Superstitions; my interpretation.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Megalife, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

From acorn bringing in luck to making efforts to blowout in one full puff all the candles on your birthday cake so as to ensure you get your wish, superstitions have ruled our emotional response from times unknown. Superstition in the book sense is a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception!
    I recently hit an article on the net which put in plain words certain astounding info. More than 80 percent of high-rises lack a 13th floor, several airports skip the 13th gate, airplanes have no 13th aisle, hospitals and hotels regularly have no room number 13.To get a bit more creepy, Italians omit the number 13 from their national lottery. On streets in Florence, Italy, the house between number 12 and 14 is addressed as 12 and a half :)biglaugh). As a part of my candid year-end confessions, I have to admit that in some circumstances, regardless of all intellect and discipline, I have been influenced into accept old wives tales, folklore, bizarre beliefs, taboos and omens.
    And as it goes on,” if your nose itches you will soon be kissed by a:kiss fool”, my nose did itch and I was kissed by my DH….so now the question…is he a fool??? Well may be (( ;-) )) since he put up with this hoodwink for the past so many years!!!!! They say, a knife placed under the bed during childbirth will ease the pain of labor, I did keep a whole set of carving knives, cooks knives, bread knives, table knives and even a dragger under the hospital mattress but I went through hell in my long hours of labor. As a young girl, I toiled for days to catch a ladybug and then releases it, (they said the direction in which it flies away would be the direction from which my future husband would come on a horseback.)…..I looked and looked for several years in that direction until my eyes ached!!!....and then comes my DH from exactly the opposite direction; without a horse and just his back-pack :bonk. “To dream of a lizard is a sign that you have a secret enemy”, I see so many of them (live…eeekss) in my DADs ancestral home…what does that mean???...(((I have an army of foes ?//???!!!).It is unlucky to see your face in a mirror by candlelight, this I accept; obviously you’ll look so ugly in the fading light! I attempt to caramelize onions which in turn char and burn to a coal ..…but then I remember that “A wish will come true if you make it while burning onions.”….and I continue to burn onions and make wishes!!!
    And recently my little daughter gave me a tipoff,”” if you use the same pencil to take a test that you used for studying for the test, the pencil will remember the answers.”””….OMG, and all this while I thought that she did well at school because she was a diligent student :spin???...was I wrong once again??? All my years at school and university taught me that sneeze was usually caused by foreign particles irritating the mucosa membrane of the nose or due to an infection, but imagine when I glanced at all this on a SNEEZE!!! “Place a hand in front of your mouth when sneezing. Your soul may escape otherwise” (( :)rotfl))) (I had thought that was to prevent spread of infection though droplets). Also, “the devil can enter your body when you sneeze” (will he leave at the next stronger sneeze is yet to be researched on :bangcomp:).Having someone say, "God bless you," drives the devil away. And if that is not enough information………….

If you sneeze on a Monday, you sneeze for danger;
    Sneeze on a Tuesday, kiss a stranger(wow!!!);
    Sneeze on a Wednesday, sneeze for a letter (I currently receive indefinite number of SMS/emails and surely don’t need more! :drowning))
    Sneeze on a Thursday, something better;
    Sneeze on a Friday, sneeze for sorrow;
    Sneeze on a Saturday, see your sweetheart tomorrow.
    Sneeze on a Sunday, and the devil will have domination over you all week.
    One for sorrow
    Two for joy
    Three for a letter
    Four for a boy.
    Five for silver
    Six for gold:banana
    Seven for a secret, never to be told
    With the gold prices soaring high, my advice when you sneeze try to make it 6 times in a row, pays off well for your effort!
    Now my New Year message to you “If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, you will have good luck all year. Three butterflies together mean good luck”…now don’t ask me where to find butterflies, leave alone white butterflies! Gives us one more reason to work towards conserving these beautiful vibrant creatures and prevent them from heading towards extinction! Wishing all of you a blessed and prosperous 2012, let us make a resolution to consolidate our efforts towards a sustainable environment!:partyMEGALIFE

8 people like this.

2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

megalife,as always a wonderful post..

3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Thank you and taking this opportunity in wishing you all happiness in the coming year!
    Mega

4. haagesummane

haagesummane Gold IL'ite

Meghaji,

Was there a crossing of black cat when you were wriing this article..?? no right..
    The best part of ur article is about the itching of th enose and ur daughter's tipoff...!!!! hilarious ones.
    We all were born and bought up amidst such superstitious. I was thinking of having a deal with hotels having room no 13 so that i can stay there by paying the minimum charges or no charges. Atleast it is better to let out than leaving it idle...!!
    I would heed ur advice for a 6 time sneeze in a row...Please be ready to pay me off in Gold if it is not working...!!!!!!

5. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

ha ha .. a good post.. megalife...

6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Haagesummane

Bet the two of us,
    Being the New yr's eve I won't lie: i tried it several times, it doesn't work! Thanks for the awesome FB....this post was actually an excuse to wish all of you a wonderful New year!
    Mega

7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear amunique
    Wishing u loads of "ha...ha...has" with ur loved ones in 2012!
    Mega

8. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

hilarious as usual mega :)

after reading your post...i rushed to the kitchen... sniffed pepper and sneezed 6 times (made sure my little one counted each sneeze to stop me at the sixth...i pinched my nose to stop it) ...today is thursday and i sneezed 6 times - now i am waiting for "something better" than "Gold" - platinum (????) to reach my doorstep :p If this works, I intend to buy pepper in loads and have the entire family sneezing....

and thanks for the tip for 2012 - i hve changed my lappy wallpaper, mobile phone wall paper to a picture of a white butterfly - (in this concrete jungle - that is the only chance of seeing a butterfly of any colour) and am going to hunt for a poster with a white butterfly or colourful butterflies - to hang it on my wall so that it is the first thing i see in the new year!!!

mind you i am not superstitious - no way - i am doing all this just in case - your ideas work :p :hide: :)

Heres wishing you a mega life and abundance of happiness, wealth and good luck in 2012.

1 person likes this.
  9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mansi
    Its always a delight to hear from you!
    Those wishes sound so sincere and true; wishing you and ur family a joyous 2012!
    Well coming to the gold part, I walk these days with my head hung down (looking for some gold which somebody might have dropped....the rising yellow metal prices have let me lose my moral and integrity)
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  10. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

lol sumitha and mega...