Swad curry powder

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by eternalindia, Jan 22, 2012.

1. eternalindia

eternalindia Junior IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Do any of you know what is in the SWAD curry powder sold in the Indian grocery stores? They don't list the ingredients on their package and I am having no luck searching for it online. I have a feeling there is black pepper in this and my stomach does not feel too happy after I eat a lot of black pepper :spin so I think I need to make my own home made powder, though as much as I love the SWAD version.

Curry powder I have heard is the alternative name for garam masala. Is that true?

Will anyone share their own recipes for home made curry powder? Would love to read them.

2. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

According to this site: Swad Curry Powder Nutrition Information | ShopWell
    the main ingredients of Swad curry powder are: Fenugreek, Nutmeg, Clove, Coriander, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Salt, Red Chili, Dry Ginger, Mace, Garlic Powder, Turmeric, Asafoetida.

Curry powder and Garam Masala are not the same, garam masala usually has cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, pepper, nutmeg, and cloves.

There are many recipes online for curry powder, just google "how to make curry powder". I haven't a recipe, as I don't use the stuff, just grind the whole spices as needed.

3. eternalindia

eternalindia Junior IL'ite

thanks cissyboo! I will use those ingredients and try to make my own from it.

If any ladies have their own recipes and share, would still love to see! :)

4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi eternal india...
    You can search it in Ask Chitvish forum in our very own IL and hers is tried tested and liked by all ILites inclusive of me..