1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Swimming - Q & A

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Angeli, Jun 1, 2005.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Re: Does swimming help for weight loss

Happywoman:
    Check with either your local YMCA or YWCA or with your municipal recreation dept. Ask them about adult swim classes (if you go with the kids it will be mayhem). They usually will have courses of some number of session for a set price. This would be your best alternative unless you are a student and can learn swimming as a physical education elective. They will have the courses on certain Red Cross certification levels and if you can pick that up do it. If you ever go for more advanced swimming or even to get a job as a lifeguard youi will need that.

Shilpa77: Congrats on learning to swim. Have you practiced floating? If not, I think you should. Motion of arms and legs should not be required to keep from drowning and floating is very helpful in a real life emergencies where you need to be in the water for a long period of time. Its also really great to just lay back on your back in the summer in a pool or lake and just watch the sky for a while....very restful.

2. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

tashidelek2002,

Thanks for your note.!. I can float on my back.. it is just a matter of confidence to do itt. I was able to swim on my back while the instructor was around... but a little scary to practice.. Am surely trying it.. I think it just a matter of time & practice...

It is very much fun and exciting to be in the water !!

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Shilpa:
    Successful floating is really a mental exercise of letting go of fear and of clearing the mind for deep relaxation. Sinking is a product of anxiety: dead bodies naturally float so we can see that the human body naturally floats (if you are overweight even more so : ) ). Try and clear the your mind of your fears. It is a helpful talent to acquire that can be used in other areas of your life.

1 person likes this.