Take A New Job Or Stay In Current One?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by anivijay, Sep 25, 2019.

1. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    In dilemma.

I am working in an university in IT dept which is 10 mins drive from my home. The pay is very less to my skill set and my previous salary. And my role is also at minimum level. I dont see much career growth here. People are not very friendly but not bad either. I don't have work pressure. Work is also less comparing to other companies. Sometimes its boring.

Plus side is I have job security. It's a government job. I am just working 37hrs a week. I have flexible working hours.

Got this other offer. My take home would increase by 30%. Working hours is 40 -42 per week. Its in 40 mins drive from my home. sometimes, in traffic, it could take up to 1 hr one way. They have strict 9-5.30 working hours. May get 1 day work from home. Looks like lots of work pressure.

On the family side, Husband is travelling 4 hrs every day. So, I am one the responsible for everything Monday to Friday. The present job is very convenient to manage kids. I work from 8.30 to 4.30 and would be at home at 4.40 sharp. After taking rest of 1 hour, I would prepare dinner/ pack next day's lunch box, teaching kids and everything. Husband comes at 8pm so cant expect any help from him.

I am 40 having some health issues as well. So, when I go home, I would be very tired. Not sure whether I could manage 2 hrs travel every day.

Husband is primary breadwinner and having a good package.

What shall I do? Stay in current job or go for new one?

your opinions please..

Thanks

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

If you want something challenging and you are very much career oriented then you need to choose the new job.You need to constantly keep upgrading yourself and most of the times it can extend beyond 5:30 and at times even on weekends too. If you are ready for it then accept this. It’s not like a typical government job, if you don’t perform then job is at risk.

But if you are comfortable and happy with a government job which has job security, minimum work, less travel time, worklife balance, continue with it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    BhumiBabe, anivijay and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Your new job sounds really good to me. But I work in government job too, for he reasons you listed above. It is not much of travel IMO. Only problem I see is if this is a private sector job, are you okay with the volatile nature of the job? Rest everything might be manageable. It feels very secured in the government job and I like that feeling of security and no work pressure.

anivijay likes this.
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Look at other benefits which govt job offers in the long term ... pensions or health Benifits , time offs and compare that to additional 30% and additional travel and work pressure ...

take into account when is your next increment due at your current place and how it matches with 30% increment .

when will be the next increment be in new company , typically it may come after 1.5 to 2 years depending on policies .. you may get some prorated increment in the first year.

also will it impact your current childcare arrangements should also be considered

Look at all variables and then take a call.
    30% increment is not much in my opinion... if you are really interested negotiate for better pay at new job ...initial negotiations matter a lot ...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    beingmom likes this.
  5. beingmom

beingmom Silver IL'ite

1 hour one-way commute is soul-crushing, especially for someone like you who currently has 10 minutes commute.

You can have everything, but not at the same time. With your husband traveling for 4 hours a day, you're the primary parent for your kids. I would not take this job. But if I really want to switch, I'd continue to look for jobs closer to my place (or I'd be open to relocate).

BhumiBabe likes this.
  6. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Hi Armummy,
    Thanks for the response. Actually, I am at higher end of pay scale for my grade. So, I can not expect any hikes until I move to higher grade. That's the thing I don't like in this job. Ofcourse, I have generous pensions and holidays.

My kids are in high school. So, don't have to worry about child care. But I wish to spend time with them in evening.

I did all the calculations. what I am going to get is £25 more every day but I have to spend my 2 hours. Thinking does it worth?

7. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

thanks for your reply beingmom.
    Yes I am the primary parent. Relocating is not an option as this place is best for husband and kids. I have to look for jobs closer to my place.

8. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

I don’t see much career growth here. I have flexible working hours.

What about retirement? How much your flexible working hour worth which you cannot buy?

Plus side is I have job security

Are you comfortable without this security?

Looks like lots of work pressure.

Since your husband is travelling 4 hrs every day; can you balance work and life?

I am 40 having some health issues as well.

Would that create added stress and exacerbate your health?

If you take this new job and it enhances your career, can you be the breadwinner?

Best route in a marriage is to maximize. Each family is unique.

What is the best scenario for our family should be the determining factor in making this decision.

Angela123 likes this.
  9. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your time Topaz. My answers below.

I don’t see much career growth here. I have flexible working hours.

What about retirement? How much your flexible working hour worth which you cannot buy?

Flexible hours means a lot to me. I don't think I could manage strict 9-5.30 regime.

Plus side is I have job security

Are you comfortable without this security?

No. I need job security. I am in my mid life. I don't want to run here and there . I want a peaceful life. If I switch, that should be the last company.

I am 40 having some health issues as well.

Would that create added stress and exacerbate your health?

I think added stress would affect my health. There won't be any time for exercise which is crucial for my health.

Looks like lots of work pressure.

Since your husband is travelling 4 hrs every day; can you balance work and life?

Difficult.

If you take this new job and it enhances your career, can you be the breadwinner?
    This job will enhance my career. But I can not be the bread winner. I'll reach half of what he is earning. I am not even earning that now.

Topaz49 likes this.
  10. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Guess if you read your own words here, it answers to your original question

shravs3, Angela123 and Topaz49 like this.