1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Support group for losing weight

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by pooja, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Vijee, You relieved Me..

Hi Vijee,

Your posting actually gave me some relief ! I was worried that I might have given misleading information to the group !

As I said earlier and as pointed out by you, this diet program works little different, it insists on continuous eating, starting with fruits, veggies etc and only much later small quantities of rice...So that was an encouraging factor for me when I tried this diet.

As you said, one has to be cautious not to overfeed themselves due to the exhaustion caused during the program and also, your body starts carving for food after the program is over and one tends to overeat and compensate for the weight lost during the program. This is what I typically did ! :cry:

Even now, I only emphasise, whoever is serious about weight loss, do so, choosing the method of your choice (be it diet or exercise) and do it with complete involvement and dedication and not just because someone did it or you have been forced to do it. Being positive while carrying your weight loss program also matters ! and don't expect to see the results overnite. Your body would definitely show gradual signs of weight loss , if you're very meticulous in whatever you're doing.

This time when I make a trip to India, I am planning to learn yoga and do regular yoga once am back !

Regards,
    Preethi

2. jyothisathvika

jyothisathvika New IL'ite

Hi

Hi! Preethi,

Thanks a million. I've got it.

I shall try.

Regards,
    Jyothi

3. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Hi Geeta,
    It was a successful in my case. I request you to do it regularly.
    And Vijee and Heena,
    I have migraine. But since twenty five days I am continuously fasting..No headaches!

4. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Agree with you Preethi

And I forgot to mention about the status of my Migraine yesterday. As safa mentioned, I used to have migraine and I recently started on a fasting once a week for prayers. Surprisingly I did not get the migraine even though I take only fruits once. May be it is in some degree connected with our subconscious mind..I suppose!

And yes the breathing technic helps in reducing the tummy. One important tip is not to sleep in the afternoons -after lunch. Also have your dinner as early as possible and give time for the food to digest before you go to bed. (In the beginning you will be hungry after 2 hours at night. Pls..NEVER munch on buiscuits/bread/sweets. They are the culprits. If really necessary munch on a carrot/tomatos.) This really helps. My experience. Also eat lots of cabbage...it reduces the fat also. I take cabbage 4 days a week. The horsegram/Kollu recipies by Chitvish is a must try for weight watchers.

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hello Everyone,

I too started off with some kind of a weight loss prog, but with advice from doctors and their prog. Just wanted to mention that like the GM diet that Preethi has mentioned, it had detox prog for first 2 days and i was asked to drink some liquid with heir powder mixed which had all the necessary vitamins etc, 5 times and for 2 days, thats it...nothing at all.....but though th efirst day was tough, that too for a person who has never tried fasting etc...the second day was great, i was not tempted to eat at all, and i could move about not feeling exhausted. Then i had to continue with 1 time meal of around 500 calories and the other meal was their powder.....but of course this costed money and they monitored my ht wt ratio and gave me the inputs....
    idid manage for about a month and i had lost about 4 to 5 kgs.....except i did not go ack to get those powders, they are expensive. I also realised that i could cut down on my eating habits and could monitor my intake, so i am still maintaing that weight, though i need to reduce lots more. Waiting to start this GM diet to kickstart, after Diwali....
    So i just wanted to add that we have to not loose heart....eat moderately, get out of our minds , the psychological fears , apprehensions etc.....DRINK PLENTY OF WATER OR LIQUIDS(this keeps out the headaches and fatigue to a larger extent) and do exercises also.
    I am sure we will all succeed , if we encourage each other!
    And ladies thanks for all the sharing! Keep it rocking!

6. santha248

santha248 New IL'ite

To Loose Weight

Hi I am also here to join the team. But is it possible for me to join the team with my ostrioarthritis problems.
    Includes me also in your team ok
    Thank you
    santha:wave

7. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

for losing weight..

Dear Ladies,

Somehow I missed this thread all this time. What I do is ( I can't say that I am very slim like Shahana ) , but always maintain my weight. Only in the recent days, I put on about 4-5 kilos and suddenly realised that I have to lose weight.
    What I started doing was to drink water in empty stomach (about 3 glasses) and it sure helps in many ways. First it might give you a headache but clears up slowly. Or as Shahana said take 1 glass first and then slowly increase it.
    Like wise drink water before every meal , eat nuts when you feel like munching something, avoid soft drinks and fried foods. If you have to eat outside garbage food , reduce the intake. Do not stop it because you'll double the amount later.
    The craze will return.
    Walk for half an hour in the night before going to sleep.
    Within a fortnight I lost 2 kilos. If I can you can also do it.

Why don't you give a try??
    Latha :wave

8. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

exercise with osteoarthritis

Hi Santha,

You can do pranayama method of breathing. That'll help you with your sickness also. Drinking water and walking also you can do.

If you do not have any orther complications like cholestrol or diabetes ,you can take nuts regularly. A handful of nuts daily will help your illness .

Latha :wave

9. bhavish524

bhavish524 New IL'ite

Bharathi

Dear Preethi/ or any body who has tried the GM program.
    I am on day three today. So far I have lost 11 pounds. And feel ver light and energetic. Th only problem i have is when i cook some of my favourite dishes for my family to eat.

In the GM plan, it says we need to consume 6 tomatoes on the 5 day. Is is ok to consume tomatoes before that(I have used it in my salads). Also please advise how to go about eating so many. I was thinking of making tomato rice and eating. any suggestions?
    Also I was wondering if you can have any curds - I make it with skimmed milk.

Feast day where you can have rice, can we also have other regular stuff like vegetable and sambar?

Please clarify as to what you did.

Thanks
    Bharathi

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  10. AmericanBiwi

AmericanBiwi New IL'ite

Me too!

I've just recently begun trying to lower my weight. I've lost 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks, but I still need to lose about 40 more.

I've been using this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Insulin-Resis...2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3819057-3656768?ie=UTF8

because I also have health issues (such as VERY high triglycerides and a family history of diabetes) and it seems to be really working. The idea is that you have only 30 grams of starchy carbs per meal or snack and you balance them with at least 14 grams of protein at each snack or meal.

What this means is I usually have only 1 roti and about 1/3 cup of rice with an Indian meal. That takes a little getting used to, but I feel better when I eat this way. I have more energy.

Anyway, good luck, and I'll keep an eye on this forum for pointers!

Jennie (aka Janki)