1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Superstitious? Who Me?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by creativemind23, Jul 31, 2016.

1. creativemind23

creativemind23 Silver IL'ite

It’s a bright sunny morning. I am trying to snake out my cycle from the traffic when a lady comes chasing me from behind. She is determined to sell me the lemon, topped with chillies thing…to hang on the front of my cycle.
    No thank you I say to myself. But she continues to follow me. I pedal up quickly, just in time to break out from her sight. No wonder I am thinking of superstitions today!

Like everything else, I googled it when I got home. Dictionary.com says that superstition is a belief that is “not based on reason or knowledge.” It can also be an irrational fear.

While I looked up the internet I found examples of a horseshoe nailed above a doorway for good luck, black cats are bad luck and do not walk under a ladder come up as top findings in my search.

I have been superstitious many times, though I know it is silly. Like touching the locket I have been wearing from my childhood, using the same pen to write all my exam papers!! I do not know anyone who talks of their superstitions openly but I like to believe that many people, why? Almost everyone has them locked inside their closets in a tiny secret chamber. I know it is not scientific. In today’s age of modernization and tech savvy living, where is the place for superstition you may ask? But you know it’s just one of those things you just cannot help but do!

I think almost everyone holds on to some absurd belief. Only the ones close to them know about it. Most people will deny it, it is stupid after all. But something tells me everyone from celebrities such as actors, sportspersons, politicians, public figures to the person living next door, everyone is superstitious about at least one thing. It’s just a tight secret that they will never let out!! What do you think?A

sindmani and Sairindhri like this.

2. Sairindhri

Sairindhri Gold IL'ite

Nice write up!

Ha Ha, I was laughing at one thing, you had written which has some role in my life as well. Not that I wanted but because of In laws had to do it.

BTW it is true, that to a certain extent superstitions have always played a role in my life as well. Even though I know it is absurd and can't be rationalized still, not sure how to overcome it. Possible explanation could be how we have been brought up and if some untoward incidences had occured as a result, we tend to link the dots. Linking such things can have disastrous results. So maybe should be more rational in thinking hereafter!:eek::rolleyes:o_O:lol:

creativemind23 and sindmani like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

No to superstition! I don't believe it and don't do anything.... Here Friday the 13th is considered most unlucky and I have heard that many skyscrapers don't have 13th floor at all ....

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

It is a common opinion that people in rural areas have more superstitious beliefs. In my experience I find more of such beliefs in Chennai city.My grandma born in 1860 was famous for her modern thinking and she was hailed as puratchi patti kaamini in those days. My parents too believed only things subject to reasoning.
    I have seen so many post graduates have some silly beliefs unrelated to their education.Some say that their intellects do not agree, yet their hearts persuade them to become victims to certain faiths.
    For some persons, following certain superstitious customs gives them some peace of mind ,other wise they become terribly upset.No reasoning or argument can help them deviate.It is better to leave them go their own way.
    Those politicians who advocate 'reasoning ' in all public meetings have senseless superstitions in their private lives.

Jayasala 42

5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

i don't have any.

not to dishearten you, do count the following as superstitions:

brushing, bathing, grooming, eating, sleeping - i follow a few on these lines :)

creativemind23, Sairindhri and jskls like this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao:

creativemind23 and GoogleGlass like this.
  7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear cm23,
    I think there is difference between superstition and sentimental value.
    Sentimental value forms out of emotion or attachment to certain things, places and even songs. In fact there is a very thin line in differentiating superstition and sentiment.
    Same Superstition could be accepted by many whereas sentiment is personal.
    I also don' t believe superstitions.
    PS

8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I dont believe in superstitions. But using same lucky pen for exams , I did. So yes unknowingly we become sentimental or superstitious

creativemind23 likes this.
  9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Nowadays I see a lot of men and women wearing yellow, black and red coloured threads around their wrist to ward off evil. I see even men applying Kajal to their eyes and sporting copper khada on their hands. Well, I do not believe in superstitions.

Agatha83

10. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

for most, Khada is a fashion statement..being funky.
    But kajal and men..Gosh! lol

I can't think of anything superstitious I follow but yes like Pushpa aunty said, I have few sentimental things.