1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Swimming - Q & A

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Angeli, Jun 1, 2005.

1. NidhiA

NidhiA Junior IL'ite

Re: Does swimming help for weight loss

Thanks for the reply. Will try swimming.

2. NidhiA

NidhiA Junior IL'ite

Swimming - best classes available

What is the best way to learn swimming for adults in US? I see it offered by the county parks here in rec centers, which seems to be less expensive than fitness centers, but not sure if it would take long that way to get trained in swimming. I want to loose weight and tone up and that is the main goal. So which way is the best to learn and exercise also? I do not know any swmiing right now. Thanks for the advise

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Re: Swimming - best classes available

The YMCA or YWCA are good. Also some municipalities have swimming classes through rec depts.

4. pushparamireddy

pushparamireddy New IL'ite

Hi vidya,

I know swimming and when i was in Bangalore i used to go to swimming that time i was reduced my weight, body shape came very properly but i became dark.But it is very good excercise for weight reducing.One more thing when u start flipping your legs and hands from that day onwards weight will be reduced.Dont worry about age .Anyone can do it.I too planning to go swimming and need to reduce my weight.

Thanks
    Pushpa

5. tashidelek2002

Swimming is recommended as a safe way to get in shape with no risk to joints. I personally know a lot of women who got incredibly beautiful bodies by routine lap swimming. Not to worry about getting dark if you use an indoor pool. Places like YMCA/YWCA with pools also have adult swim classes and instructors so you can perfect your swimming in case you are not an advanced swimmer. Additionally, swimming can be very relaxing to the mind during your exercise.

1 person likes this.
  6. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Happywoman,

Swimming is great exercise! Especially with summer just around the corner lots of people will be heading towards the pool for fun and exercise.

If you are worried about your hair becoming dull or faded because of the chlorine chemicals, rinse your hair with water before getting in the pool. When your hair becomes saturated with the fresh water, it is less able to absorb the chemical water from the pool! :thumbsup

7. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

I oil myself lightly with baby oil before going for a swim in the pool.... Even my hair.

It helps me... but is it good?

8. tashidelek2002

I don't think you are supposed to oil yourself if you are using a pool. It messes up the mechanics of the pool filtering system.

There are special shampoos that you use after swimming in chlorinated water. It neutralizes the chlorine so it doesn't mess up your hair so much. Also you should wash out your suit asap as the chlorine damages the elasticity of the suit. You might also look for pools that use chemicals other than cholorine for bacteria control.

9. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

I didnt know that there could be other chemicals used to control bacteria other than chlorine.
    Friends, are there any one out here who has learnt swimming on their own? In US, how many classes a person is recommended to take and what could be the reasonable charges per hour which we could pay?

vani

10. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

If you haven't been in the water before. ... minimum of 5 classes is recommended...

I've always loved swimming but did not know how to swim.. Took private lesson to just get the fear of being in the water and learn the breathing techniques and hand feet movements.

It feels so great.. defenitely helps in weight loss and helps in toning our muscles..It does show a difference because it is a full body workout.. You have to swing your arms, feet and breathe all at the same time... Even if one of actions is forgotten , we sink!!.. cannot cheat !!!:idea

What is required is sincere practice. while taking lessons.. otherwise it is difficult to develop a breathing pattern..

Right now ..I'm able to swim one lap ( with breaks...) .. I go 2-3 times a week.. Do not want to overdo things you see!!...Will get to continous lap swimming one day!....

Happy swimming!!

Shilpa.