"super Blue Blood Moon" - Dont Miss It

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by vadapallisudha, Jan 31, 2018.

1. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Today evening there is going to be a great spectacle happening in the sky. The moon is going to be 30% brighter and 14% bigger. The rising moon at 6:21pm is going to be bigger and slightly more reddish in colour than we usually see it.
    It a "Blue moon" because its 2nd full moon of the month. On 2nd jan this yr, we saw a full moon and today its 2nd full moon.
    The "Super Blue Blood Moon is a phenomenon which occurs once in 150 yrs. So get on to roof tops towards eastern horizon and enjoy the beautiful moon. The eclipse lasts a lil more than 1hr. Last time the Super blue blood moon occurred in dec 1982 in Asia , which means it happening after 35yrs for Indians.
    Super Blue Blood Moon is a rare phenomenon and it shouldnt be missed.

madatmanoj and iamsrihere like this.

2. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

yeah..we did enjoy seeing it.

3. BerryPine

BerryPine Gold IL'ite

We witnessed the entire scene. So what are the superstitious and scientific beliefs/myths behind this eclipse?
    Ps;-Knowledge sharing,not to debate.

4. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    These r few things which r followed in our house as well as our neighbourhood since my childhood...
    People say that eating or drinking during the eclipse leads to indigestion. we were fed very early if the eclipse happens during working hrs. It always happends that we get more hungry when were told that food is only after certain period due to eclipse.
    Pregnant women were not allowed to move out of their homes during eclipse.
    Bath after eclipse, cleansing of puja room( a mammoth task).
    No cooking, chopping during the eclipse.
    My grand mother used to make us sit and chant "Om Namah Shivaya" or "Om Narayanaya" telling that the mantras bring us lots of good luck when chanted during the eclipse.. she tells stories abt rahu kethu everytime.
    Till certain age we used to follow all these with great enthusiasm as it used to be a kind or ritual but as we learnt the scientific reasons behind eclipse, we used to tell it as story to my grandparents drawing diagrams:tongueout:.
    Today me and my 5yr old daughter witnessed the whole spectacle from our balcony.