1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Memories

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Jun 29, 2019.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Yaad na jaye bheethe dinoki jake na aaye jo din
    dil kyo bhulaye , dil kyo bhulaye

Cant forget the lovely school days, working days , cant imagine I worked for 38 memorable years, so many friends, so many bosses, young and old, so many birthdays,so many farewells(for birthdays and farewells I was told to select the card and buy), the picnics weenjoyed with the colleagues and bosses with our family. When we used to have housie in the picnics I had also won. Those train experiences when we used to get the fourth seat in the mornings and that too very rare, the fightings in the train of those who stand at the footboard. Twenty five years in train and after my hip bone fracture in contract bus for 10 yrs are so. In contract bus also we had competitions among the three buses when they completed 10 yrs .Most of the time one mama used to bring snacks for us. During Navrathri we visited his house. The first Navratri in the contract bus I invited everyone to my house and they all came int he evening.That was an unforgettable event.We used to play some games in the evening in the contract bus ,also housie, many timeI have one housie, we used to order for snacks and have. My fiftieth birthday was celebrated grand in the bus, evening cake cutting was also there.

So many sweet memories are there which cant be forgotten

2. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

@iyerviji , World few years back was wonderful where even casual travel companions for few minutes used to be life long friends. Now we work as colleagues with many for many years but the emotional bond doesn't exist. My wife wants to celebrate our twins' first birthday in a grand scale but our guest list probably will be just few families we meet regularly. I or her spend more time in workplace interacting with colleagues on a daily basis but since they don't invite us for their personal celebrations , wife says it would be odd to invite for ours as they might misconstrue our invitation.

iyerviji and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

In a world which is so different from the one we grew up in and the one we have lived through, memories are helpful to keep us going.

iyerviji and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Thanks to your in detail rail journey commuting which is quite nostalgic for me . Kudos to your wonderful memory. How is that they are still green in your memory. Awesome indeed.

2. In mumbai trains regular commuters from long distance suburb arrive to station half an hour before with their lunch box, cymbals, harmonium and flute and travel in opp direction in train and after reaching terminus same train would return to Victoria terminus. I used to enjoy this group bhajan for almost an hour from Dombivali to Mumbai VT now Chatrapathi Shivaji . Many of the have become regular friends exchanging Prasad and invite as and when they conduct bhajan in their own homes or flats. These contacts were very useful in getting jobs for my friends’ children in later years.

3. In long distance journeys, I with intent to identify and befriend genuine co-passengers followed easiest method: that is to share your par parcelled food, or and offer any purchase of food items from vendors for them. Their children would be engaged in Antakshari in Hindi and tamil Cine songs or and few card games and tricks.

4. Once as a bachelor while travelling in express to then Bombay for an interview with atomic energy from Chennai, a male co passenger from a distant seat watching me happily hobnobbing for a good fifty percent of the journey. While buying evening coffee from a vendor at platform at Mantralayam railway station, he came close to me with a smile he offered one of the two cups of coffee from his hands and said “ Sir, how is that you are able to tell pertinent jokes to others and all passengers in your wing were having hearty laugh since departure at chennai central.”

I was taken aback and followed his introduction and that he was going back to Kuwait and purpose of his visit to then Madras. He mentioned of his disappointment of broken engagement and marriage fixed for his only graduated bank employed sister. He desired some references for better alliance for his sister. Very politely he asked me of my bios and reluctantly I gave my guarded response. Then he took out a black & White photograph of his sister from a wallet and a carbon copy of typewritten horoscope of his sister mentioning nativity etc. and handed it to me to for consideration of my parents.

When I forwarded it to my parents, they responded to me that girl has been short listed already.

5. Delayed departure of train journeys too sometimes turn interesting, upset future programmes or itinerary. A narration of one such experience available in the link below:
    Farewell With Fruits & Knife To Save Thirumangalyam (mangalsutra)

Thanks and Regards.

God bless the travellers via Indian railways.

iyerviji likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:grinning-smiley-048:
    They too must be thinking in the same way as your spouse do. Someone has to make a beginning.
    :hello:I for one interested in enlarging my friend circle and believe such friendships stitched in time pay rich dividends in the long run, would not hesitate to extend invitation to genuine friends in office as well as outside office.
    God’s succour can come in disguise- it could be your friend.

iyerviji likes this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viji Madam,
    Sweet memories and hope for future keep a person going on in life.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  7. iyerviji

Thanks for your first feedback. Very true. Now a days all are busy with their own families

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. iyerviji

Very true dear. Sorry for the late reply

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. iyerviji

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. iyerviji

Thanks Syamala