1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Take a break.. let's have a FRAGRANCE chat

Discussion in 'Cosmetics & Makeups' started by honeybee, Apr 10, 2012.

1. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

say hello to aloe

Fragrance oils,aloe combination in soaps

Aloe vera (sotru katrrazhai in tamil) is known for its hydrating and replenishing properties.Using aloe gel and related in beauty is fairly a new concept.Consuming aloe pulp has been a regular feature for ages in countryside.

I was once offered aloe pulp whan I was a kid and was told that it tastes just like tendercoconut pulp (Ilaneer vazhukkai).It found it bland..but till date never got a second chance to taste it.

Aloe and essential oils combo gives a fresh fragrance,now effectively used in soaps.These soaps give a heavenly subtle aroma and rejuvenates the skin,making it supple. I have used aloe veda soaps and it tops my priority list.

Here's the link
    www.aloeveda.com

Organic soaps make use of beeswax + fragrance oil combination and they are superb :thumbsup

2. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

health and healing with fragrances

Essential fragrance oils in healthcare-Aroma therapy
    Essential oils diluted using a suitable base oil are useful in treating a variety of health issues right from common cold,headaches to more complex issues like nervous disorders.
    Hot compress with lavender oil is very effective in relieving premenstrual syndrome.
    Cold compress with. teatree,geranium,rose,chamomile oils is very effective in treating burns.

Some easily available oils and their benefits (local application)
    1.Eucalyptus oil is the most recommended oil to treat cold,fever,headache and due to its anti inflammatory properties is widely preferred in treating rheumatism,muscular pains,sprains,aches.

2.Peppermint:A very refreshing oil,skin friendly and used for treating sun burns,inflammation.

3.Sandalwood oil: native to India is universally used for scars,acnes & blemishes ,also used as an anti perspirant and for its cooling effect.

Rose,lavender ,frank incense,ylang ylang are used in relieving anxiety and stress,can be used in diffusers to create a tranquil ambience.

Oils - oral intake
    Cinnamon,cardomom,clove,fennel,pepper,nutmeg,ginger... these oils can be used to relieve issues related to the imbalances occuring in the digestive system in a broad sense.Aroma oils can be administered in small doses for treating nausea,indigestion,flatulence,diarrhoea under the supervision or prescription from a qualified aroma therapist.

Example
    fennel oil,peppermint for indigestion.
    lemon,orange to suppress nausea.

note:
    Cinnamon oil to be avoided in case of stomach ulcer.
    clove oil to reduce tooth pain temporarily (local application).

Isn't it interesting to note that our indian cooking makes use of a combination of the above spices in its whole form judiciously in day to day cooking? :thumbsup We emphasise on overall well being,than treating symptoms on occurence.
    Oral intake of Castor oil has been a practice for centuries.Castor is a universal healer.

On a personal note: I have been /am using thulasi oil (2-3 drops) in warmwater (1 cup) when I land a severe cold.It's very effective in phlegm removal and cold cures faster.Thulasi liberates a lot of heat... it has to dissolve the mucous afterall.The oil can be used for a max of 2 times a day and not more than 2 days at a stretch.

3. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

fragrances - general chat

Inspired by ILite brahan's reply that she loves natural flowers and Shanvy's mention of "marikozhundhu", I felt like chatting on fragrant flowers available in India.
    During my brief stay in US for about a year I missed flowers on festive occassions and my Indian neighbour said "Please don't expect fragrant flowers like what we get in India,here we buy bouquets and use the flowers for puja".:)

The array of fragrant flowers blooming in our country,some during the respective season and some all throught the year is a visual feast.
    It is atleast a century old habit... women adorn their hair with fragrant flowers... natural perfumes.
    Javvadu,Athar were meant for the men.

The jasmine and flowers of similar type... picchi,sampanki,jathimalli,pavazhamalli (the fragrant small flowers with orange stalk) are a woman's delight. The seasonal specials like champaka flowers,manoranjitham (has a fruity smell-it smells divine),magizhampoo (small white/brown),thazhampoo are native to India.It is a common belief that the gods &goddesses love scented flowers and hence they are peferred the most during the pujas.

Thazhampoo is a flower in great demand during varalakshmi pooja.It's costly too.I had a brief chat with my Aunt in law almost 80 years old now and she fondly recollected how her mom used to plait her hair and decorate it with thazhampoo jadai on fridays.It was considered an exotica those days,today it is a tale of the past glory..

Flowers and spiritualism
    The right ambience creates a sense of bhakthi..agarbathis,flowers,sambrani etc.
    it's interesting to note that gods have their favourite flowers too..
    Lord Shiva- nagalingapoo
    Krishna- vrukshi/thecchi (malayalam)
    A song begings thus... thecchi mantharam thulasi....
    Lakshmi- lotus
    Ganesh-mantharai

Fragrances have been a part and parcel of our Lives.The pleasant smell is de- stressing.Fragrances also have a traditional touch... For any auspicious occassion the guests are welcomed at the entrance with a spray of rosewater,sandal paste and flowers, floral decoration on the stage is a symbol of happiness and is a pleasure to watch.

It's not just flowers that adorn dieties.. there are secretions from animals that are used in spiritual practices & perfumery too.The gods are also offered punugu (extracted from a variety of cat),gorojana ( from cow's stomach) and musk (from deer) is a premium perfume/scent..

** since I am not familiar with the names of flowers in other regional languages I stuck on to the tamil names.***:bonk

4. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

fragrances - some pointers

Some Essential oils are photo-toxic .(ie.they cause skin problems and allergic reactions when exposed to direct sunlight or excessive light.)
    Examples
    Ginger
    orange,lemon
    patchouli
    bergamot

To avoid during pregnancy
    basil,thyme
    rosemary,fennel

Most essential oils trigger skin irritation when used directly,so dilution is a must and so also skin patch test.Prolonged use of a particular oil can lead to a build up of toxins in the body,hence keep changing frequently.

oils to be avoided during long distance drive
    (It relaxes you when you need to be alert :))

chamomile
    lavender
    sandalwood
    rose
    geranium

Oils to be avoided when on homeopathic treatment
    These oils neutralise/nullify the effect
    Camphor
    black pepper
    eucalyptus

SPA culture has become very popular these days in India.There are head to toe massages which may require half a day,if you are strapped for time.. footspa is the ultimate choice.There are bridal packages too which lend health & glow to the bride.
    My recent visit to Spencer's plaza Health & Glow outlet gave me a pleasant surprise... The shop was dominated by male customers who were enthusiastically enquiring about the various products and wanted product recomendations too for their skin type...:thumbsup So beauty consciousness is universal.:exactly:
    Some more interesting links..
    www.aromamagic.com
    www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/himalayaherbals.htm

I have ample faith in ayurvedic remedies,natural cure,usage of natural beauty and healthcare products.I have made a gradual,conscious switch-over to natural perfumes and fragrances.It promotes a sense of overall well being and enables us to remain in a pleasant mood always.:2thumbsup:
    Now what's your choice?
    Let's go green!

5. brb_va

brb_va Gold IL'ite

(i) My favourite perfume is Winter Candy Apple Body Splash from bath and Body works, and it has the same flavoured moisturiser too! It has a fruity fragrance and its just amazing
    (ii) My favourite aromatic oil is lavendar / rosemary on a lamp

1 person likes this.
  6. Aruna972

Aruna972 Bronze IL'ite

Re: Beauty care with fragrances

When it comes to fragrances, I absolutely love the smell of sandal in anything. My soap has the scent of sandal and my perfume has a light floral fragrance because I don't like heavy perfumes. I believe in applying a soothing body lotion than applying perfume. Off late, I have been using Parachute advansed body lotion summer fresh that has the smell of coconut. I apply it soon after my bath and the fragrance stays on my body for quite sometime.