1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Syllabus for the small kids

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by umasridharan, Aug 7, 2008.

1. umasridharan

umasridharan Senior IL'ite

My daughter Brindha is 5 yrs old and she is in I std. Tamil, English, Environmental science, Maths, English Grammar and Gk for a 5 yr old kid. The lessons r big with long sentences and words.

I don’t think the kids can understand wee bit of the lessons and grammar until they reach 3<SUP>rd</SUP> std or 4<SUP>th</SUP> std. Most of the kids including my daughter by heart the whole lot and wrote the tests and exams without understanding.

Even though the teachers are very understanding and never torture the kids, but they make the kids write the exams. I think it is too much burden for these small kids.

Regards
    Uma

2. lathaa

lathaa Bronze IL'ite

Hi Uma

I think a 5yr old should be in upper primary,as my son is of same age too.For him its all basics like introduction of numbers(1-100),number names,three letter english words and from this yr on they have language,for him its Telugu,where he has to learn alphabets,along with some music classes and extra curicullar activities.

I guess she is under age for class 1,few kids can get over even if they are under the age,but most of the time it can be lot of pressure for them.

bye
    lathaa

3. umasridharan

umasridharan Senior IL'ite

Dear Lathaa
    Thanks for ur prompt reply. Most of my daughters' classmates are of that age only. They are managing with the curriculam and score good marks also.But I think it is too much for small kids.
    Regards
    Uma

4. lathaa

lathaa Bronze IL'ite

Hi Uma

Good to know that your daughter is doing well in school,may be the cut off date for joining varies from school to school.As my son is of same age as yours,thought to share my views.As i said in my earlier post, few kids might pick up very well in subjects but all might not have the same IQ levels and its definitely burden them at this tender age.

Thanks for the post you have started as it made me think the pros and cons on this matter.

bye,
    lathaa

5. vidhss

vidhss New IL'ite

My DD is 5.9 years old and she is in UKG. She is a Nov Born. We are in Bangalore and she goes to a CBSE school

She has numbers from 101 onwards... (1 - 100 she did in LKG). Alphabets - a -z *cursive writing and Hindi alphabets... This is her curriculum... + she has other activities like dance, music, sports, theme play and other concepts.

I am happy about the curriculum and I guess kids should be treated as kids at least in their young age... kids are forced to learn so many things.... bonk

6. 24sumalatha

24sumalatha New IL'ite

Hi i am Suma from Hyderabad.
    My son is 3.6 years Old.I want to Join him to the School.
    Can Any one suggest which school to join (CBSE or State Board) & what is the Syllabus for UKG(CBSE).:)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009