1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sultan And My Grandpa

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

As I was surfing through the pages of the day’s edition of newspapers, more than the news items, it was those king style posters of Salman Khan, in his ‘Sultan’ image-baring his six pack abs, dressed in a simple loin cloth, displayed on the front pages, which caught my attention. I am sure there would have been scores of female fans, swooning over his brawny image, but I was a little embarrassed, since It reminded me about my childhood days where, I have silently witnessed my grandpa, traversing the entire house in his loincloth.

A second look at the towering image of ‘Sultan’, my mind raced back to the old days where the entire house resembled a noisy wrestling ring, members indulging in frequent fights including pins and locks, and my grandpa the mighty ’ Sultan’ pinching in to do his bit. So let’s take a peep in to this cranky wrestling ground and take a close look at the funny behaviour of its inmates.

My house had no welcome thorans to greet the visitors, but long ‘clothes line’ tied both inside and outside the house, decorated with an array of langots dancing merrily in the gentle breeze, which sure surprised the visitors to our house, but with a pinch of embarrassment. While moving inside the house, we had to to make a tight rope walk, and moving between the freshly washed langots, involved some exquisite balancing skills.

One day, when I found my noisy house exceptionally quiet - except for the twittering of the birds, it slowly dawned upon me that being a Saturday it was a holiday for me, my mum and my brother and the normal chores accompanying our schedule was absent.

But then in my state of slumber I saw my my grandpa striding impatiently between the drawing room and the front yard. He was getting ready with an array of bottles, of different hues and sizes, containing Aromatic oils on a platter, with a watchful eye on the gate. The cause of his restlessness hit me with a bang - UHhh ! a Saturday was an oil bath day! My grandpa scrupulously followed the adage “Sani neeradu” (If it is Saturday one must have an oil bath). So he was just waiting for our domestic help Palayam to help him get on with the ritualistic bath.

This Palayam was a middle aged buxom lady but what I feared most, was her devilish looks. Young as I was, her pan stained teeth, her unkempt hair hardly seen a comb even in better times, her crumpled saree and an eerie smile - every thing about her put me off from her. But being a humble person with a heart of gold she always hugged me tightly and kissed me whenever she came for work. I always tried to wriggle out of her clutch wiping off my cheeks with my palms. But many times being in a state of sleep, it was hard to escape her friendly smooch.

But this Palayam had a loyal admirer in my grandpa not for her looks but for the power she yielded through her hands! yes she was an excellent masseur and the blissful massage was all that my grand pa was craving for. Like a cabaret dancer he would remove his dhoti, banian and stand with a loin cloth , getting ready for the massage. Palayam with her usual chit chat followed the instructions of my grandpa , the oils to be used first and then last. Some of them exclusive for the use of his head while others meant for the body. With my grandpa lying down in a prone position she liberally applied the different oils, many of them emitting strong odour and started massaging.

With Palyam’s work over she drifted to other house hold chores. But then my grandpa not satisfied with all the massage would call me to stand upon his back and and amble slowly. Those days disrespect to elders was not heard of and any command had to be obeyed immediately. So crinkling my eyes with sleep I had to stand on his back which would be quite slippery due to the oils. Many times it was like a Zulu dance with slow steps and pounds which was quite a task with my unfinished sleep. For proper balancing I clutched dear walls for support and pressed his back. slowly. Another ten minutes, he left me to carry on my work, while getting ready fro his bath.

Meanwhile a huge cauldron of hot water using fire wood was readied for his bath. The intervening time was used in oiling his cycle which he meticulously carried out followed by a clean wipe of the cycle with a soft cloth. The cycle looked new and glistening in the shimmering morning rays.

After finishing his bath, with the help of my grandma, he wore a spotless white starched Veshti and kaddhar shirt and sported an angavasthriam, along with a splash of sacred ash on his fore head. Thus the Saturday ritual was complete.

When I was young I took things sportingly, bonded as I was with him with all the love and affection . But when I grew up, I as a young lady, resented his ambling in loin cloth inside the house. Many times there were wordy duels causing resentment and anger between us. But marriage brought relief to all my ordeals and I eagerly awaited the day I could fly away from my cocooned nest.

With my marriage over I happily stepped in to my mother in laws place -literally teeming with people. My husband being the youngest of a dozen I was happily enjoying all the attention I got from his family members.

After a few days I remembered when I woke up that it was a Saturday. Sighing with a welcome relief of having got away from my usual grandpa’s oil ritual I started to the bathroom to brush my teeth. A few steps ahead, I literally froze on my foot steps-with a stunning scenario that unfurled before me. There my Mom-in-law was standing holding a huge cup of oil in her hand . Standing in front of her were all my brother-in-laws - clad in loin cloth!!!

2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

What a wonderful story Agatha83. I have heard the expression oil bath, but I never understood what the ritual consisted of. After reading your piece, I now know that the oil massage is followed by a regular water shower. Brings me relief, for I used to think that an oil bath consisted of oil and nothing else. The oil bathed man continued, I believed, in his oily state for the rest of his life.

In fact, I understand that my wife had a relative, who indulged in oil baths alone and never washed off the oil with water. He lived up to a grand old age. I never saw him, but I understand that he was quite a slippery character that most people avoided.

From Salman Khan to your grandfather was a long journey, full of lovely surprises. The Zulu dance description was the best part of the story. I can well understand that you wouldn't agree to perform the Zulu dance when you grew into a woman from a girl and I can also see what would cause you embarrassment to watch a man, however old, parading around in his loin cloth.

I could visualize the power wielded by Palayam following your grandfather's striptease performance too. The way you wrote, I was transported to the world of dancing geniuses, Zulus to striptease to whatever your brothers-in-law did. So, I was travelling through the dense jungles of Africa to Time Square in New York and then finally to your home wherever that may be and watching with endless delight the oil bath ritual presided over by your mother in law.

It is so well-written that it will stay in my mind for a long, long time. I am sure that you deserve the FP for July.

Btw, I googled up and discovered that Saturday oil bath goes by other names too: Sesame Oil Bath | Ayurvedic Oil Bath | Ennai Kuliyal in Tamil | Gingelly Oil Head Bath | Oil Bath in Tamil Nadu & Indian Head Bath.

oj

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear agatha
    U had me riveted to the wonderful story. Well in my family no lion cloth. And u had them in both
    My grandma used to make me walk on her back. I was a ten year old and had to hold the wall.
    U are a master story teller Agatha.
    Super duper one this.
    Regards
    Kamal

Agatha83 likes this.
  4. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Wow! what a classic write up this is Agatha!
    Like Kamalji calls, you’re a master story teller and I have become your fan already. Simply loving it.

I come from up a family where oil bath is a tradition for everyone in the family on Saturday. My Achamma used to prepare the virgin coconut oil from coconut milk at home and list of herbs were blended into it. Body massage oil and hair oil had different recipes. These oils and the herbal bathing powders were made once in a month. Gosh! The preparation itself used to be a big ritual. A elaborate process of meticulously collecting the herbs..sundried separately..ground and sieved. The oils were blended at right temperature and the herbs were blended at different stages. And this, for long time was a big family secret recipe that was passed through generations. None of us had any choice, but to use this oil and bath powder only. After my achamma, my My Amma continued the traditions, she used to send stocks that lasted close to 6 months during my hostel days. My hostel roomies were only indulging and I conveniently switched to Sunsilk bath. Hehehe
    Even now she nags when she find those big bottles of Moroccan oils and Macadamia shampoos in the bathroom. Who has the time for oil bath these days, tell me?

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Congrats for being nominated by OJ da, Parineetha and Kamalji. Superb post well narrated as always. Earlier it was a must to take oil bath once ina week, I dont think anyone takes oil bath now a days except a few. When I was working my husband used to have Wednesdays off and myself Saturday and Sunday off. ON Wednesdays my husband used to give oil bath to my children when they were young. My husband still takes oil bath once a week.

Agatha83 and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Oh my Agatha! This sentence alone made me sign to comment! I am still laughing my head off thinking "Poor Agatha! From the frying pan to the fire eh?"! And now Salman to help you....tch tch!

Who hasn't grown up to a weekend with oil baths (though not as ritualistic as yours!) and now when I try to give an oil bath to my kids trying to speak of my childhood, it gets diluted with keeping away from carpets, the quality of soap nut powder being only so so, castor oil rpelaced with coconut oil. oh how it has all changed. But your write up did bring back some forgotten memories and people.

I love reading what you write. It is so vivid and well narrated. Thank you for bringing these snippets to us.

Agatha83 likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

More than the rituals of oil bath, what I was most scared when I was young was the days starting with my mother with an evil smile happily declaring that there was going to be no bournvita after I brush my teeth which means it is a day I need to drink a glass full of black coffee mixed with castor oil. She will give instructions to me how to drink it in one shot so that I don't smell the castor oil. Her argument that keeping the intestine clean through that step every alternative month was most hated both by my brother and myself.

We have to patiently wait until we finish three of four trips to the rest room before we get a piping hot rasam rice in a drinkable state. Later that night, we would get yogurt rice and we were not allowed to eat anything other than these two dishes. That day would never end for both of us. Until I grew up to go to the college that ritual continued.

Frankly, oil bath ritual wasn't that bad and gave us a great sense of relief to our body and good sleep. Fortunately, there was no other women other than my own mother at home. Probably, if I had a sister, she must have been irritated with that ritual.

Viswa

8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear oja,
    How much ever I wish, there is nothing to beat your scholarly writings. I am very much privileged to be among people in IL who have an excellent rapport between themselves and also indulge in quality writing. I just recollect some of my old memories and post them here. Nothing much to boast about my creativity or intelligence.
    In the long walks of our life, some faces and names like Palayam, Muniyamma, Saraswathi - the names of our servant maids who worked for decades with us, is etched in my memory. Paltry amounts of money was paid as salary, but the emotional bond they had with us- one we cannot find anywhere in the present times. Thank you for the remarkable appreciation coming from you and also one for nominating my thread.

Regards,
    Agatha83

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    kaniths and ojaantrik like this.
  9. curiousgals78

curiousgals78 Gold IL'ite

:grinning::grinning: very nice post indeed. my mom always told us this story of my paternal grandfather and she hated it so much going there. all those cloths would be lined up in rows and she said she literally hated having to go in between.
    your narration is simply superb outlining the details and the ending with having to face similiar situation in inlaws home too was hilarious :roflmao:

Agatha83 likes this.
  10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame