1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

switching from pediasure to regular milk...

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by breeze01, Apr 16, 2014.

1. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

AS you all might have read from my earlier post that I been trying to switch over my son from pediasure to regular milk good god he is not drinking at all... I just give him one cup of milk he doesn't even finish half of that I don't know If its like this in the beginning help me moms.... at first I gave him almond milk as its low in calories as suggested by other moms I switched over to regular milk and as he use to drink strawberry flavor pediasure I started adding little strawberry syrup didn't work out, then I finally got the rock sugar I gave him last night he keep telling me excuses not to drink it I don't know if its because he got hurt on upper lip last night thatswhy he doesn't want to drink it.. or what... I am getting tired of making him drink milk....

MY concern now is... IS it okay to give him juice at night as it wont be too much problem... I don't give him store bought juice I make it at home and give it... so far I give him carrot,apple.... watermelon juice... thatsit... I feed him his dinner by 7.... and give him some water he will be eating little bit of something before he go to sleep from 9 till 7 in the morning not drinking any milk no water even... I am worried about him getting dehydrated.................. tellme all what I should be doing... usually I give him milk at his bedtime and sometimes if he asks in the middle of the night and in the morning around 6.................. now he doesn't drink at all................what I should be doing................ help me.........

2. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Maybe you could try mixing the pediasure with the milk? Do an 80-20 mix first so that the pediasure taste is still strong, and as the weeks go by, change the ratio till the pediasure is minimum and milk is more. Let him see you adding the pediasure in the cup and not the milk. We did this when shifting my son from formula to milk and it worked.

For many kids its the mental belief that one is better than the other. Many times I have given my son 2% milk instead of Vit D milk and he has drunk it, but if he sees me pouring the 2% milk he will decide that he does not like it.

Hope this helps you.

2 people like this.
  3. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

is it okay with pediasure and regular milk adding?????, I never did that... if its okay I will be more than glad to give a try because night time is the only time when he will drink milk....

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Breeze, I am 99% sure it is ok. But you can just call up the doctor's office and ask a nurse to be 100% sure.

1 person likes this.
  5. nalinidiv

nalinidiv Platinum IL'ite

pediasure itself says ... dat it can be mixed with regular milk below 35C...

1 person likes this.
  6. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

7. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

Is that right I never read all the way thru......will check it again...

8. Merlyn11

Merlyn11 Bronze IL'ite

How old is he?..If he is below 2yrs include formula,there is toddler formula available.Otherwise if he drinks water just give it as it is during night . Include other forms of calcium and vitamin d in his diet.If you want to give regular milk you can make juices with milk also like mango juice(1mango+1cup milk),avocado juice etc.My kid just loves it.Add milk to every juice you make.
    His pediatrician asked us to stop giving milk at night (bed time)even before 1yr old.
    We now gives milk only if he asks for it but no milk after brushing teeth.if he is thirsty we just give plain water.

1 person likes this.
  9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is better to avoid juice in the night. Fruits have natural sugars which may cause cavities.

I stopped BFing my DD when she was 22 months old. After that for a period of 6 months or so she did not have anything to drink post dinner at 7. She was not dehydrated.

2 people like this.
  10. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi, he is above 2 yr old.... he is not taking plain milk so last night got some pediasure mixed up with regular milk and gave him... he didn't finish cup ful at night but he did finish in the morning guess he might be hungry.... I will make sure to use some milk in juice.... will try and give him... lets see how it works...