanavu'. Who said your knowledge in English is poor? You are wonderful with the language. English, any how, is a foreign language. No need to master it. Mastering a language is not knowledge. 'Know'ledge is entirely different from 'know'ing. Your knowledge in Tamil cinema seems to be vast.

Keep going.

Cheerio,
    Vgvnr.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Padmini
    Nice thread. I've read Parthipan Kanavu but I dont remember whether I've seen the movie or not.
    Shivashankari's 'Avan Aval Adu' made into a movie in which Raghuvaran acted. I dont know whether it is a box-office hit or not.
    One more Sujatha's novel 'Karaiyellam Shenbagapoo' was also made into a movie,
    Prathap bothan,SriPriya & Sumalatha acted.
    Hoping to see other ILites's response.
    chitra.

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear vgvnr,
    thank you for your compliment. i am trying to give correct information about the novel& also bt the movie.
    dear chitra, welcome to this thread. the novel you mentioned came under the title Oru singam muyalagiradhu. it came as a movie in the title "Avan-aval-adhu. but it is not Raghuvaran. shivakumar acted in that movie.sripriya& lakshmi were the lady artist. inthe novel seeing the fall down of her husband's character his wife will goaway from him. but in the movie the end was so dramatic. the movie ran packed house& it was a box office hit. sophestication in the novel was missing in the movie.
    you r correct. Karaiyellam shenbagappoo written by sujatha was also made into movie. it was taken n very nice manner. even asmall character was taken similar to the story
    like singing oppari&all. pity is the movie failed to click. that is the pity.
    with love
    pad.

4. Chitra29

Thanx padmini for ur info & corrected my mistake.
    I scratched my head y'day & came out with a list.
    Here are some more:
    • Rajni Shoba Starrer MULLUM MALARUM is the movie version of Umachandran.
    • Jayakandan's Sila Nerangalil Sila Manidargal Taken as a movie with same name in which Lakshmi & Srikanth starred &also by the same author
    • ORU NADIGAI NADAGAM PARKIRAL
    • Again Sujatha's GAYATHRI in the same name- rajini,sridevi,y.vijaya,jayashankar starred-Am I right?
    • Shiva Shankari's 47 NATKAL in the same name KB'movie-jayaprada,chiranjeevi,sarath babu
    • IF my memory is correct THILLANA MOHANAMBAL is based on Kothamangalam Subbu's
    Bye for now I'll come back if I get some more!!!
    chitra

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear chitra,
    you are correct. all these stories are made into movies.
    in sujatha's novel gayatri, tempo was there in the begining. but in the movie it was not there. they could not bring the impact that sujatha's writings made.
    you know in that film rajini acted in the villain role. jaisankar acted as villain. eventhough, he is agood actor he could not bring out the brilliance of the character potrayed by sujatha in his writing.rajni overacted with his gimmicks.Rant
    the movie failed in the box office.
    endappa kettom enru irukkirdha?abt other stories we will talk later.
    with love
    pad.

6. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Padmini & Chithra,

Nice input . Never knew 'Thillana Mohanambal' was based on Kothamangalam Subbu ...... I've enjoyed that movie so many times ; the songs, comedy, chemistry .... all was just too good !

Am enjoying all this and noting down the names of movies to view later.

Keep it up !

7. Vgvnr

Vgvnr New IL'ite

Dear Padmini,

Malaikkallan.

A pioneer in its genre also in adapting a famous work of fiction. It was based on Namakkal Ve. Ramalingam's (a) Namakkal Kavignar's novel of the same name. The protagonist's role had similarity with Robinhood. MGR played this role to perfection which was earlier played by his 'role model' Douglas Fairbanks in Hollywood and earned his first massive hit as hero.This was the first and only adapted screenplay for an MGR flick. This was also the first Tamil movie to win President of India's Silver Medal for Best Movie of the Year.

Cheerio,
    Vgvnr.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  8. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear vgvnr,
    so nice of you to write about the film. actually today i was about to write about it. you wrote it with your correct information with your brilliance in english. but it will be
    wrong on my part if we do not mention about the beautiful songs, like Eththanai kalam dhan ematruvar, beautifully tuned by S.M. Subbaih naidu whose music will be classicl based.
    the classical dance by Sai-Subbalakshmi. vulagar movements illadha andha nadanam, pattukkal. you can never forget.thank you for making me go to that golden days.
    with love
    pad

9. Chitra29

Hi vgvnr:wave & padmini:wave
    :eek:mg:nice to see u both compete with each other in giving us info about old movies. :thankyou2:both of u for that.:cheers
    chitra:wave:

10. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear Padmini,

Thanks for clarifying my doubts in Sunitha's post about Kavya Madhavan. Actually I am not a South Indian. I was born and brought up somewhere in the far east. So I do not have much knowledge of South Indian Film stars. However, I know of Mammothy and Kamla Hassan well. I also know Mani Rathnam, Revathy, etc. and watched their movies. I really like them.
    [Sorry for posting here]

Thanks again,

HAPPY